This is more fun

The oddest thing about last night for me was that down by 10 in the forth and I wasn't worried. I mean I was 1/2 bottle of Casamigos into it, but no fear.

Last few years, if we are down by 3 in the first quarter and I'm already ****ting my pants.

I like this better.

There's the nail directly striking the head.

This is the difference between all the other recent teams the mope squad loves to point to as proof we are going to crash and burn like before.

Excellent post sir.

Advertisement
Gee who saw this coming? Surely no one advocated for an undersized 2* App State commit? Or was there someone who compared his traits to Terron Armstead and Tyron Smith? I can't remember. Hard to drown out the signal from the noise.

You've been on the bus since the beginning and I'm right there with you.

After analyzing hits and misses for a while, the trend I keep coming back to is traits and toughness. Guys with both usually find a way. Zion had the physical toughness to get in the mix as an undersized freshman, he had the mental toughness to withstand tremendous failure without going in the tank, and he has the length, twitch and knockback power to get the job done.

Now that the weight is on, the future is bright.

I actually like our “backups” at LB, they just need to be on the field more. Starters are a liability at this point.

It’s funny reading these takes from people praising Shaq and Mike when they were the same ones that spent all offseason saying we’d be better at LB now that they were gone.

I actually like our “backups” at LB, they just need to be on the field more. Starters are a liability at this point.

It’s funny reading these takes from people praising Shaq and Mike when they were the same ones that spent all offseason saying we’d be better at LB now that they were gone.

What should of been the giveaway for them is that Manny and co likes to rotate whole lb units at times....and he essentially couldnt/wouldnt do it much with Jennings and company.

Shaq and Mike were head and shoulders above the others...hence Mike could be out of hsape at times and still play better.

You've been on the bus since the beginning and I'm right there with you.

After analyzing hits and misses for a while, the trend I keep coming back to is traits and toughness. Guys with both usually find a way. Zion had the physical toughness to get in the mix as an undersized freshman, he had the mental toughness to withstand tremendous failure without going in the tank, and he has the length, twitch and knockback power to get the job done.

Now that the weight is on, the future is bright.
Yeah I do get some wrong when the traits are there but something else is missing. Like Pope and Wiggins have the movement skills to be solid receivers but the physicality and competitiveness just isn't there. Although Pope has started playing with a bit more of an edge and confidence, which is good to see. I can't even imagine how much the last staff broke down some of these guys in meetings and practice.

At first I thought Brinson might be too similar to Wiggins but then I saw the growth in his positional skill and physical toughness from year 2 to year 3. That's an indicator of good intangibles/makeup. I feel good about a future X rotation of Redding & Brinson in this scheme.

Advertisement
At first I thought Brinson might be too similar to Wiggins but then I saw the growth in his positional skill and physical toughness from year 2 to year 3. That's an indicator of good intangibles/makeup.
That's my exact comparison-- a better, tougher Wiggins. Brinson doesn't fight the ball like Wiggins and is more physical. He breaks tackles and runs people over on screens (Central game is a good example) and he played CB to close the game. Based on the in-person eye test, Brinson is also a little wider in the upper body. Both have skinny legs but I can see Brinson filling out more up top.

I know praising the coaches gets you killed here but this may be the first time I’ve seen us play at or above our talent level in decades.

This feels like one of the least talented Miami teams I’ve seen at least at WR, CB, and LB but we’re 6-1. Much better teams have been worse here. QB and OC are huge
QB has masked so many deficiencies it’s crazy. If king goes next year I predict we take a big step back. Cause I don’t think we can hang unless the running backs and wide receivers produce a serious bell cow in the mold of a Richards or mcgahee level contributor. Someone who just makes plays. Didn’t have that last year but we have it this year

This is all true and fair, but there were issues with the '17 and '18 LB classes before the injuries. Joyner was a tweener and should have never been the only LB in the class. Jennings had speed issues and Wilder had dropped in performance since his sophomore year.

The guy who really got hurt by injuries was Steed. He was a laser 4.7 guy with good instincts. Hopefully, he still has his best football ahead of him.
I refuse to believe steed isn’t atleast as good or better than McCloud. And I feel with more reps he could become a good player. McCloud is done. He’s capped out physically and mentally.

Advertisement
Rosier told you all you need to know about Jeff. he was difficult to work with because he would run routes on 75 in practice and then 99 come game time. this is the main reason he's out of football now if you ask me. wouldn't shock me if he was pushed out of UM as well. and believe me I like Jeff and root for him but his mentality has to improve or his talent will be wasted. it might even be too late already

Will be even more fun if Manny brings in new decent DC and surrounds himself with good coaches both sides of the ball in the off season. Good head coach is surrounded by good coaching staff that hides his own defiencies

This board is so quick to crown the latest over the greatest! Harley over Thomas lol. The boy didn't care because the offense was crap and didn't care to get him the ball. Harley drops 20 passes at the beginning of the year and everyone forgets he even said they were barely trying, but now he's a hard worker? Wow!
King is great in this offense, but no lie he could be so much better if he didn't hesitate so much and could see the middle of the field. Offensive line is playing soo much better this season than last, big props to them. But that run blocking needs improvement, be more physical.
Linebackers?? What linebackers? We have none!
Blades is the best corner we have and he is starting to look like Ivey out there, lost in the sauce. Hope he turns it around, as in head!
Lashlee needs to be more creative when calling plays. I can tell what we're gonna do from the couch on 80% of the plays. What happened to motion, why can't we move the pocket?
Just my observation!
6-1 is great, but without a kicker we're back where we were a year ago!

That's my exact comparison-- a better, tougher Wiggins. Brinson doesn't fight the ball like Wiggins and is more physical. He breaks tackles and runs people over on screens (Central game is a good example) and he played CB to close the game. Based on the in-person eye test, Brinson is also a little wider in the upper body. Both have skinny legs but I can see Brinson filling out more up top.
I haven't really paid attention to the HS games this year but AI was really talking him up on his podcast. I assume he made another mini-leap cause it seemed like that was his trajectory. Thin builds don't really bother me when you see Devonta Smith dominating CFB like an 8-year vet.

Advertisement
Yeah I do get some wrong when the traits are there but something else is missing. Like Pope and Wiggins have the movement skills to be solid receivers but the physicality and competitiveness just isn't there. Although Pope has started playing with a bit more of an edge and confidence, which is good to see. I can't even imagine how much the last staff broke down some of these guys in meetings and practice.
“I’m actually feeling confident, back to normal, back to happy, feeling like Mark Pope again,” Pope said.

Harley said he sees Pope playing with more confidence. A lot of that likely has to do with the fact he’s no longer lost in Miami’s playbook. Lashlee’s simplified offense has made things easier for him.

“Me knowing Mark in high school, he was a legend. He was Mark Pope. He was that guy. It all started off tough and now he’s in his groove,” Harley said. “He’s having fun now. That’s what it’s all about. When you gain confidence, you go out there and play with your heart. That’s what he’s been doing. He’s making me and the other guys proud. Everything he fights is mental. I tell him you have to stay mentally strong to get to that next level. I’m proud of how far he’s come.”

^ body language is telltale for Pope

Advertisement
Back