This says it all about the Golden philosophy:

So Dallas was our starting safety pretty much because he is good at Madden?
Actually he was a corner in high school..but not safety so retardo I wanna play 3-4 with lineman that weigh 245 pounds up there contradicted himself

Last edited:
Advertisement
What was more striking about that video was guys like Coley and Lice going along with it with a "yeah, you right, boss" answer.

Worst thing about the whole video is the comparision to Deon Bush
i found it funny how he said his best safeties were all elite at playing safety his elite safeties were jaiquan Jarrett and Deon bush and they both weren't really elite and both run at least low 4.6

Reed was a film junkie, had great work ethic, the classic over-achiever...had very little, or nothing to do with "instinct".
If it was "instinct", He would've been ballin' from day 1...fact of the matter is, Reed didn't blow up till His RS-Jr. year.
Again, when Reed was a freshman & sophomore, He looked like a freshman & sophomore.
To give you an example, go back and watch the 98' UCLA game, that entire secondary He was a part of was horrible.
And remember, Reed was a 5 year player, He wasn't some "3 & Done" dude,
Only cat in recent memory that was A1 from Day1 was Sean Taylor.

Last edited:
The problem with "he understands the position" is that pretty much every power 5 player is going to understand their position. If the recruiting team at the University of Miami is looking at a player, that he "understands his position" should be the floor. What you need to find is the difference between players who "understand their position." That difference is athleticism. Understanding your position doesn't cover, catch, or disrupt another player who understands his position but is an *** ton faster. Being instinctive and proficient doesn't make up for being a sloth. You ain't beating top tier teams just by understanding your position.
I understand how to play outfield really well, I can't believe I'm sitting on the couch.. oh wait, yeah I do, I'm not MLB level athletic.

But guess what, ANYONE CAN LEARN HOW TO MAKE READS. A FIVE YEAR OLD CAN BE TAUGHT HOW TO BACKPEDDLE.

But not everyone is born with the physical gifts to play like this, and that's what matters most

exactly. hence my argument that football is an easy sport to learn and requires the least amount of skill out of all major sports.

Advertisement
First post here! Been lurking around the boards since our coaching search started. First must admit I am extremely excited about the Richt hiring.
This video was an absolute disgrace. Watching No-D talking about the "best safeties" he has coached made me cringe. This is not Temple. I know football is not about 40 times but Hurley definitely seemed to know what we need here for Miami football. Larry Scott seemed like a total yes-man.

Keep Hurley and Kevin Beard. I know some of you want to completely clean house but I do believe Beard did a great job coaching the receivers this year. He's a class act and becoming a **** of a coach - I hope Richt sees the same.

"Football is not about 40 times." Biggest part of NFL Combine evaluations is 40 times.

Advertisement
The end vote of a recruiting evaluation like this should be handled confidentially. Each coach should watch film on the player, conduct their own confidential evaluation, and vote on a score card "Yes" or "No". That information should go into a database that explains rationale behind decision. Ultimate decision s/b based on numbers of >80% "Yes" or "No". In this manner coaches are freer to express their rationale without fear of repercussions or ridicule.

What we saw in this film is the true definition of a controlling dictatorship. As the saying goes, "One person can come up with a good idea, however a group of people can come up with a better idea".

Originally I was all for getting rid of everyone on the staff. After watching that, Hurlie can stay. He's the only one in that room that know what type of athletes are expected at the University of Miami.

[video=youtube_share;OUNDZkWYqjA]https://youtu.be/OUNDZkWYqjA[/video]

First of all, it reeks of a yes man staff that all just agrees with a predetermined opinion made by Golden/Donofrio. Guys that are just happy to have the jobs at a school they have no business. Ice is a complete moron, Scott is an *** kisser, Corley might have 2 total brain cells, and D'Onofrio is a know it all who basically controlled the dialogue to fit his ideal of a Safety.

The only guy in that room who actually understands Miami football is Hurlie Brown. That man saw INSTANTLY that the player they were evaluating doesn't have the explosive athleticism required to play at Miami. He understands, as most long time fans do, that Miami was built not by recruiting the best high school players, but the best athletes, and finding a position that maximized their speed.

