Thoughts on Jacurri

What stuck out to me was that I was very unimpressed with his running ability and escape ability, which is supposed to be his best asset. Not much wiggle or explosiveness in the pocket or in open space.

As for his throwing, he looked a bit better than last year but he still cannot see the field well, doesn’t throw on time, throws behind receivers, which doesn’t allow them to get yac and it’s obvious that the whole process of passing is a struggle for him. There is no sense of fluidity.

I understand it was his first game this year but he has had a few games last year and many practices already.

Can he take a big leap next year or two? Maybe, but I would bet against it. Hopefully I’m very wrong.

Advertisement
When I look at Jacurri Brown I do not see Cam Newton or Steve Young, or any of the other great dual-threat QB's. When I look at Jacurri Brown I see David Njoku. I see George Kittle.

IMO every day this kid spends trying to cram a square peg in a round hole is a day that he's not working towards his true potential as a football player.

I have nore faith in him thab Emory Williams he is a kid i want to keep in tbe fold. Maybe can back up in 24 with some spot duty nd take over in 25.

He wasnt actyally terrible yesterday but he honestly needs yo be in a more wide open spread scheme also im nit sure Shannon dawson is a qb whisperer for him

X and Horton made some great catches, otherwise his numbers were worse. He throws a solid deep ball but his short pass are a nightmare.

@SWFLHurricane probably noticed but there was only two games after a&m when I felt like this team when hyped and full of energy and it was the games when emory started, Clemson and fsu.

JB seems like a good kid, I hope whether its here or somewhere else he does well.
This kid (Emory) has no quit in him. He's recuperating perfectly, and will only get better. What I really love about him is how studious he is. Why tf do we not get the TEs involved when Emory was playing is moronic. Would have suited him perfectly....instead of 100 Screens, without surveying the field whatsoever.

Advertisement
I think his throwing improved. He had some great throws.

I think in a real offensive system he would look better.

He looked notably slower running the ball than he did last year. And the physicality wasn't the same from last year.

Saw some nice throws including both TDs he threw(yes even the one at the end to X was a slam TD)

He definitely looked lost in that first quarter which included that awful INT where he let that pressure rush him when he had time…

What sucks is I think in the right offense like a Mullen he’s an all conference player… I don’t think Dawson knows how to unlock him properly but I think he could still be very good.

JB isn’t the answer. He needs to transfer out or switch positions, perhaps wide receiver. Maybe add some weight and grow into a tight end.

Emory has potential but we need a starter for next year. We can’t go into 2024 with Emory, Judd, and JB.

Not a winning formula.

Advertisement
I know this isn’t the question but jacurri is more dynamic then Emory but Emory has proven so far to play within the system and make the plays that are there

Listen, JB played well. He played well enough to win. The OC and Cristobal only opened up when we were in desperation. JB should have played the last 4 games. JB is not a finished product ... yet. Clearly he was better than many expected. I hope he stays. I see that he could start in 2025.

30% of JB's game was not on display ... simply because the playbook was limited. Some of the biggest plays a QB makes is when he is trying to go downfield and the QB has to make a play with his legs. Against Rutgers, JB was on a leash.
Serious question. Why did Brown not play a single snap during the season?

He played better than I thought he would and he seems to have improved, but that still doesn't cut it. If he or Emory is our starting QB next year we're in trouble. The one thing I would like to see from this kid is when he takes off and runs, do it with authority, run vertical, not sideline to sideline and knock the **** out of these DB's who try to tackle him.

I can't help but keep thinking that JB is wasting his time trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. I think he should consider becoming a pass catching TE or maybe even better, a Physical monster WR. Those two positions are places he could excel and use his athleticism.

If it was up to me, the best case scenario for JB would be as a physical monster WR, who would also be the primary ballcarrier in the wildcat.

In fact, we need a primary WR1 for 24' and George ain't it. I'd love to see what JB could do in that role. There are several examples of a QB becoming a killer WR, but dipping back into antiquity, Drew Pearson from the old Tom Landry Cowboys is a perfect example of a CFB QB who became a ferocious WR1 in the pros. Love to see JB at least try it.

His future is not at QB, but he has other skills that aren't being utilized.

Advertisement
I've always said that if jacurri brown is ever starting for us then we're in trouble, because we either didn't recruit well enough or injuries ****ed us.

That bowl game didn't convince me otherwise.

I don’t see NFL quarterback, at least for the moment, but i do see the potential to be a **** good College quarterback but under the right coach, like a Dan Mullen. I am rooting for him to find that type of situation. I don’t believe these coaches can get the most out of his potential.

Advertisement
There is some talent there, but he has too many limitations to be a D1 P4 (for now) Starting QB. Miami's coaching turbulence has not helped, but he can't separate from a true Freshman? Alarm bells.
Our staff is too scared to open up the O more than a couple drives a game. Do that and maybe one of the young QBs can gain some confidence and experience in a decent O. Instead, we play scared. Brown has his limits, but he will ALWAYS have his limits if you don't let him work them out. There's a reason parents take training wheels off of bikes. Our staff refuses to do it.

I didn’t think he looked explosive with his runs. Looked stiff and had no wiggle. His arm looked a lot better than I expected but not a QB who can get you to the playoff next year IMO.

Jacurri has a lot of potential but he needs reps. Stop expecting him to be Cam Newton. There isn't a Cam Newton level player on this roster or in the portal. Stupid comparison. The Canes need 4 scholarship QBs on the roster no matter what. A seasoned vet. Jacurri QB2 and hopefully redshirt Emory and Judd.

Advertisement
Back