Thomas Davis Commits!!!!

How many years before high school games are taped in a watchable resolution and frame rate?

How many DE->ILB conversions before the staff realizes it doesn't work?

I like Thomas Davis the same way I liked Sam Brooks Jr. - as subpackage pass rushers and special teams guys.

Advertisement

Micah Parsons, Rashaan Evans and Kenneth Murray all made the transition with great success. There are plenty more, those are just first round guys. Ryan Shazier would be a local example. Davis has also played a bunch of off-ball LB as a senior.

As for Brooks, he’s playing through a bad foot injury. We will hopefully get a better evaluation on him next year.

How many years before high school games are taped in a watchable resolution and frame rate?

I like Thomas Davis the same way I liked Sam Brooks Jr. - as subpackage pass rushers and special teams guys.
Wouldnt really be a conversion..considering dude has played his full sr season as a MLB.

The coaching he is getting at his high school is probably light years ahead of what Line backers get in south florida. I mean i coached high school ball last year on a team with 2 div 1 lb recruits and we didnt even have a Linebacker coach.

Micah Parsons, Rashaan Evans and Kenneth Murray all made the transition with great success. There are plenty more, those are just first round guys. Ryan Shazier would be a local example. Davis has also played a bunch of off-ball LB as a senior.

As for Brooks, he’s playing through a bad foot injury. We will hopefully get a better evaluation on him next year.
I want to see Brooks play with more instinct. Our linebackers wait too long to react. That would be my biggest gripe

Advertisement

Even with the injury, Sam Brooks just got his first start against one of the better offenses we'll see this year and he was significantly more productive in that role. I don't know how much more obvious it can get for the staff that Brooks needs to play over McCloud more than he already does. They made a change against NC State (believe the snap count was Brooks - 34 McCloud- 31) and I'd like to see that trend continue. Too many times we see McCloud just get swallowed up on the edge or washed out of the play by running into a block. I don't know for sure but I feel very confident in saying McCould has never had a game in a hurricane jersey as productive as Brooks did on Saturday ( 7 tackles 1 TFL 1 SK). Brooks has transitioned well to the college linebacker roll so far. Also I'm looking at the people that were calling this kid out for decommitting in December and then recommitting, there were some talking about that it was ok if he leaves bc of his ranking and other nonsense. He's a SoFlo kid and a mf dawg don't count him out that's why we consistently see SoFlo kids pop up with success in other places.

A lot HS programs (especially South Florida) put guys like Thomas Davis and Sam Brooks on the edge to rush the passer in HS. Sam brooks a edge rusher at MNW..but he is not a edge rusher type at this level. He’s a linebacker for sure. His development at that spot was for sure limited at the HS level. A lot of college defense do the same in regards to this. It’s nothing unique to Miami

Even with the injury, Sam Brooks just got his first start against one of the better offenses we'll see this year and he was significantly more productive in that role. I don't know how much more obvious it can get for the staff that Brooks needs to play over McCloud more than he already does. They made a change against NC State (believe the snap count was Brooks - 34 McCloud- 31) and I'd like to see that trend continue. Too many times we see McCloud just get swallowed up on the edge or washed out of the play by running into a block. I don't know for sure but I feel very confident in saying McCould has never had a game in a hurricane jersey as productive as Brooks did on Saturday ( 7 tackles 1 TFL 1 SK). Brooks has transitioned well to the college linebacker roll so far. Also I'm looking at the people that were calling this kid out for decommitting in December and then recommitting, there were some talking about that it was ok if he leaves bc of his ranking and other nonsense. He's a SoFlo kid and a mf dawg don't count him out that's why we consistently see SoFlo kids pop up with success in other places.
The hate for McCloud lol..I still love Brooks upside in this scheme. But he’s not clear cut better than 53 at this point. The snap count between those 2 has been fair. Hopefully the light comes on for Brooks down the stretch. But he’s not at the point where he is clearly out preforming him

Advertisement
I want to see Brooks play with more instinct. Our linebackers wait too long to react. That would be my biggest gripe
Gogeta just explained why. The coaching in HS locally is lacking. The particular aptitude and instincts of the player also will determine their ability to convert especially when their size and athleticism requires the conversion to LB. Notice Flagg though limited physically is probably as a True Fr the Most instinctive of all the LB’s on the roster. Flagg also was a 4 yr starter at LB at the highest division in Texas where he got premium coaching. No matter Davis ranking if he brings instincts and coaching with that athleticism he becomes to me the top LB in our class!

Advertisement
Which is more impressive, Davis chasing down this running back or Kinchens chasing down Amari Daniels?
Both pretty impressive!! What Davis did at his size is hard to beat! Kinchens more than likely ran down the faster of both RB’s. Davis size IMO gives him a slight edge. Both were very athletic plays and Kinchens play ultimately preserved a close win!

Yes. Current staff seems to pass in favor of length at DE. They passed on Uche, Bonitto, Chatfield, Calijah Kancey, etc for more length.
Did we pass on uche tho? I recall him leaving the class don’t remember the reason other than the fact that we weren’t good

Advertisement
I've been saying MLB for this kid since the moment early summer when he first popped as a possibility. He's not just a straight-line edge rusher, has good lateral movement, too. Will be a beast here. Maybe that's why Manny isn't pursuing Hood or T2 as aggressively? He's already got 3 LBs + Smith and is out of space.

I've been saying MLB for this kid since the moment early summer when he first popped as a possibility. He's not just a straight-line edge rusher, has good lateral movement, too. Will be a beast here. Maybe that's why Manny isn't pursuing Hood or T2 as aggressively? He's already got 3 LBs + Smith and is out of space.
Very true. I guess in my eyes..T2 is like Maason Smith..you find room for him because its clear if MSmith wants in Manny will make the room somehow. Maybe he doesnt view T2 in the same light like us fans do.

Wouldnt really be a conversion..considering dude has played his full sr season as a MLB.

The coaching he is getting at his high school is probably light years ahead of what Line backers get in south florida. I mean i coached high school ball last year on a team with 2 div 1 lb recruits and we didnt even have a Linebacker coach.
He has the frame and lateral movement to play LB, unlike Brooks. I will need to see more than just running down ballcarriers to be convinced he has the footwork, processing and angles to play LB at Miami. I'm not into making projections for development when there's no evidence that LBs actually develop under this staff.

And you would think I have enough of a track record not to get dumbvoted for recruiting analysis but this is CIS after all. God forbid anyone shares an opinion that veers from the (usually incorrect) consensus.

Im From Harrisburg PA, Same hometown and shady McCoy and Micah Parsons.
Micah played edge rusher all throughout high school but clearly had more than enough athletic ability to play LB and now look....
Ive seen Micah line up and corner against 4star WR and completely shut them down.
Not saying this kid is Parsons but what I'm saying is edge rushers have been converted to true LBers and have excelled.

Advertisement
Back