This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

The process BEGINS with S&C.........we cannot substitute for work, that should be done to develop strength, and substituting does not replace the effectiveness of the line, it depletes it's effectiveness as we found out ....

S&C starts with the HC...it's his vision that the S&C coach embodies.

Advertisement
Tee.............conditioning was lacking....our guys looked depleted and gassed by the second quarter of games....they just did not know how to move 290-300 pounds without showing signs of fatigue....work in the weight room is sorely needed.

Advertisement
There are always exceptions both ways, but lighter and athletic appears to translate more to potential and I think recruiting services will start ranking as such. Heavier in highschool also attributes to sloppy technique just leaning into smaller kids. Again, if we signed a 320 lb kid with good feet alright. All I'm saying is Barry is preaching current trends.

You really need to consider probabilities and come back to this discussion. There are lots of kids who haven’t developed yet. In addition to predicting which ones will be good OL if they develop, you have to assess the risk they just won’t develop. And that risk is substantial. They might also become big fat guys down the road. It’s not at all clear that they’re all entirely different types of kids, as opposed to not yet big fat guys who could end up being just that. There are uncertainties around bigger kids, too, but they don’t include whether they’ll become big kids.

There’s a reason Alabama takes big OL prospects. But they would never take Cyrim Wimbs. Dykstra is an example of the slimmer, fit OL you seem to want, and it’ll be a pleasant surprise if he ever contributes at UM. We’ve taken Andrew Tallman, Jermane Barton, etc. The solution isn’t to focus on smaller, less developed guys. It’s to be great at evaluations, and to be great at recruiting.

And keep in mind, there is a pure mathematical drawback to trying to focus only on leaner guys on OL. One thing you know for sure is they’ll take time to be game ready. Another thing you know for sure is some won’t develop physically like you want. So you are immediately embracing a strategy that will leave you with a significant percentage of your OL roster being kids who aren’t contributors. Think about that. Miss on a couple evals, and you’re in Oh **** territory, searching the portal for transfers.

You’re always going to have to come back to evaluations. That’s what it’s about. Big, small, developed or not. Which kids do you want to bet on.

Last edited:
Tee.............conditioning was lacking....our guys looked depleted and gassed by the second quarter of games....they just did not know how to move 290-300 pounds without showing signs of fatigue....work in the weight room is sorely needed.

good points

There are always exceptions both ways, but lighter and athletic appears to translate more to potential and I think recruiting services will start ranking as such. Heavier in highschool also attributes to sloppy technique just leaning into smaller kids. Again, if we signed a 320 lb kid with good feet alright. All I'm saying is Barry is preaching current trends.

Agreed -- When scouting these lighter athletic types, it's imperative to look at body composition. If a guy is light, he's got to have the frame to add weight and it's pretty important that he have a thick lower body. It's great to have a guy with the feet to get to the second level, pull, and mirror a passrusher, but if he cant sit in his stance and absorb/negate force at the point-of-contact, then he won't make it as a OL.

The prototype for the lean OL prospect is Tyron Smith in HS. He didn't have an ounce of fat on him and looked like a DE, but had the lower body to sit back in pass pro and not give an inch.

Advertisement

This guy was highly regarded in the Bucs organization. He was just the assistant O-Line coach, but the players responded better to him than they did the actual O-Line coach. As a Bucs fan, I was excited because rumors were, he would be the O-Line coach in 2020 if our line didn't perform better in 2019. When the news came out that he was going to be our O-Line coach at The U, I was beyond stoked.

The Bucs players, not just the O-Lineman, were crazy about Butch. He gets the ultimate "buy in" from his guys! He was also known as a technician. Combined with Enos scheme, our O-Line is going to look completely different this year, even in WEEK 0 against the turds.

Aside from Enos, I think Butch was our second best hire!

This guy was highly regarded in the Bucs organization. He was just the assistant O-Line coach, but the players responded better to him than they did the actual O-Line coach. As a Bucs fan, I was excited because rumors were, he would be the O-Line coach in 2020 if our line didn't perform better in 2019. When the news came out that he was going to be our O-Line coach at The U, I was beyond stoked.

The Bucs players, not just the O-Lineman, were crazy about Butch. He gets the ultimate "buy in" from his guys! He was also known as a technician. Combined with Enos scheme, our O-Line is going to look completely different this year, even in WEEK 0 against the turds.

Don't stop. I'm almost there.

Advertisement
I don't think people realize just how bad Old man Kehoe and Searels were. Searels O-lines at VT where garbage. Yet somehow he gets tapped by Richtirement to coach at UM. It was a mind boggling decision. Almost as bad as hiring his son to be QB coach.

As for the bolded part, nothing, I mean absolutely nothing could be almost as bad as hiring junior to be our QB coach!.....

Advertisement
I don't think people realize just how bad Old man Kehoe and Searels were. Searels O-lines at VT where garbage. Yet somehow he gets tapped by Richtirement to coach at UM. It was a mind boggling decision. Almost as bad as hiring his son to be QB coach.

All of Searels stops were bad. He never produced any O-line worth a crap. Just another bad hire by Richt who wanted to surround himself with a bunch of religious yes men.

“But, but, but, we don’t have the talent upfront to compete against good defenses.” Thanks for putting that bullish-t to rest. WTF was Searles and Richt doin?

Composite ratings do not equal actual talent.

The Miami OLs for YEARS have proven this. The coaches not up to the challenge have made it that much worse.

A lot of it has to do with S&C. Our interior guys are weak. We lacked push upfront and technique.

We need that same drive and push on the field .....that they give when getting a place in the chow line

Talk about ferocity

Advertisement
Back