Thoughts on Ivins mock class

I'm not sure why people think Ivins knows everything, he doesn't, he's guessing based on his own ultra conservative overly hedgy thoughts about who we will or won't sign.

Any info he gets that comes from Miami's staff is based on what they want him to know, they're not telling him exactly who's on our board or how high they are or how hard they're recruiting certain prospects.

The board changes on the daily, they may really like a kid one day & then after some reshuffling & more evaluating might not be as crazy about'em as they previously were.

It's May, the season more than likely will be postponed to far later in the year, there's a good chance there won't be a Paradise camp & who even knows if there will even be a Fall camp, point being, so much is going to change from May to September, to October to Nov-December, it's foolish to assume Ivins or anybody knows exactly how the class will shake out or exactly who the staff feels they have a good chance with.

Ivins word is not the Gospel, he doesn't know more than the actual coaches doing the recruiting, relax, we'll be fine.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why people think Ivins knows everything, he doesn't, he's guessing based on his own ultra conservative overly hedgy thoughts about who we will or won't sign.

Any info he gets that comes from Miami's staff is based on what they want him to know, they're not telling him exactly who's on our board or how high they are or how hard they're recruiting certain prospects.

The board changes on the daily, they may really like a kid one day & then after some reshuffling & more evaluating might not be as crazy about'em as they previously were.

It's May, the season more than likely will be postponed to far later in the year, there's a good chance there won't be a Paradise camp & who even knows if there will even be a Fall camp, point being, so much is going to change from May to September, to October to Nov-December, it's foolish to assume Ivins or anybody knows exactly how the class will shake out or exactly who the staff feels they have a good chance with.

Ivins word is not the Gospel, he doesn't know more than the actual coaches doing the recruiting, relax, we'll be fine.
But Burns ain’t going anywhere. So stop putting that **** out there.

Due to the surrounding circumstances this might be the only time where you can mock a class accurately because of the limited opportunity for players to emerge, fall off or travel.

Advertisement
Agreed. Coaches not winning because of lack of talent is just an excuse. Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, VT, and even UNC (who is getting talent this year). All winning with 3 star talent. In any case, we've had more talant than our division foes for over a decade. So,winning is not based solely on talent.

We had a cupcake schedule last year and couldn't get it done. Last year, there was clearly a culture problem on the team and I believe was handled very poorly. IDK if that changes in one year.

Listen, nobody wants change more than I do...I've been one of the more vocal peeps on this board since its inception. With that said, I've always maintained that Blake was a bigger problem than Manny. You have to stop the incompetence at the root, at the highest level. There is still a part of me that wants to hope Manny can put his analytical intelligence to use and maybe improve as a coach. Last year was an UGLY start. Some unforgiveable losses in there.

With all that said, we are stuck and saddled with THE worst administration in the country. The incompetent, moronic, under-qualified a-hole masquerading as our "athletic director" probably isn't going anywhere cause....well....nobody outside of the fans REALLY care about this program.

So all we can root for is for Manny to get better and for Blake to have backdoored his way into a lucky hire. I'm getting older...I just want the Canes to be good again before my time is up. The relevance to this thread is winning is THE BEST recruiter in the country. It always has been. We just need to take advantage of our Boise State-ish schedule this year and win the games we are suppose to win.

Honestly, that's all this program needs. Win 9 or 10 and you'll see how all the dominoes fall into place. I've long maintained the UM job isn't a difficult one , relative to other college jobs, for this very reason. The fact I don't consider a difficult one and yet we've struggled the way we have speaks to the incompetence that is the transvestite loving athletic director.

UNC has a future top 5 pick at QB and they didn't win much last year... Wisconsin and Iowa have a system that's been in place for years... Manny has been here one year and is still trying to figure out the kind of program he wants. One thing is for sure is he is the only coach we have had since Butch who brought our offense out of the stone ages. He made the 3 best hires on Offense we have made in a very long time.
Hopefully we are on the right track. We need production out of our offense. I am confident that Lashlee will bring the same 40+ per game to Miami.