You cannot coach speed and athleticism. Hurlie is the ONLY ONE IN THE ROOM that gets that. It's why you have Dallas Crawford starting. B/c Crawford "knows how to make the checks and can read run pass". Well guess what ********, it's your job to teach players how to do that and if they can't THATS ON YOU.

What you DON'T do at the U of Miami is go out and recruit a kid b/c he has better coaching and a better staff, despite a lack of athleticism. It's completely counter to the very identity that built our program. For fvcks sake Warren Sapp was a goddam FULLBACK. Sean Taylor was a running back who played DB but I am CERTAIN could not tell you how to pattern match robber coverage in high school. But guess what, ANYONE CAN LEARN HOW TO MAKE READS. A FIVE YEAR OLD CAN BE TAUGHT HOW TO BACKPEDDLE.

But not everyone is born with the physical gifts to play like this, and that's what matters most:
[video=youtube;NAkjHS1kXpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkjHS1kXpQ[/video]

love how hurlie was looking out of the corner of his eyes, chewing on that piece of bubblicious hella hard, w/ that subtle rocking of the head while No D was talking, like "ninja, what is u talking about?!"

Like he was bout to jump out of his chair and shove his pencil thru the side of that fat ****'s neck.

Advertisement
Every time I watch this video I get more and more heated. Coach NoD is a straight buffoon, has no idea what he's talking about, and then goes on to ridicule a former Miami athlete, a safety no-less, and coach on his staff like he's some sort of defensive god. And he looks like the product he puts on the field, fat and slow!

Is he athletic. Yes.
Is he an elite athlete. No.
Is he one of the most elite safety to play the game called football. Yes

He's right on the edge of being the best FS I've ever seen, but perhaps I'm biased by the fact he's my favorite football player ever. A nod to Ronnie Lott, who I was lucky to watch and appreciate, but brought a different style. Lott was the superior athlete and genetic freak. He also played in an era with less offensive complexity.

Both were 8x all-Pro players, which is insane.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]: don't know if you seen my earlier post regarding this same subject, but I'll put Reed over Lott only b/c Lott could change the complexion of the game by a WR being afraid to go across the middle...but in Reed's hayday, he would knock a lot of cats out. He was considered a head hunter earlier in his career b/4 all the rule changes making the game soft. The biggest difference as to why i put Reed over Lott is b/c of Reed's ability to score at any given time.

Advertisement
Is he athletic. Yes.

He's right on the edge of being the best FS I've ever seen, but perhaps I'm biased by the fact he's my favorite football player ever. A nod to Ronnie Lott, who I was lucky to watch and appreciate, but brought a different style. Lott was the superior athlete and genetic freak. He also played in an era with less offensive complexity.

@LuCane: don't know if you seen my earlier post regarding this same subject, but I'll put Reed over Lott only b/c Lott could change the complexion of the game by a WR being afraid to go across the middle...but in Reed's hayday, he would knock a lot of cats out. He was considered a head hunter earlier in his career b/4 all the rule changes making the game soft. The biggest difference as to why i put Reed over Lott is b/c of Reed's ability to score at any given time.

I hadn't seen it. But, it's a really tough call for me. I'd be inclined to say Reed because, as I noted, he's my favorite player ever and he played in an era with more complex offenses and difficult rules for Safeties. However, it's hard to deny that Lott's ability transcended eras. The guy was a physical monster, yet could throw in a little corner time in a pinch? Just crazy stuff.

Is he athletic. Yes.

@LuCane: don't know if you seen my earlier post regarding this same subject, but I'll put Reed over Lott only b/c Lott could change the complexion of the game by a WR being afraid to go across the middle...but in Reed's hayday, he would knock a lot of cats out. He was considered a head hunter earlier in his career b/4 all the rule changes making the game soft. The biggest difference as to why i put Reed over Lott is b/c of Reed's ability to score at any given time.

I hadn't seen it. But, it's a really tough call for me. I'd be inclined to say Reed because, as I noted, he's my favorite player ever and he played in an era with more complex offenses and difficult rules for Safeties. However, it's hard to deny that Lott's ability transcended eras. The guy was a physical monster, yet could throw in a little corner time in a pinch? Just crazy stuff.

EReed the G.O.A.T.!! This we can agree on.

Bill Belichick has repeatedly said Ed Reed is the greatest Safety to ever play. Coached against both he and Lott in their primes.

Advertisement
Back