This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

McKinnie has been working with Zion, Scaife & John Campbell.

I assume Herbert as well but the lineman that were specifically mentioned to me was the 3 listed above.

And given that he's bringing 2 other former Canes with him they'll all be working with the rest of the guys too.
I'm incredibly excited for Zion. Reading the reports about the kids work ethic and coach ability makes me think he's probably going to start at some point this season if not very early.

Advertisement
Im also anxious to see the urgency of the O-line. It was tough to watch the qb mosey up to the line and take a lifetime to snap the ball and watch the center get the ball snapped while the oline wasn't even completely in motion yet.

Advertisement
Talent is there for this to be a very good line:

LT- Kennedy (most sought after GT)
LG- Reed (HS All American)
C- Gaynor
RG- Donaldson (HS/Frosh All American)
RT- Scaife (HS All American)
Further evidence that hype doesn’t equate to talent, and evaluations matter. Kennedy immediately showed he was a bad eval, as he’s not event relevant to the starting line despite our huge needs at OT. Reed may have been highly rated, and he’s strong also, so development isn’t his issue. Fair to ask why he hasn’t made the OG discussion a tough one.

Between Searles inept coaching and the opposing coaches (along with most of the people in the stadium) knowing what plays would be called by Richt before the ball was snapped it's a miracle we won 7 games.

Just got to get the ball out quickly.

This killed me with Richt’s offense above all else.

It drove me crazy watching guys get pressured and sacked before receivers could even look for the ball.

The gameplan never took into account how “bad” everyone said the oline was.
I couldn't take another year of taking 5 minutes to get the ball out. Drove me absolutely nuts.

Advertisement
why not kick out scaife and play him? Two freshman tackles dont give warm and fuzzies. Might get our QB killed.

Do you kick Scaife out to be average at tackle or do you keep him at his best position to be an elite guard? This is the scenario we are in it seems. Barry wants his guys at their natural positions. In the past we ran out 5 guards on our line and it didn’t work.

Advertisement
If Rousseau had another big night then he likely abused whoever was at RT. Hopefully there's one competent dude on the team they can trot out there so we can keep the dynamite interior of 55-65-51 intact.

Do you kick Scaife out to be average at tackle or do you keep him at his best position to be an elite guard? This is the scenario we are in it seems. Barry wants his guys at their natural positions. In the past we ran out 5 guards on our line and it didn’t work.
Avg might be the best we got at the moment. Just would like a lil more seasoning on the tackle spots.

Avg might be the best we got at the moment. Just would like a lil more seasoning on the tackle spots.

You can adjust to help struggling tackles (TE staying into block, chipping, etc.). There’s nothing you can do if the DL is wrecking the interior OL.

The better you are at positions closer to the football, the better your team will be. If Scaife is elite inside, and only average at tackle, keep him in the interior.

Advertisement
He's playing behind two HS All-Americans with starting experience.
If he were playing better, we might be considering Scaife at a tackle spot, particularly given our tackle challenges. Reed on the bench means our best 5 doesn’t include him, I presume. He’s young. Not trying to harp on him, just an observation.

I prefer keeping Scaife inside and seeing how it shakes out first. Scaife dominating at G is in our (and his) best interest if the tackles are decent.

Love it they are not playing musical.chairs for each position. Cohesiveness will never be obtained like that. Look.at last.year for how musical chairs developes
an OL

Advertisement
Back