What is disturbing to me is the culture in the program last year. The culture as much as the offense cost us games. That is on the head coach. I don't know how you turn that around in a year when it was allowed to play out all of last season. Hopefully Manny does a 180 and puts foot to ***, but he doesn't seem like that type of coach....TBC

Way too early for mock classes. These kids change their mind too often. I would bet half names he posted won't sign here.

Listen, nobody wants change more than I do...I've been one of the more vocal peeps on this board since its inception. With that said, I've always maintained that Blake was a bigger problem than Manny. You have to stop the incompetence at the root, at the highest level. There is still a part of me that wants to hope Manny can put his analytical intelligence to use and maybe improve as a coach. Last year was an UGLY start. Some unforgiveable losses in there.

With all that said, we are stuck and saddled with THE worst administration in the country. The incompetent, moronic, under-qualified a-hole masquerading as our "athletic director" probably isn't going anywhere cause....well....nobody outside of the fans REALLY care about this program.

So all we can root for is for Manny to get better and for Blake to have backdoored his way into a lucky hire. I'm getting older...I just want the Canes to be good again before my time is up. The relevance to this thread is winning is THE BEST recruiter in the country. It always has been. We just need to take advantage of our Boise State-ish schedule this year and win the games we are suppose to win.

Honestly, that's all this program needs. Win 9 or 10 and you'll see how all the dominoes fall into place. I've long maintained the UM job isn't a difficult one , relative to other college jobs, for this very reason. The fact I don't consider a difficult one and yet we've struggled the way we have speaks to the incompetence that is the transvestite loving athletic director.
The problem is the culture. We have enough talent to win. Manny put Swag over substance and the team rewarded him with a 6-7 season. Let's see if he corrects his mistakes.

With our weak schedule, 10 wins is the floor for me. You have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and beat the teams that have the same talent level. That's good coaching.

So really, anything less than 10 wins is disappointing to me and I'd feel better with 11 because there isn't any team on our schedule that we could point to and say, "That team is better than us. We should lose to them." There isn't. 9-3 and a bowl win for 10 is ok and a move in the right direction, but who would those 3 losses be to? That's the problem. I'd feel disappointed and dissatisfied. 11-1 or 10-2 regular season, respectable loss to Clemson in the ACC title game, and a New Year's 6 bowl win would right the ship quite nicely.

We really shouldn't lose a regular season game, but I guess we need crawl before we walk and walk before run.

Last edited:
Advertisement

@Liberty City El any insight to where we stand with Alexis?

If Miami wins at least 10 games and the ACC coastal (I think we will), the list is basically irrelevant. I consider that the "7 to 9 win" class list. Below 7 and class might fall apart. 10 or more wins and Miami lands some big fish.

Advertisement
The problem is the culture. We have enough talent to win. Manny put Swag over substance and the team rewarded him with a 6-7 season. Let's see if he corrects his mistakes.

With our weak schedule, 10 wins is the floor for me. You have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and beat the teams that have the same talent level. That's good coaching.

So really, anything less than 10 wins is disappointing to me and I'd feel better with 11 because there isn't any team on our schedule that we could point to and say, "That team is better than us. We should lose to them." There isn't. 9-3 and a bowl win for 10 is ok and a move in the right direction, but who would those 3 losses be to? That's the problem. I'd feel disappointed and dissatisfied. 11-1 or 10-2 regular season, respectable loss to Clemson in the ACC title game, and a New Year's 6 bowl win would right the ship quite nicely.

We really shouldn't lose a regular season game, but I guess we need crawl before we walk and walk before run.

If by culture you mean the culture at the top, the abomination of an administration that doesn't give a rats *** about football and is completely incompetent in regards to the management of the program....then we are in agreement.

There is no other problem because everything else is a symptom. The disease is "leadership" in place that is underqualified to be in their current job descriptions. It's going to take a heck of a lot of luck and light scheduling to overcome the incompetence in the admin department.

