This is more fun

Advertisement
that's the thing that's bothersome, the last two drives, the DL -- specifically Nesta -- was coming off the ball hard, really being disruptive. THat's great, but geez, you wait all game to do that? It's not always schematic or coaching, effort matters -- and that's on the players

As for our linebackers, Ive never seen guys who consistently keep hitting the wrong gaps over and over again. At least Flagg, regardless of his lack of stopwatch speed, has a real football IQ. If he can play this weekend in Blacksburg, he needs to be play a lot
Shaq and pink hit the wrong gaps for 4 years... its coaching. The LBs are not being coached up. McCloud looked like a future all American his freshman year. I remember him killing James Connor and blowing people up against WVU

This game looked like the other bye losses. A defense that's a step behind in pressure and coverage. Undisciplined penalties. A bad QB looking like Johnny Unitas with high-percentage throws. But the day after sure feels a lot better.

There were two key differences last night. The first is margin for error. College kids have bad days, even at Alabama and Ohio State. They win so much because their rosters give them margin for error. We aren't a great team. But having a great QB and a great kicking game allows us to pull out games like this one. That's a blessing in 2020.

Second, we outgained NC State 213-6 in the 4th Quarter. Learning how to win is a real thing. The trick is correcting the persistent problems that keep things close. That didn't happen in 2013 and 2017, and we know how that ended. There is a lot of work to do. Some specific thoughts:

- I don't care what position he plays in the pros. D'Eriq King is the definition of a Quarterback. His demeanor never changes and he makes the right decision every time. Forget the athleticism. His consistency and character are what we've been missing at the position for 15 years.

- One of Manny's biggest misses is failing to recruit a replacement for Shaq Quarterman. Our LBs look slow-minded and slow-footed. Diego ***ot, a board favorite from Broward who signed with Navy, would be our best 'backer by a mile. Our DEs have their own issues, but I wonder how much the loss of Shaq and Pinckney (26.5 sacks between them) is hurting our pass rush.

- Keep recruiting receivers with intangibles. We've signed nine HS All-American receivers since 2015. Mike Harley (who the board liked more than the coaches) will have a better career than all of them. That's because he cares and he works. Same story with every WR who has had success here lately: KJ Osborn, Braxton Berrios, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns. Give me a Mike Harley over a Jeff Thomas every time.

- We need better athletes in the back seven. Amari Carter and Blades dropping INTs, McCloud letting a pick fly right through his hands, neither of the corners turning around and finding the ball. A great Canes defense makes those plays and looks to score. Hopefully, the 2021 class injects some much-needed juice.

- We may have our LT of the future. Zion looks comfortable at his new weight and knows what he's doing. You can see his twitch when he climbs to the second level or looks to crack someone on broken plays. He showed his mental toughness last year and it's paying off now.

- The horizontal passing game is a weakness. Wiggins gives us nothing on those screens after the catch. This is another area where the '21 class (with guys like Brashard Smith and Malik Curtis) can make a huge difference.

- Lashlee is earning every accolade and paycheck. Teams have tried to make us play left-handed since Clemson. Take away our run game and force us to beat them deep. Lashlee and King responded with 762 yards, 73% passing, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the last two games. That's what a balanced offense does.

In January, we were 6-7 coming off a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. In August, we were looking at a canceled season. 6-1 in November is a nice place to be. Enjoy this one, fellas.

I am pretty sure Amari Cater was hurt... there was something missing about his game but I cant seem to put the crown of my helmet on it.

Last edited:
that's the thing that's bothersome, the last two drives, the DL -- specifically Nesta -- was coming off the ball hard, really being disruptive. THat's great, but geez, you wait all game to do that? It's not always schematic or coaching, effort matters -- and that's on the players

As for our linebackers, Ive never seen guys who consistently keep hitting the wrong gaps over and over again. At least Flagg, regardless of his lack of stopwatch speed, has a real football IQ. If he can play this weekend in Blacksburg, he needs to be play a lot
Your first part is spot on. that's why i am always hesitant to get on coaching...like at all. Players determine outcomes of plays for the most part. When all guys are playing hard and flying around you notice the difference. When a few guys are mailing it in for the most part you can see that as well. that was the biggest difference to me.

We beat no one, we got zero rush, zero penetration, and zero anything from our DL except dumb *** offsides the first 3 quarters. Kudos to the DL for stepping up in the fourth. Bout fookin time.

