Thoughts on Ivins mock class

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
So Ivins releases this today and mentioned he went conservative.

QB Aaron McLaughlin - Ehh I would rather take JT. I personally don’t like that there are complaints about his football intelligence and I would rather take a lower rated QB we could develop...and still take JT.

RB Thad Franklin - As expected.

WR Malik Nabers - He doesn’t like his CB to UM that much anymore. Either or this would be great

WR Jacolby George - Being how this class ended up in this mock it makes sense. No Alexis or Yul would end up with Jacolby. Talented kid so I definitely wouldn’t be upset but that fact that Alexis isn’t here is disappointing.

WR Romello Brinson - Mello over Alexis? Idk about that. A & M is a threat as we already know but I personally believe Mello has a lesser chance than Jaden.

TE Kahlil Brantley - Expected

TE Elijah Arroyo - Expected

OL Ryan Rodriguez - Expected

OL Laurence Seymore - Expected

OL Michael McLaughlin - Expected

DL Allan Haye - Expected

DL Christopher Thomas - 2 run stoppers? Ok I guess since we’re taking 3.

DL George Rooks - Um what? So this is sort of possible I guess because he’s leaning to the Orange but this would require a visit. Talented kid and he’s def a pass rusher but what?

DE Jabari Ishmael - expected

DE Sebastian Sagar- Doesn’t make sense and you see why once you get to the bottom of this list. Talented kid but it doesn’t make sense.

LB Tyler Johnson - expected

LB Ja'Corey Hammett - So there’s no Chase Smith making this take awful. I don’t care how good of an edge rusher he is. Him over Chase Smith would be horrendous.

LB Jaydon Hood - So good news. Apparently the Michigan people who put the CB in don’t know his mom went to UM.

CB Malik Curtis - Expected

CB Tim Burns Jr. - Over Tar’Varish? Yikes. I’m not even going to say it.

CB Kevin Knowles - Again over Tar’Varish. It’s not as bad as Tim Burns but still if he’s being conservative how is he not here? I wouldn’t be mad if Kevin got in but I wouldn’t be thrilled either.

S Kamren Kinchens - So he says safety isn’t a glaring need and I sort of agree. I would probably go Kam over anybody not named James.

K Andres Borregales - Expected

ATH Chamon Metayer - And this is why Sager doesn’t make sense. Everybody knows he’s only here if he plays DE so unless there’s info he’s playing DE why is he here? And if he is why is Sager here?

Thoughts overall: Yikes. No Jaden Alexis, no Yul, No Dawson, no Chase Smith, DL class is ok but there’s no proof of it, the CB class is underwhelming, and some of this I just don’t get. I would love to get Rooks but we’re not really involved. I don’t see how Yul wouldn’t be here if Jaden says no when HE said he’s behind Jaden. No Chase Smith even as the athlete is inexcusable. How would you let a kid(who’s a legacy) like that walk? What’s your thoughts?

Advertisement
It's disappointing but its probably close to reality at this juncture. Hopefully we win and win big this season and hopefully that lands us a few on the fence/surprise type impact players. This class is almost devoid of impact talent as is.

As for Sager and Rooks I'd love to see it...Gotta think NJ/NY kids want to get the f**k outta there right now. I've had Rooks as a possibility for a while now, although it was a pure specalutory play.

3 OL would be very disappointing, hopefully we can add to great start of OL class, maybe Moise gets in and helps there who knows.

Glad to see we are in play with some great WR prospects...Don't get me wrong, I like Alexis better than George but George is too good on his own to sit around and wait for a bunch of what-ifs. 3 of Nabers, Brinson, George, Y.Brown, Alexis, and **** even Q.Skinner or Malcolm Johnson maybe as a dark horse and that is an awesome 3 no matter which 3 it is, especially because I think Curtis could end up there. Maybe take your 3 and wait on Brinson or Alexis no matter what?

Dawson isn't a must get for me with Curtis on board, I'd be fine with him...But prefer Knowles. And obviously Burns is going nowhere if he wants in.

I'd rather DB look like this (not including Curtis)

CB Burns
CB Cooper or Riley
DB Knowles or Gonzales
S Kinchens or Miller or one of the Bayou kids

And **** take a 5th if you have room, although obv I'm not sure we will, and of course as of now they are saying Curtis is a corner.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’d think we’d take 4 WR. We did last year but only Payton in 19 and only have two of four left from 18.

