This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

Crazy we only have 2 seniors and 1 junior on the OL. Both of those seniors transferred in too.

Advertisement
Barry is the most important because our Oline is the worst unit in our team. Plenty of time to improve though👍

Advertisement
Scheme, coaching, S&C, constantly rotating guys all played a role.

Evaluations have been off on a few, but I don't think we have scrubs across the board.

Certainly not to the point we crap ourselves against Savannah State.

Advertisement
Scheme, coaching, S&C, constantly rotating guys all played a role.

Evaluations have been off on a few, but I don't think we have scrubs across the board.

Certainly not to the point we crap ourselves against Savannah State.
It’s a lot of things, but don’t kid yourself. We did not trot out suffificent talent on OL.

Manny needs to majorly fix the OL talent so we have a full starting five and credible depth behind them. Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney should not be logging real minutes on UM’s OL.

S&C and scheme had a lot to do with it. If you want to run power football you have to have power which is S&C, if not you have to have a scheme that fits the players. we were trying to run power with unprepared players based on the strength and conditioning that we’ve had. If you’re going to run drop back passing you have to have a left tackle and we have not had one.

The Hurricanes’ new offensive line coach, Butch Barry, says his initial impression of his OL group is that “they’re all respectful kids, they want to be coached, get better, and that’s always exciting when you get the opportunity to coach them.”

Barry says the brand of the University of Miami was “a huge factor” in his taking the job as well as Manny Diaz and his connection to Dan Enos.

“Those were all factors in me deciding to be here,” Barry said.

What comes to his mind when he hears the University of Miami?

“Greatness, tradition,” Barry said.

Of course, for UM to return to greatness a big piece will be on the need for better offensive line play. Does Barry recognize some of the past issues at Miami with his group?

“I can’t speak for any previous (staff), I just know what we’re going to do,” he said. “The best way to get better is core fundamentals.

“We’ll start with core fundamentals, that starts with our feet and we’re going to work on up. That’s essential. If we’re not great with our fundamentals, none of the other stuff is going to matter.”

He later said that “Regardless of the level (of play on the roster) it starts with your feet and you work your way up.”

Barry stressed he will find a way to “get the best five players on the field.”

“That matrix, a lot of it is moving parts and there has to be some fluidity in positions,” he said.

Butch Barry is younger than I thought. He graduated from CMU in 2001 and began his coaching career as a grad assistant the following year. This isn't a gray beard who has been recycled through mediocre college OL jobs over the years (Searels). He has taken a decently upward trajectory and is still hopefully on the rise. He's a question mark, but hopefully he's what we need.

Advertisement
It’s a lot of things, but don’t kid yourself. We did not trot out suffificent talent on OL.

Manny needs to majorly fix the OL talent so we have a full starting five and credible depth behind them. Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney should not be logging real minutes on UM’s OL.

Right. I don't think they are great but good enough with some improvements in other areas to win the CoaRstal easily.

Also not a fan of taking guys 300+ and keeping their weight down. This is one of the things so far that I like amount Barry the most. His philosophy is finding guys in the 250-260 range that will fill out and maintain athleticism.

Right. I don't think they are great but good enough with some improvements in other areas to win the CoaRstal easily.

Also not a fan of taking guys 300+ and keeping their weight down. This is one of the things so far that I like amount Barry the most. His philosophy is finding guys in the 250-260 range that will fill out and maintain athleticism.
You can’t have rules for how you recruit. It’s a standard-driven exercise. Alabama and Georgia get 300+ kids regularly who are really good. And plenty of under-developed giys do not, in the end, go on to develop and become good.

The thing with the big kids is they need to be really good. Big slow fatties, nah. No Cyrim Wimbs.

Advertisement
Part of this is scheme as well. We didn't use deception. We didn't help our QBs identify coverages by using motion. We ran predictable plays in predictable down and distances. I'm not saying our OL was anywhere near perfect, but it's hard to win battles when the other team has a headstart and they're either as good or better than your guys.
My thoughts exactly!!!!

think the change at S&C will benefit OL as well, hopefully we will start to look like an SEC line soon
The process BEGINS with S&C.........we cannot substitute for work, that should be done to develop strength, and substituting does not replace the effectiveness of the line, it depletes it's effectiveness as we found out ....

You can’t have rules for how you recruit. It’s a standard-driven exercise. Alabama and Georgia get 300+ kids regularly who are really good. And plenty of under-developed giys do not, in the end, go on to develop and become good.

The thing with the big kids is they need to be really good. Big slow fatties, nah. No Cyrim Wimbs.

There are always exceptions both ways, but lighter and athletic appears to translate more to potential and I think recruiting services will start ranking as such. Heavier in highschool also attributes to sloppy technique just leaning into smaller kids. Again, if we signed a 320 lb kid with good feet alright. All I'm saying is Barry is preaching current trends.

Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.

Imho, these numbers clearly speak only to coaching better on the OL.

Advertisement
Back