This is more fun

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting a pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.

Advertisement
In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.

Advertisement
This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting an pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

The Zion revelation is my favorite part. Even in the ****storm that was last season, you could see the potential and tools to work with going forward. Glad its clicking for him. One less problem to solve out of the five spots on that line is ALWAYS a GREAT thing.

Flagg yall just don't know how important he is to the D... I GUARANTEE there would be less penalties as far DL jumping off sides and less big passing plays, and less points if he played yesterday.

Watch the film when he's in the game he's the one calling coverage aligning linemen and telling them when the snap is going to be! He studies that much you can tell

Look how confused Jennings and McCloud looked calling plays... looked like frierson took over assignments during and after 2nd quarter

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the worst linebacker play we’ve gotten in over a decade. We got not 1 not 2 but 3 Jimmy Gaines out there and that’s a recipe for disaster...

they don’t strike or play aggressive and take terrible angles. I miss the Fvck out of shaq quarterman he was such a **** playmaker

Advertisement

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting an pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

Seems entirely appropriate that a ***ot would be the best player on defense.

Jeff Thomas doesn’t care about football. You don’t win with those guys.

Give me the guys who work on their craft. Look at who our highest draft picks were last year.
They come from completely different walks of life. Harley comes from a closely connected family with both parents while playing at an elite football institution in sta (so he has that foundation whereas Thomas didn’t other than playing for east St. Louis flyers) his father wasn’t in his life at all and he grew up in a terrible area .

I feel For Jeff because I know What he would have been with THIS qb and OC. He would have been more motivated to be in line imo, that’s all. I know He would have been very productive and now he’s out of football already it looks like

Advertisement
They come from completely different walks of life. Harley comes from a closely connected family with both parents while playing at an elite football institution in sta (so he has that foundation whereas Thomas didn’t other than playing for east St. Louis flyers) his father wasn’t in his life at all and he grew up in a terrible area .

I feel For Jeff because I know What he would have been with THIS qb and OC. He would have been more motivated to be in line imo, that’s all. I know He would have been very productive and now he’s out of football already it looks like

I feel for him, too. Hope it clicks and he can still make a living.

I’m comparing the two to show that talent can only take you so far. The guys that succeed at that position work at their craft and care.

Zion doesn't strike as much fear in me I finally see something there. However @DMoney please be careful with crowning him we played 2 decent defenses and both embarrassed our Oline. NCstate is not a statement game.

Advertisement
Back