I hope you're right about Flagg. I think you are because when he is in there he is at least in a position to spill the play in the right direction. I also think he doesn't fall for all the eye candy like the others either. His insticts beat a stop watch in confined spaces which is what we need right now. We need a run stopping MLB....that's what we miss most with Shaq gone. Say what you want about the pass, we need a run stopper. We all know what we have in #44 and #53....i cringe sometimes when i see them out there, but SB6 isn't making impacts either.

I mentioned Diego ***ot, but here is another Broward LB we slow played. There needs to be some soul-searching in how we evaluate that position:

@gogeta4

This honestly makes me sick. The entire board wanted him last year and we talked about him for months. The defensive staff needs to go (Banda and Stroud can stay).

Advertisement
Ethnic, absolutely, he isn't in that class. But Im just saying that he is sorely missed based on the LB play this year

It's like what Eddie Murphy once said about how a starving man looks at a cracker after not eating for a long time

While this defense has some structural defiencies, Im convinced better LB play would shore up 25-percent of it

I really hope Flagg is good to go starting next week....
Agreed, for our defense, Shaq would be a Ritz.

We ain’t even got many triscuits is the thing.

Man our linebackers are the worst group I’ve ever seen at Miami. They are worthless. They can’t cover anybody in man. They take bad angles and use wrong fits against the run. Honestly, I just want them to put the tallest guy out there and have him stand in the middle of the field with his arms extended like John Koncack playing zone defense. Maybe, they might be able to disrupt an occasional throw over the middle doing that. There’s guys on defense who aren’t good but they’re at least average talents. None of the linebackers who played on Friday are even average. No excuse for giving up 400 yards in 3 quarters to NCST.

Offense was glorious. We finally saw an unleashed passing attack that destroyed man coverage and punished the defense for playing cover zero. Every regtard who dissed King and called him Rosier needs to turn in posting privileges.
Hats off to the John Koncack reference, and it actually makes sense. I’d start him over McCloud tomorrow as is.

Advertisement
it’s just so inexcusable that the school that gave us the bermuda triangle, ray lewis, dan morgan, and vilma/williams can’t even perform at lb.

I mentioned Diego ***ot, but here is another Broward LB we slow played. There needs to be some soul-searching in how we evaluate that position:

@gogeta4

The people on the board who know kids and football in the area, like @gogeta4 , saw this coming and were vocal about it.

This hurts to see after watching Zach Mcloud every week.
Problem is he wouldn't be playing here. The coaches refuse to play most of the young backers. We've got Huff and TAC on the sideline. They simply can't be worse than McCloud and Jennings. And don't forget that the coaches moved Patrick Joyner from backer back to DE (which is pretty unfair to that kid) even though he actually looked decent last year.

Advertisement

@gogeta4

Hey i know that guy.

LOL He's better at playing linebacker than all of our upperclassmen. *Dnofrio voice*

Took too long doing whatever and let him get all in with Maryland

Last year he caught that white WR from Gibbons who is going to Clemson.

Chased him all the way and hawked him in after their normal crossing route play they love to run.

Ruben runs a 4.5 on the regular. Kid is a humble, football junkie. Sh*t shoulda been a lay up.

Advertisement
"Manny has not recruited or evaluated LBs well at all"

Manny is bad at evaluating LB's
I think the biggest issue was they just didn’t sign enough LBs from 2016-2018. Jennings was hurt and now that he’s healthy, it’s obvious he’s not good. Joyner is now the 12th string DE. (How bad do you have to be to totally fall out of the LB rotation here?) and Steed has been a walking injury. They followed that up with signing Brooks (high school DE) and Huff (late entry, fell way behind the rest of his class) and now you don’t have any sophomores who can play either. You’re going to have busts and injuries. Everyone does. That’s why you need to bring in more than 5 guys over a 4 year period. And if you’re going to bring in projects, you better not need them to contribute for at least two years. The best linebacker on the team this year is a freshman who half the board didn’t even want us to sign.

Chased him all the way and hawked him in after their normal crossing route play they love to run.

Ruben runs a 4.5 on the regular. Kid is a humble, football junkie. Sh*t shoulda been a lay up.
Terrible eval right there by the coaches. That’s why our LB room is so sorry.

Gee who saw this coming? Surely no one advocated for an undersized 2* App State commit? Or was there someone who compared his traits to Terron Armstead and Tyron Smith? I can't remember. Hard to drown out the signal from the noise.

It's amazing to see how horrible some of the people treated one of our own who was thrown to the wolveis far too early. Again, hats off to you for seeing the potential this kid had.

Advertisement
Back