We need to stock up and Alexis is/should be #1 on board.

Curious to hear what D$ thinks is the deal with Smith and the slow play/no play.

Bottom line, we have to win games and at the very least...stop losing the ones we have no business losing. All the apologists want to continually give the coaching staff a pass because we don't have "elite" talent, well you get better talent by not losing the games you have enough talent to win in the first place. Kids and their parents want to see stability and a program with an upward trajectory. With the schedule we have this year the staff should be executed at high noon if they don't win at least 9 games.

You win 9 or 10 games, and guys like Alexis and Chase Smith will come. Period. Zero excuses.

Advertisement

QB Aaron McLaughlin - Ehh I would rather take JT. I personally don’t like that there are complaints about his football intelligence and I would rather take a lower rated QB we could develop...and still take JT.

WR Malik Nabers - He doesn’t like his CB to UM that much anymore. Either or this would be great

WR Jacolby George - Being how this class ended up in this mock it makes sense. No Alexis or Yul would end up with Jacolby. Talented kid so I definitely wouldn’t be upset but that fact that Alexis isn’t here is disappointing.

WR Romello Brinson - Mello over Alexis? Idk about that. A & M is a threat as we already know but I personally believe Mello has a lesser chance than Jaden.

DL Allan Haye - Expected

DL George Rooks - Um what? So this is sort of possible I guess because he’s leaning to the Orange but this would require a visit. Talented kid and he’s def a pass rusher but what?

DE Sebastian Sagar- Doesn’t make sense and you see why once you get to the bottom of this list. Talented kid but it doesn’t make sense.

LB Ja'Corey Hammett - So there’s no Chase Smith making this take awful. I don’t care how good of an edge rusher he is. Him over Chase Smith would be horrendous.

LB Jaydon Hood - So good news. Apparently the Michigan people who put the CB in don’t know his mom went to UM.

CB Kevin Knowles - Again over Tar’Varish. It’s not as bad as Tim Burns but still if he’s being conservative how is he not here? I wouldn’t be mad if Kevin got in but I wouldn’t be thrilled either.

S Kamren Kinchens - So he says safety isn’t a glaring need and I sort of agree. I would probably go Kam over anybody not named James.

ATH Chamon Metayer - And this is why Sager doesn’t make sense. Everybody knows he’s only here if he plays DE so unless there’s info he’s playing DE why is he here? And if he is why is Sager here?

Thoughts overall: Yikes. No Jaden Alexis, no Yul, No Dawson, no Chase Smith, DL class is ok but there’s no proof of it, the CB class is underwhelming, and some of this I just don’t get. I would love to get Rooks but we’re not really involved. I don’t see how Yul wouldn’t be here if Jaden says no when HE said he’s behind Jaden. No Chase Smith even as the athlete is inexcusable. How would you let a kid(who’s a legacy) like that walk? What’s your thoughts?
Knowles is a pure better CB, and that's a fact, Dawson is obviously faster and has the tools to be a good CB so I agree with yo statement on him over Burns, but Knowles a dog.

Advertisement
This is all based on coming off a horrible season and also no visits being taken.... I mean did y'all expect anything better? Let's not forget it is a PREDICTION.

Advertisement
Bottom line, we have to win games and at the very least...stop losing the ones we have no business losing. All the apologists want to continually give the coaching staff a pass because we don't have "elite" talent, well you get better talent by not losing the games you have enough talent to win in the first place. Kids and their parents want to see stability and a program with an upward trajectory. With the schedule we have this year the staff should be executed at high noon if they don't win at least 9 games.

You win 9 or 10 games, and guys like Alexis and Chase Smith will come. Period. Zero excuses.
Agreed. Coaches not winning because of lack of talent is just an excuse. Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, VT, and even UNC (who is getting talent this year). All winning with 3 star talent. In any case, we've had more talant than our division foes for over a decade. So,winning is not based solely on talent.

We had a cupcake schedule last year and couldn't get it done. Last year, there was clearly a culture problem on the team and I believe was handled very poorly. IDK if that changes in one year.

DL Allan Haye - Expected

The folks over at CaneReport have a mock class up today also. I like their class better, although it is a tough taste of reality. They don't think the class winds up in the top15. Good read on Saturday morning.

Advertisement
Back