This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

We have five OL in the NFL. All five started at least one game.

Clemson only has one OL who even played in the NFL last year. And that guy only played because the starter (Brandon Linder, the highest paid C of all-time) got hurt.

To be clear, I expect this to change. Clemson is going to start bringing in monsters on the OL. But they got to the peak of the mountain with worse OL talent than we've had for much of the past decade.
Having a few OL in the nfl is not proof of your overall OL talent being better than another schools. Especially at OL, where it’s really about the entire unit. Especially when we know our OL has not been good. Overall talent and depth and experience matter. So maybe we play a true frosh with athletic upside, then send an (underdeveloped) erik flowers to the nfl. We also roll with no depth and some 4th-5th starters who just aren’t good enough. The question is whether our OL does its job well enough, not just whether some kids have bright futures.

The idea that we need nfl talent all over to compete with alabama is also itself mistaken. Gino T won the Heisman and wasn’t an ‘nfl’ talent at QB. What we need is a 2-deep full of tough, physically developed kids with reasonable technique and experience playing together. A couple will be high ceiling kids, no doubt. It’s the ones who arent who are needed to separate us from the mediocre past.

Advertisement
Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.
I look at it like this! Before Diaz got here we all thought we had garbage across the Dline until Manny coached them up as well as changing the scheme to fit the guys on the DF. We went from the bottom to well in the upper level of defensive statistics in just the one year. And the second year of a Diaz coached defense with almost basically the same guys jumped into the top 10 in defense.

Now with the new coaching and different scheme to fit what we have I think the same will happen with our OL! The OL will make improvements to be respectable this year, but next year (2020) will prove to be the proof as to how well Butch Berry will be as a coach after fully implementing his tech and scheme.

I will refuse to believe that we just selected the bust on OL when most top P5 teams were after these guys. Changing the scheme helped the DL as well as the defense as a whole and I believe this will be the same result with our OL. Zion could prove to be the most under rated Linemen on the team. JMO!

Last edited:
No doubt. But evaluations matter a lot, especially at OL. We have done that poorly, and Clemson has done it exceptionally well.

Exactly. I played center and know OL more than any other position. Truthfully I was undersized and terrible at it. But I know enough to know that our issues on the OL have been a combo of shatty coaches and evaluation that is either **** poor or terrible luck. Hopefully the combination of improved coaches and drastically improved scheme & play calling will allow the talent we have to show itself to be more than capable of carrying this team to a double digit win season. We shall see

Advertisement
Reading all of this makes me realize one thing.
We one 7 games despite doing everything you can possibly do wrong on offense.
Poor play calling check.
Limited number of plays check.
Qb carousel check
Switching the line up at practice and the games check.
Poor clock management check
Plus more stuff you already know.

Reading all of this makes me realize one thing.
We one 7 games despite doing everything you can possibly do wrong on offense.
Poor play calling check.
Limited number of plays check.
Qb carousel check
Switching the line up at practice and the games check.
Poor clock management check
Plus more stuff you already know.

special teams as well.

Advertisement
think the change at S&C will benefit OL as well, hopefully we will start to look like an SEC line soon

The fact that our guys would appear a bit gassed in the second half just ****es me off!

Even in a fast, no-huddle offense - you may run 85 plays.

Each play lasts just under 4 seconds. 85 plays times 4 seconds equals 340 seconds.

340 seconds divided by 60 seconds per minute equals just over 5 and a half minutes. PER GAME!

You telling me - our guys can't give 110% for five and a half minutes spread over an entire game???

Yeah - do your lifting - but they damned well need to be doing some serious running - for STAMINA!

Five minutes! Per game! Is that asking too much?

Advertisement
Last night I re-watched the first half of Virginia Tech game and just focused on the O-line. I don't have a lot of knowledge like some of you guys on here but dam we looked weak up front. I think just improving our S&C will make a huge difference, add the fact that Enos and Barry are night and day from the previous coaches and we might be cooking. I'm one of the few people that are optimistic about our o-line this season.

I don’t get that statement, searels recruiting wasn’t that bad outside of the 2019 class where recruiting fell apart and even if so maybe he delivered a gem in Zion Nelson. I really Liked the 2018 class and the 2017 class was solid imo
I don't think he put in the same effort that Butch is putting into recruiting. Butch is running the gamut trying to find players. Now let's see if we get a big jump in development. I can say I feel we r going forward.

I don’t get that statement, searels recruiting wasn’t that bad outside of the 2019 class where recruiting fell apart and even if so maybe he delivered a gem in Zion Nelson. I really Liked the 2018 class and the 2017 class was solid imo

He wasn’t a bad recruiter but did leave us light on numbers a bit and struggled with tackles but he didn’t leave the cupboard bare at all.

Advertisement
I don't think he put in the same effort that Butch is putting into recruiting. Butch is running the gamut trying to find players. Now let's see if we get a big jump in development. I can say I feel we r going forward.

I'm not so sure how much effort or lack of effort matters when it comes to Stacey Searles.

Given his "throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks" approach to putting together his starting 5, his inability to see what so many fans could see until we've been saying it for months, the total lack of apparent development from our highly rated linemen during his tenure, etc, etc...,

I'm just not sure he would know the difference between a good offensive lineman and an also ran even if he had Larry Allen standing in front of him with the Star on his helmet, standing next to a UPS driver. I think there's a legit 50/50 chance he'd pick the UPS driver for his football team and then toss the keys to the equipment truck to Larry Allen.

OL was always a weak point when Richt was at Georgia. Miami actually had more OL drafted than Georgia did during when Richt was there.

No doubt we need better coaching along the OL, so hopefully the new coaches and scheme show significant improvement here.

But I think the skill position players have a huge effect on how good our OL looks. Great skill position players go a long way to making the OL look good.

Advertisement
Back