This is more fun

I feel for him, too. Hope it clicks and he can still make a living.

I’m comparing the two to show that talent can only take you so far. The guys that succeed at that position work at their craft and care.
I have to disagree with you on the jeff Thomas analysis, no matter how hard harley works, jeff Thomas in this offense or any offense always outshined him and others and had the best hands out of all the receivers including Ahmon, when the ball was in his area, he normally came down with it. His natural football talent was elite, his frustration level like several juniors on the team in the last 10yrs is what had them thinking go-pro, to their own demise. jt4 was a natural playmaker instantly, the problem he had was not playing with a qb like brad kaaya or King. This team is finally getting back to having in-house leadership, this is what hurt jt4 the most.

While I'm happy for harley, he was part of the crybaby brigade at one point himself, maturity has kicked in, plus add in the likens/lashlee affect, a d now he's thriving. Ask yourself this question, if you were told by coach diaz that he's going to go and get a "real OC" and he goes out and brings in a moron like enos already, names jw15 a known quitters and losers as the no "leader of the team" the teams goes 6 & 7, losing to scrub teams, a first year headcoach, and agents telling him he has enuff talent to make it on at least 1 roster, most on this board would've rolled out too, cause who could trust coach diaz after that fact at that time.

Now coach diaz is building his resume, he corrected wrong in getting coach lashlee and King and it is now working out, guys had to make a decision to roll the dice on themselves and not diaz, so one things for certain, coach diaz is definitely putting himself back in the credibility department that he lost with the team last year and with the current team and future recruits, but after last season, with the OC=opposite clever that was on staff last year that manny brought in and the environment being what it was, I can't knock em for whatever decision he mad at that particular time, most would rather be trained in a pro-environment than deal with a new headcoach trying to find his way.

Advertisement
Mr Sands, where would you put a guy like Shaq? We all knew his limitations, but geez, arent' we pining for him right about now?
Honestly, nowhere high on the list. We’d take him for sure, and great kid. But judged against an elite standard he was maybe an above average college lb? We need some real impact LBs. Guys who have at least most of the following traits: instincts, can shed blocks, cover ground, like contact, play downhill, play in space, nose for the ball, and at least some lateral ability. Not asking for Ray, Vilma, Morgan, Smith, Barrow, Armstead (but happy to take), but could we at least expect a kid like Webster, McCarthy, Perryman, Beason or Rocky McIntosh every so often? Maybe even a Spence?

I mentioned Diego ***ot, but here is another Broward LB we slow played. There needs to be some soul-searching in how we evaluate that position:

@gogeta4

Das my man. Evaluations! Hyppolite was so obvious, also. 2/:3rds of this board was yelling at the clouds over that choice.

Manny has not recruited or evaluated LBs well at all. Quite pathetic record at the spot since he got here. He’s very lucky Dorito left us with shaq and pot belly.

Like I have been saying, if you don’t know what you’re looking for in a position, you’re nowhere recruiting it.

This is the worst linebacker play we’ve gotten in over a decade. We got not 1 not 2 but 3 Jimmy Gaines out there and that’s a recipe for disaster...

they don’t strike or play aggressive and take terrible angles. I miss the Fvck out of shaq quarterman he was such a **** playmaker
I tried to tell people we would miss Shaq and Pinck. I said LB was the biggest question mark after OL before the season. But people were so blind and upset that Shaq and Pinck weren't All-American, first round LBs and trashing them for it. They were good college LBs and we recruited nothing behind them for years.

Advertisement
Honestly, nowhere high on the list. We’d take him for sure, and great kid. But judged against an elite standard he was maybe an above average college lb? We need some real impact LBs. Guys who have at least most of the following traits: instincts, can shed blocks, cover ground, like contact, play downhill, play in space, nose for the ball, and at least some lateral ability. Not asking for Ray, Vilma, Morgan, Smith, Barrow, Armstead (but happy to take), but could we at least expect a kid like Webster, McCarthy, Perryman, Beason or Rocky McIntosh every so often? Maybe even a Spence?

Ethnic, absolutely, he isn't in that class. But Im just saying that he is sorely missed based on the LB play this year

It's like what Eddie Murphy once said about how a starving man looks at a cracker after not eating for a long time

While this defense has some structural defiencies, Im convinced better LB play would shore up 25-percent of it

I really hope Flagg is good to go starting next week....

