This is more fun

They come from completely different walks of life. Harley comes from a closely connected family with both parents while playing at an elite football institution in sta (so he has that foundation whereas Thomas didn’t other than playing for east St. Louis flyers) his father wasn’t in his life at all and he grew up in a terrible area .

I feel For Jeff because I know What he would have been with THIS qb and OC. He would have been more motivated to be in line imo, that’s all. I know He would have been very productive and now he’s out of football already it looks like
Excuses dont make for a good defense....

Advertisement
This would be a very tough game to get analytical with. Miami should have lost. Most (all?) Miami teams in the past 15 years lose this game and we go careening off the cliff throughout the rest of the season.

Defensive effort was sorry af. Back seven, especially, played sorry all night.

But...we won. That is a step forward.

Why did we win? D'Eriq King. He's a flawed player, but he is a gamer. Put the whole team on his back and made play after play in a shootout with a pretty good team in NC State. When nothing else was working, having a QB like King is the difference between trapped in your car, sinking to the bottom of the ocean and determining your own fate as we get closer to a rematch with Clemson in the ACC Championship Game and being a Top 10 team all year.

Also, shout out to my dawg Mike Harley who is finally playing like a First Team All-ACC player. Last three weeks have been HUGE. Second best player on offense right now.

Harley and jeff came in together, Harley was his backup the entire time he was here.. tough to compare when Harley is now producing with a real qb and OC in a real offense and jeff had rosier, richt and enos.. Jeff would have absolutely done work in this offense.. is he knucklehead? yes but they were both here and Harley never did more than him.. unfair to put everything on him when we had many issues.. MANY

Harley had a better season than JT last year. The year before that, JT quit in the middle of the season. JT isn’t playing football right now despite being picked up by the best organization in football.

Give me Harley. It’s not just the system. It’s the effort.

Harley had a better season than JT last year. The year before that, JT quit in the middle of the season. JT isn’t playing football right now despite being picked up by the best organization in football.

Give me Harley. It’s not just the system. It’s the effort.

I've been saying this for over a year now.

Mike Harley > Jeff Thomas.

I don't think its particularly close either.

Advertisement
- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.
Gee who saw this coming? Surely no one advocated for an undersized 2* App State commit? Or was there someone who compared his traits to Terron Armstead and Tyron Smith? I can't remember. Hard to drown out the signal from the noise.

The pass blocking was insanely good last night. Like, perhaps the best I can remember vs anyone with a pulse. No, NC State is not Clemson. But they’re a real team with D1 athletes, and we couldn’t block Central Michigan last year.

Last night, King had all ******* day to throw pretty much every time he dropped back. Hats off to the kids. They still struggle with physicality and moving people off the ball in the run game, but King was protected as well as we’ve protected a QB in a decade last night.

Really starting to like #3. Dude is a senior and supposed to set the tone. He and the upperclassmen have been called out and he is the only one that has answered sternly. He now has had to drag his huevos off the field in a wheelbarrow two games in a row.

Big ups to that dude, we will miss him next year.

The pass blocking was insanely good last night. Like, perhaps the best I can remember vs anyone with a pulse. No, NC State is not Clemson. But they’re a real team with D1 athletes, and we couldn’t block Central Michigan last year.

Last night, King had all ******* day to throw pretty much every time he dropped back. Hats off to the kids. They still struggle with physicality and moving people off the ball in the run game, but King was protected as well as we’ve protected a QB in a decade last night.
it was crazy watching king sit in a clean pocket all night long. doing it against teams like nc state is just step 1, but we haven't even gotten to that point for years. i'll take the progress.

Advertisement
Flagg yall just don't know how important he is to the D... I GUARANTEE there would be less penalties as far DL jumping off sides and less big passing plays, and less points if he played yesterday.

Watch the film when he's in the game he's the one calling coverage aligning linemen and telling them when the snap is going to be! He studies that much you can tell

Look how confused Jennings and McCloud looked calling plays... looked like frierson took over assignments during and after 2nd quarter

Flagg has real football instincts, something really lacking in most of our other LBers

I feel for him, too. Hope it clicks and he can still make a living.

I’m comparing the two to show that talent can only take you so far. The guys that succeed at that position work at their craft and care.
Exactly. The NFL is littered with guys wit backstories that are comparable, if not worse than JT4’s. The difference is those guys have crazy work ethics and they care about honing their craft. It always seemed that JT4 cared more about JT4, than football. That being said, I really hope he turns it around and becomes the player we know he can become, because talent and potential is not enough.

Advertisement
Gee who saw this coming? Surely no one advocated for an undersized 2* App State commit? Or was there someone who compared his traits to Terron Armstead and Tyron Smith? I can't remember. Hard to drown out the signal from the noise.
Good to see you posting.

Advertisement
- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

A few points:
- Manny was DC/LB coach and now his guy is DC/LB coach. His biggest miss isn't failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq, it's failing to recruit and develop linebackers in general. Miami should have never been in a position last year to play at walk-on at LB and this year being forced to give so many snaps to McCloud and Jennings. They are role players who can add depth but should not be starting. Same with Flagg. He has looked better than the upperclassmen but he shouldn't be forced to play so early, especially when he needs some time in the weight room.
- If you are so dependent on your LBs for generating a pass rush, you should probably be running a 3-4 or hybrid system where you can play more games with blitzes and coverages, especially if some of your DEs are the size of some linebackers.

Flagg yall just don't know how important he is to the D... I GUARANTEE there would be less penalties as far DL jumping off sides and less big passing plays, and less points if he played yesterday.

Watch the film when he's in the game he's the one calling coverage aligning linemen and telling them when the snap is going to be! He studies that much you can tell

Look how confused Jennings and McCloud looked calling plays... looked like frierson took over assignments during and after 2nd quarter
Flagg has gotten better coaching before arriving here than our older LBs have ever had here.

The oddest thing about last night for me was that down by 10 in the forth and I wasn't worried. I mean I was 1/2 bottle of Casamigos into it, but no fear.

Last few years, if we are down by 3 in the first quarter and I'm already ****ting my pants.

I like this better.

Advertisement
Back