This is more fun

Advertisement
- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.
Our screens are a nightmare right now, I don't understand it. Wiggins rarely can get to the LOS before getting tackled or at least having to make somebody miss to gain 3 yards and it always seems more likely we will throw a pick six than gain a 1st down

Seems entirely appropriate that a ***ot would be the best player on defense.
dead star wars GIF

Advertisement

Look at Mike harley, so inspirational! Happy for him though for sure

I went baaaallllllistic when it was said Harley would stay w/ WVA after we smoked them in the RAB. I wanted Harley b/c look to have these intangibles. Then.......he look like a guy who was just another high school star, w/ no development and I was sour on him. I’m so proud that the light bulb seemed to have clicked for him. I root hard for Mike, but I’m tough af on him b/c his skills were not matching his performance on the field.

I know we have this whole mope v. pumpers theme on here. I can unequivocally tell u I’m not a mope. This team has not lived up to expectations for yrs. The whole darn world knows that, which is why we’ve been asked every yr, Is The U Back? We have way too much talent, overall, to be struggling w these clowns that’s been on our schedule. Harley, Pope, & Wiggins should be open all game long vs. these clowns we’re facing, and I’m glad Harley is now showing leadership skills & taking a step fwd.

I know praising the coaches gets you killed here but this may be the first time I’ve seen us play at or above our talent level in decades.

This feels like one of the least talented Miami teams I’ve seen at least at WR, CB, and LB but we’re 6-1. Much better teams have been worse here. QB and OC are huge

This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting a pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.
Great post, finally seeing some coaching and some bounces going out way. We continue to fight as well!

Advertisement
Jeff Thomas doesn’t care about football. You don’t win with those guys.

Give me the guys who work on their craft. Look at who our highest draft picks were last year.
Harley and jeff came in together, Harley was his backup the entire time he was here.. tough to compare when Harley is now producing with a real qb and OC in a real offense and jeff had rosier, richt and enos.. Jeff would have absolutely done work in this offense.. is he knucklehead? yes but they were both here and Harley never did more than him.. unfair to put everything on him when we had many issues.. MANY

Flagg yall just don't know how important he is to the D... I GUARANTEE there would be less penalties as far DL jumping off sides and less big passing plays, and less points if he played yesterday.

Watch the film when he's in the game he's the one calling coverage aligning linemen and telling them when the snap is going to be! He studies that much you can tell

Look how confused Jennings and McCloud looked calling plays... looked like frierson took over assignments during and after 2nd quarter
Yep. Athleticism matters no doubt but high level football is equally won between the ears & within the film room and it seems Flagg has it upstairs. I hope he can play vs Vag Tech.

Is John Campbell on the covid list? Close contact? Or an injury? If Zion has taken over the LT spot, I hope we can get a look at Campbell at guard, maybe over Jakai?
I’d love to see Traore, Campbell, Rivers, or Reed get snaps over Clark and Scaife now. **** if Gaynor keeps grounding snaps put Reed or Clark at C. Hopefully Traore and Campbell are back next week.

Advertisement
I think the thing with Jeff Thomas was that mentally he wasn’t the strongest kid. I’ve played with a kid very similar to him. By far the best athlete on the team and dominated easily. The problem is if you don’t get them the ball early, they drop a pass, or miss a tackle their confidence shot and it’s very very difficult to get them out of it throughout the game. I think it’s more due to his upbringing and lack of structure than him being a bad kid.

and for the record, he’d prob have Waddle/Devonta numbers in this offense if he returned

Our screens are a nightmare right now, I don't understand it. Wiggins rarely can get to the LOS before getting tackled or at least having to make somebody miss to gain 3 yards and it always seems more likely we will throw a pick six than gain a 1st down
I think part of the issue is that all of our WRs are undersized and aren't able to block well. We really need some bigger bodies at WR - I think that would help with screens, getting the 50/50 balls (which has improved the last 2 games) and letting some of the smaller guys play a more natural position.

I think the thing with Jeff Thomas was that mentally he wasn’t the strongest kid. I’ve played with a kid very similar to him. By far the best athlete on the team and dominated easily. The problem is if you don’t get them the ball early, they drop a pass, or miss a tackle their confidence shot and it’s very very difficult to get them out of it throughout the game. I think it’s more due to his upbringing and lack of structure than him being a bad kid.

and for the record, he’d prob have Waddle/Devonta numbers in this offense if he returned
Trust what this guy is saying

Advertisement
They come from completely different walks of life. Harley comes from a closely connected family with both parents while playing at an elite football institution in sta (so he has that foundation whereas Thomas didn’t other than playing for east St. Louis flyers) his father wasn’t in his life at all and he grew up in a terrible area .

I feel For Jeff because I know What he would have been with THIS qb and OC. He would have been more motivated to be in line imo, that’s all. I know He would have been very productive and now he’s out of football already it looks like
Yeah I don’t subscribe to that.. JT came from the trenches.. two completely different human beings. JT cared about football, look at what he went though as far as mediocrity in college he probably felt like UM didn’t care about him

This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting a pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.
Boardman. You're the only one with proper perspective in this place. ....

I was wrong about Zion. He has heart and work ethic and you don’t ever see him making dumb plays. He seems to be doing everything he can to improve every aspect of his game. He’s the kind of kid that will prove most people wrong and end up in the NFL. I’ve been super impressed by him this year.

Advertisement
Back