I mentioned Diego ***ot, but here is another Broward LB we slow played. There needs to be some soul-searching in how we evaluate that position:

@gogeta4

okay but nobody had a problem w/ the sam brooks and avery huff takes, austin-cave was a good evaluation, and, as far as i can tell, nobody has any issues w/ the three guys we have in the 2021 class, w/ davis and troutman in particular appearing to be good evaluations, plus there is james williams. as much as ppl will obsess over it, the difference between hyppolite and corey flagg (who has looked fine) is not going to make or break a defense. DL and DB are far more important positions in the modern game. clemson's primary LBs are some random 3 star and the DC's son -- you're well aware of this DMoney. a LB from navy is not adding a win over replacement to your roster.

the biggest problem w/ the LBers currently that nobody ever talks about is that the entire second string of the depth chart after shaq/pinckney -- steed, jennings, joyner -- all suffered horrible injuries, sometimes multiple. steed and joyner (moved to DE now anyway) have essentially had their careers wiped out, jennings is playing this year after missing the entirety of last season w/ a hip injury. we have a bad mix of an older guy who shouldn't be playing (mccloud), juniors who never got to develop (jennings, steed), and then younger guys (brooks, flagg etc) who are playing the right amount for their age/development curve but can't pick up the slack on their own.

it's pretty clear the LB is going to get better over the next few seasons. there is athleticism on the depth chart, and more coming in, it's just very raw. i'm far more concerned about what is going on at CB, in terms of evaluation, and that position is like 1000x more important w/ the way the game is played now.

the biggest problem w/ the LBers currently that nobody ever talks about is that the entire second string of the depth chart after shaq/pinckney -- steed, jennings, joyner -- all suffered horrible injuries, sometimes multiple. steed and joyner (moved to DE now anyway) have essentially had their careers wiped out, jennings is playing this year after missing the entirety of last season w/ a hip injury. we have a bad mix of an older guy who shouldn't be playing (mccloud), juniors who never got to develop (jennings, steed), and then younger guys (brooks, flagg etc) who are playing the right amount for their age/development curve but can't pick up the slack on their own.

This is all true and fair, but there were issues with the '17 and '18 LB classes before the injuries. Joyner was a tweener and should have never been the only LB in the class. Jennings had speed issues and Wilder had dropped in performance since his sophomore year.

The guy who really got hurt by injuries was Steed. He was a laser 4.7 guy with good instincts. Hopefully, he still has his best football ahead of him.

Advertisement
This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting a pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.
The difference to me is how coaches handle “bad days”....ours is to celebrate like we won the national championship, congratulate the team and move on. Other coaches, choose to take those days and make them so memorable that they aren’t repeated.

I’m happy we got the win. I’m not so happy that the win included the same old **** in the win that clearly has not been addressed or just can’t be addressed because of our coaching...incredible amounts of stupid penalties and pathetic defense.

Das my man. Evaluations! Hyppolite was so obvious, also. 2/:3rds of this board was yelling at the clouds over that choice.

Manny has not recruited or evaluated LBs well at all. Quite pathetic record at the spot since he got here. He’s very lucky Dorito left us with shaq and pot belly.

Like I have been saying, if you don’t know what you’re looking for in a position, you’re nowhere recruiting it.

"Manny has not recruited or evaluated LBs well at all"

Manny is bad at evaluating LB's

His attitude problem was not helped by our coaching the last few years! He came back because he thought the offense would be like this years team.
And vice versa Thomas’ attitude didn’t help our team stability. It’s a chicken and egg argument with him And the team.

Advertisement
Ethnic, absolutely, he isn't in that class. But Im just saying that he is sorely missed based on the LB play this year

It's like what Eddie Murphy once said about how a starving man looks at a cracker after not eating for a long time

While this defense has some structural defiencies, Im convinced better LB play would shore up 25-percent of it

I really hope Flagg is good to go starting next week....
I said the same thing with regards to missing Shaq and Pinck after the Louisville game. We miss them sorely and I agree with you that better LB play would solve 25% of our D issues.

the other part is the DL and safety play. We’ve had bad S play the last 3 games. And when the DL comes to play we’re a different D. That’s the difference between the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter on Friday. Nests started to play and the rest of the D came with him

I said the same thing with regards to missing Shaq and Pinck after the Louisville game. We miss them sorely and I agree with you that better LB play would solve 25% of our D issues.

the other part is the DL and safety play. We’ve had bad S play the last 3 games. And when the DL comes to play we’re a different D. That’s the difference between the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter on Friday. Nests started to play and the rest of the D came with him

that's the thing that's bothersome, the last two drives, the DL -- specifically Nesta -- was coming off the ball hard, really being disruptive. THat's great, but geez, you wait all game to do that? It's not always schematic or coaching, effort matters -- and that's on the players

As for our linebackers, Ive never seen guys who consistently keep hitting the wrong gaps over and over again. At least Flagg, regardless of his lack of stopwatch speed, has a real football IQ. If he can play this weekend in Blacksburg, he needs to be play a lot

Advertisement
Man our linebackers are the worst group I’ve ever seen at Miami. They are worthless. They can’t cover anybody in man. They take bad angles and use wrong fits against the run. Honestly, I just want them to put the tallest guy out there and have him stand in the middle of the field with his arms extended like John Koncack playing zone defense. Maybe, they might be able to disrupt an occasional throw over the middle doing that. There’s guys on defense who aren’t good but they’re at least average talents. None of the linebackers who played on Friday are even average. No excuse for giving up 400 yards in 3 quarters to NCST.

Offense was glorious. We finally saw an unleashed passing attack that destroyed man coverage and punished the defense for playing cover zero. Every regtard who dissed King and called him Rosier needs to turn in posting privileges.

Jon Koncack would at least hit someone once in awhile...

Advertisement
Back