Thomas brown said..

Advertisement
While many in the recruiting industry haven't given Miami much of a chance to pull Smith away from Nick Saban or LSU, the speedy wideout told 247Sports' Tom Loy on Wednesday during media day for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl that the Hurricanes are very much a contender in his recruitment.

"[Mark Richt] is a great man," Smith said when asked what stands out about UM.

"He's a godly man, so that's something that I look at. Just the way that he handles things is something that I like. Just the way that they are doing things and the way that they are trying to bring the U back to the way that it was is something like that."

Smith also appears to also be a fan of Miami wide receiver coach Ron Dugans, who went in-home with Smith's family last month and also attended a Amite game during the Hurricanes' bye week.

"He's like a teacher and like a mentor. He teaches you life lessons and tells you about life," Smith said.

Smith visited Coral Gables back in July for Richt's inaugural Paradise Camp. He returned during the season to watch the Hurricanes host North Carolina before attending games at both Alabama and LSU.

The top-ranked prospect in Louisiana hasn't tipped his hat much about what will be the deciding factors when he finally makes a commitment and signs with the school of his choice, but it should be noted that he was previously committed to Richt when the veteran head coach had an office at Georgia and he appears to still value that relationship.

Getting ready for the meltdown when he chooses Bama

While many in the recruiting industry haven't given Miami much of a chance to pull Smith away from Nick Saban or LSU, the speedy wideout told 247Sports' Tom Loy on Wednesday during media day for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl that the Hurricanes are very much a contender in his recruitment.

Really think in the end he chooses either us or LSU.. most likely LSU

Getting excited now boys we about to hit this home stretch with recruiting. Mark Richt ain't Golden and we just one a big bowl game. We about to feel some momentum baby!

This. I think the longer he waits, the less likely he ends up at Alabama. The numbers are starting to work against him. I know everyone says that you just bring them in and the numbers work themselves out, but it's not that simple. If they land the 2 DT's and the local WR Ruggs, even after losing Dean they'll be at 28. Usually they have a couple kids greyshirt, but when you're only signing 4* and 5* across the board, it's getting harder to do that. It's hard to determine exact numbers, but you can only count back so many, plus you can only have 85 on scholarship per semester. There's just so much to figure out and while there are a lot of loopholes, it's not simply "sign them and figure it out later".

Not only that, Ruggs would make 3 true WR's and they have a 4* ATH enrolling this month who is starting his career at WR. Plus they could always land another AL 4* WR in Nico Collins though he seems to be leaning Michigan. They have at least 6 WR coming back, possibly 8 if they don't force transfers, who were all 4* WR. Smith is good, but hes not enrolling early and he's not at a position of need. If the numbers are close, Smith would probably be left on the outside. I don't see Saban kicking any Defensive, OL or RB commits to the curb, so WR commits would be first left behind, with Smith probably being last on the list of priorities. Saban doesn't seem like the type to have 10-12 scholarship WR on the roster when only 4 might see snaps in a game.

I think Smith ends up at LSU, if Alabama lands at least those 2 DT's and Ruggs. If they miss out on anyone or get an unexpected decommit or two, I think Smith picks Alabama. Just seems Miami is no better than the runner up.

Also, what a nice position to be in if your Alabama. You can potentially turn away top ten WR recruits because you've already got 3-4 others you'll sign. And not one of them cares that you are a power running team who only plays 3 WR's. After Ridley, Stewart and Dieter, Diggs is their 4th WR and he barely touched the ball. Crazy.

Advertisement

This. I think the longer he waits, the less likely he ends up at Alabama. The numbers are starting to work against him. I know everyone says that you just bring them in and the numbers work themselves out, but it's not that simple. If they land the 2 DT's and the local WR Ruggs, even after losing Dean they'll be at 28. Usually they have a couple kids greyshirt, but when you're only signing 4* and 5* across the board, it's getting harder to do that. It's hard to determine exact numbers, but you can only count back so many, plus you can only have 85 on scholarship per semester. There's just so much to figure out and while there are a lot of loopholes, it's not simply "sign them and figure it out later".