Advertisement
If by culture you mean the culture at the top, the abomination of an administration that doesn't give a rats *** about football and is completely incompetent in regards to the management of the program....then we are in agreement.

There is no other problem because everything else is a symptom. The disease is "leadership" in place that is underqualified to be in their current job descriptions. It's going to take a heck of a lot of luck and light scheduling to overcome the incompetence in the admin department.
What does that have to do with the play on tje field or the coaching?

You can be angry about coaching hires and perhaps budgets for increased staffing, but that's about it as far as the administration goes. Once the coach is hired, the coach chooses his staff.

For the past 10 years, the only hire I'm not happy with is Golden. If you go back further it's Randy Shannon, but I don't think you can complain about his hire, just his results. He was former alumni defensive coordinator. Made sense at the time. Richt made sense. Everyone was happy after tje 10 win season thinking we were back. The Diaz hire made sense. I guess the complaint is that the AD didn't go thru the interview processes with other coaches which may have resulted in a different hire.

Who knew. I'm sure they thought Al Golden was going to be Matt Rhule. It is what it is. All we can do is move forward.

What does that have to do with the play on tje field or the coaching?

You can be angry about coaching hires and perhaps budgets for increased staffing, but that's about it as far as the administration goes. Once the coach is hired, the coach chooses his staff.

For the past 10 years, the only hire I'm not happy with is Golden. If you go back further it's Randy Shannon, but I don't think you can complain about his hire, just his results. He was former alumni defensive coordinator. Made sense at the time. Richt made sense. Everyone was happy after tje 10 win season thinking we were back. The Diaz hire made sense. I guess the complaint is that the AD didn't go thru the interview processes with other coaches which may have resulted in a different hire.

Who knew. I'm sure they thought Al Golden was going to be Matt Rhule. It is what it is. All we can do is move forward.

EVERYTHING.

Our last 20 years can be summed up as such....incompetent AD picks incompetent coaches who underperform. That act of underperforming leads to losses that never should have happened . Meanwhile more and more elite local kids going elsewhere....and the vicious cycle continues to no end.

The simple fact EVERY one of our last 5 coaching hires failed to get another division 1 HC job tells you everything you need to know about the decision making of our administration. For the love of God, even Muschamp landed on his feet after the Gators canned him.

I'm all about curing the disease. The symptoms are all the other things you mentioned. To me the root of the problem filters its way all the down the chain and recruiting is one of the things that has suffered as a result.

EVERYTHING.

Our last 20 years can be summed up as such....incompetent AD picks incompetent coaches who underperform. That act of underperforming leads to losses that never should have happened . Meanwhile more and more elite local kids going elsewhere....and the vicious cycle continues to no end.

The simple fact EVERY one of our last 5 coaching hires failed to get another division 1 HC job tells you everything you need to know about the decision making of our administration. For the love of God, even Muschamp landed on his feet after the Gators canned him.

I'm all about curing the disease. The symptoms are all the other things you mentioned. To me the root of the problem filters its way all the down the chain and recruiting is one of the things that has suffered as a result.
I would even say its higher than Blake, if we had people who actually cared and invested in program they would have someone more than a lackey than Blake to run the show. He takes his orders from someone else, he operates on budget given, if they wanted better coaches they would invest. They want to run the program like a mom and pop store while college football has become BIG business in the last 15 years we been twiddling our thumbs.

I would even say its higher than Blake, if we had people who actually cared and invested in program they would have someone more than a lackey than Blake to run the show. He takes his orders from someone else, he operates on budget given, if they wanted better coaches they would invest. They want to run the program like a mom and pop store while college football has become BIG business in the last 15 years we been twiddling our thumbs.

That's a fair point and it's the reason I consistently use the term "administration" as a catch-all for every apathetic incompetent a-hole in that building. Bottom line, this isn't a school that values winning anywhere near as dearly as the current perennial top 6-7 programs. It's more of a "if it comes, it comes" attitude which has infected the Hecht.

Advertisement
Back