Thomas Davis Commits!!!!

I will need to see more than just running down ballcarriers to be convinced he has the footwork, processing and angles to play LB at Miami. I'm not into making projections for development when there's no evidence that LBs actually develop under this staff.

So true. Even if a kid has the raw materials, does he have the brains, and do we have the coaches to get him there? The good thing about positions like RB, WR, CB is that So FL kids have been playing the position since they were 4 or 5. So even without good coaching they are instinctual. Not the same for LB or Safety the way Diaz uses them. They need the instincts, but they also need to be coachable, and have good coaches to coach them up.

Hopefully Davis is already getting some of that coaching this season, since he's been moved to LB by his high school team.

Advertisement
So true. Even if a kid has the raw materials, does he have the brains, and do we have the coaches to get him there? The good thing about positions like RB, WR, CB is that So FL kids have been playing the position since they were 4 or 5. So even without good coaching they are instinctual. Not the same for LB or Safety the way Diaz uses them. They need the instincts, but they also need to be coachable, and have good coaches to coach them up.

Hopefully Davis is already getting some of that coaching this season, since he's been moved to LB by his high school team.
I've been very impressed by the quality and now ubiquity of private position coaching for WRs in South Florida. You can see the skill development with the '21 commits and a number of recent signees for other schools. I think Miami was the outlier in recent years recruiting the few high-rated kids who were raw stepping on campus. But even those kids have developed to a degree.

And CB development mostly goes hand in hand with WRs when they train in the offseason. RB has always been rich and skilled.

I've been very impressed by the quality and now ubiquity of private position coaching for WRs in South Florida. You can see the skill development with the '21 commits and a number of recent signees for other schools. I think Miami was the outlier in recent years recruiting the few high-rated kids who were raw stepping on campus. But even those kids have developed to a degree.

And CB development mostly goes hand in hand with WRs when they train in the offseason. RB has always been rich and skilled.
i remember i was coaching 11u optomist ball...and a few of my wrs had to run routes similar to high school jv level kids ..THEN. Those kids are now 8th and 9th graders and coming into their own at the positions. Those kids all did optomist, 7 on 7 circuit along with private coaching as 11 year olds.

South florida is sort of catching up to other states when it comes to this. These are things that tx and cali have had for years.

Im From Harrisburg PA, Same hometown and shady McCoy and Micah Parsons.
Micah played edge rusher all throughout high school but clearly had more than enough athletic ability to play LB and now look....
Ive seen Micah line up and corner against 4star WR and completely shut them down.
Not saying this kid is Parsons but what I'm saying is edge rushers have been converted to true LBers and have excelled.

I admit with how big he was coming in, i never expected him to stick at LB.

Advertisement
He has the frame and lateral movement to play LB, unlike Brooks. I will need to see more than just running down ballcarriers to be convinced he has the footwork, processing and angles to play LB at Miami. I'm not into making projections for development when there's no evidence that LBs actually develop under this staff.

And you would think I have enough of a track record not to get dumbvoted for recruiting analysis but this is CIS after all. God forbid anyone shares an opinion that veers from the (usually incorrect) consensus.
you can't pretend like shaq and pinckney don't exist. also why do you expect ppl to remember your posts? lol

I was in the same boat until I was on the Sideline for a game, HBG high and my Alma Mater and he seen him up close and how he moved. Kid is special.

I agree - i saw him in the standup OLB position 1st game and was puzzled until i saw him move. He was a little hesitant early on, not trusting his eyes.....but that ended quickly. He got better with every rep with his bowl game last year being his best yet.

I watched some clips of him and Oweh running the circle drill....the kid can move and bend. Oweh is a freak athlete but Parsons is a freak athlete who produces on the field with those traits.

you can't pretend like shaq and pinckney don't exist. also why do you expect ppl to remember your posts? lol
Shaq and Pinckney are the cases that prove the point. High-rated recruits who arrived ready to start and never developed or improved much from their freshman years.

People should remember my posts because there are only a handful of posters on here providing actual evaluations and analysis and afaik only 2 exist who actually know what they're talking about and don't just regurgitate conformist nonsense.

Shaq and Pinckney are the cases that prove the point. High-rated recruits who arrived ready to start and never developed or improved much from their freshman years.

People should remember my posts because there are only a handful of posters on here providing actual evaluations and analysis and afaik only 2 exist who actually know what they're talking about and don't just regurgitate conformist nonsense.
lol pinckney wasn't even a top 500 recruit and he had his best year as a senior. you can't just re-write history when there are things like statistics widely available on the internet.

Advertisement

I agree overall that I do not see our LB being developed the way they should. The fact Manny had 3 4year starters and the room is still a weakness after we should have been able to sit and develop kids is baffling. I get it injuries etc. hit them hard (Steed, Wilder, Jennings, Joyner unsure what he wants to do) but I say that to say this,

Unsure if Shaq and Pinck prove your point. Wasnt Pinck a lower 3 star recruit not even ranked in the top 500? I know the board was high on him but I do not recall him being highly rated and felt he definitely out performed his rating.

Shaq was a manchild the moment he walked on Campus and was solid for 4 years. Lack of overall speed I think hampered him in not being an AA but he had great instincts, hit hard, knew his keys and was drafted in the 4th round. With his measurables I think he was developed fine.

lol pinckney wasn't even a top 500 recruit and he had his best year as a senior. you can't just re-write history when there are things like statistics widely available on the internet.

He was an 89 and the #12 ILB. I thought he was a 4* but regardless I was much higher on him (and Shaq) at the time. I had McCloud projected best as an undersized edge rusher because of poor lateral movement and raw LB skills. McCloud developed better than I imagined but he still struggles tackling in space and changing directions in coverage due to the aforementioned stiffness. Gotta stop recruiting those Mathis and Hood types.

i remember i was coaching 11u optomist ball...and a few of my wrs had to run routes similar to high school jv level kids ..THEN. Those kids are now 8th and 9th graders and coming into their own at the positions. Those kids all did optomist, 7 on 7 circuit along with private coaching as 11 year olds.

South florida is sort of catching up to other states when it comes to this. These are things that tx and cali have had for years.
Are you saying youth coaches in south are COACHING the athletes now..crazy to think how many pure athletes we got down here who never got proper coaching until maybe HS varsity. That’s if they didn’t lose interest in the sport by then

Advertisement

Attachments

• tumblr_nh3o0eyW5A1sj4xr4o1_500_zpsgr6gsl08.0-1.gif
    tumblr_nh3o0eyW5A1sj4xr4o1_500_zpsgr6gsl08.0-1.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Advertisement
I might just bump my posts from last summer telling yall Biden was going to win Georgia and Arizona for good measure.

Just please don't bump my posts about Richt opening up the offense for FSU 🤣
good bump..UM has already offered some of the 9th graders i spoke about coaching a few post up lol.

Advertisement
Back