Not only that, Ruggs would make 3 true WR's and they have a 4* ATH enrolling this month who is starting his career at WR. Plus they could always land another AL 4* WR in Nico Collins though he seems to be leaning Michigan. They have at least 6 WR coming back, possibly 8 if they don't force transfers, who were all 4* WR. Smith is good, but hes not enrolling early and he's not at a position of need. If the numbers are close, Smith would probably be left on the outside. I don't see Saban kicking any Defensive, OL or RB commits to the curb, so WR commits would be first left behind, with Smith probably being last on the list of priorities. Saban doesn't seem like the type to have 10-12 scholarship WR on the roster when only 4 might see snaps in a game.

I think Smith ends up at LSU, if Alabama lands at least those 2 DT's and Ruggs. If they miss out on anyone or get an unexpected decommit or two, I think Smith picks Alabama. Just seems Miami is no better than the runner up.

Also, what a nice position to be in if your Alabama. You can potentially turn away top ten WR recruits because you've already got 3-4 others you'll sign. And not one of them cares that you are a power running team who only plays 3 WR's. After Ridley, Stewart and Dieter, Diggs is their 4th WR and he barely touched the ball. Crazy.

They have guys likely leaving for the draft too.

One thing people RARELY ever think about is how the recruits feel as players when they go to 'Bama to workout at camps.

Jerry always said that he felt like he was a better player after leaving 'Bama. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

That combined with Mom = 'Bama.

logic has to come into play too... They have a true freshman QB that cant throw the ball, bomb OL and monster RBs = you aint gonna shine much

and its not like Bama WR are lighting it up all across the NFL right now either

Julio and cooper.

Were those 2 catching passes from Hurts? The offense with Hurts is completely different than it was with McElroy and McCarron.

They have guys likely leaving for the draft too.

25 per year is a hard number. Only way around it is attributing guys to last year's class. I don't know if they have space to attribute to last year's class.

"[Mark Richt] is a great man," Smith said when asked what stands out about UM.

"He's a godly man, so that's something that I look at. Just the way that he handles things is something that I like. Just the way that they are doing things and the way that they are trying to bring the U back to the way that it was is something like that."

Smith also appears to also be a fan of Miami wide receiver coach Ron Dugans, who went in-home with Smith's family last month and also attended a Amite game during the Hurricanes' bye week.

"He's like a teacher and like a mentor. He teaches you life lessons and tells you about life," Smith said.

Smith visited Coral Gables back in July for Richt's inaugural Paradise Camp. He returned during the season to watch the Hurricanes host North Carolina before attending games at both Alabama and LSU.

The top-ranked prospect in Louisiana hasn't tipped his hat much about what will be the deciding factors when he finally makes a commitment and signs with the school of his choice, but it should be noted that he was previously committed to Richt when the veteran head coach had an office at Georgia and he appears to still value that relationship.

Another dude talking about God and religion, who will likely sign with Satan incarnate at Alabaga. Orgeron has a very spotty history with ungodly actions too.

Advertisement
A silent commit is like a tree falling in the forest.

Last edited:
if smith goes to bama with jeudy that means we get pope in 18'. no way he goes there to sit behind those 2. Pope may stop the pipeline of south florida wr studs going to bama.

if smith goes to bama with jeudy that means we get pope in 18'. no way he goes there to sit behind those 2. Pope may stop the pipeline of south florida wr studs going to bama.

Pope doesn't sit behind Jeudy or Smith. Period.

Advertisement
One thing people RARELY ever think about is how the recruits feel as players when they go to 'Bama to workout at camps.

Jerry always said that he felt like he was a better player after leaving 'Bama. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

All the improvement in the world isn't gonna help in a run heavy offense that's led by a qb that can't even do the job.
So Bama is getting 3 of the top 5 WRs?

All the improvement in the world isn't gonna help in a run heavy offense that's led by a qb that can't even do the job.

They love to block.

Advertisement

They love to block.

That's all I can figure

WRs going to Alabaga is like fat guys going to Kale Fest.

But, yeah, Billy Napier is wunderkind, who coaches them up better than anyone.

They love to block.

That's all I can figure

Alabama only brought in 2 WR's last year and the best one, Trevon Diggs, ain't seen the field much outside of returning kicks. What happens with the 4 they'll sign this year?

Edit:
Checked the stats, Diggs has 11 catches for 88 yards and a TD. I suppose he's waiting for Ridley to leave so he can take over. Like Shavers, Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith will be doing, and the other 5 4* WR's already on the roster. Good luck kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back