This Defense is going to be NASTY

Advertisement
This board has transformed Willis into the greatest DT in school history since Warren Sapp, all because people just don't want to get their hopes up too high & bet let down again.

I've had this argument before & have grown tired of having it everyday...
The Defense will survive without Willis, I promise yall lol.

Well in fairness, I don't mind giving Willis that crown as the best since Sapp. lol

That said, I agree. We have more then enough pieces to be a dominant D. Our LB corp (Shaq, Pinck, Romeo) and DE talent alone will keep us in every game this year.

And yes, people are afraid to get their hopes up after last years pitiful display. I for one am not...9-10 wins should be the worst case scenario.

Well in fairness, I don't mind giving Willis that crown as the best since Sapp. lol

That said, I agree. We have more then enough pieces to be a dominant D. Our LB corp (Shaq, Pinck, Romeo) and DE talent alone will keep us in every game this year.

And yes, people are afraid to get their hopes up after last years pitiful display. I for one am not...9-10 wins should be the worst case scenario.
Miami’s a 10 plus win team last year in the regular season with even an offense just as good as the 2017 offense and that’s no exaggeration. That pathetic showing we had offensively was an anomaly in 2018 and won’t happen this year

Miami’s a 10 plus win team last year in the regular season with even an offense just as good as the 2017 offense and that’s no exaggeration. That pathetic showing we had offensively was an anomaly in 2018 and won’t happen this year
Last years O was dreadful. Punting, dreadful. Last game of the season, mailed in. Dreadful.

Advertisement
What Jaquan Johnson did last year (and the previous year) mentally will be incredibly tough to replace. Losing a kid like that, along with someone as athletic and experienced as Redwine....I just can't say the defense will be better. It just doesn't compute in my mind.

Also, I honestly feel that Gerald Willis played like a first-team All-America last season. I watched a ton of football last year, and I didn't see a more dominating kid at that spot in the entire country. If he was a choir boy and played at Texas or OU or Bama, he's on an All-America team. The person above who said there was no noticeable drop-off when he was off the field is laughable. He was an absolute force when he was in the game. Nobody we have is going to play to that level, and in Manny's scheme, having a kid get that much penetration from that spot is imperative to how he designs his defense.

I'm excited as **** for Rousseau. Shaq and Pinckney, as seniors, should be monsters. Garvin is a Top 3 round talent. Finley was awesome last year, and I expect him to improve. The safeties are going to be athletic and fast as ****. On the edges, we should be excellent. Bandy. The young corners. Silvera. There's a ton to be excited about here. Don't get it twisted, I think this defense is going to be violent and terrifying. But last year was absolutely special. I think this is getting lost around here....what we witnessed last year on defense was legitimately special. That defense was THAT good, with literally NO HELP from anyone else. The offense was putrid. The special teams were a stain on the program. Punting was DEAD LAST in America for god's sake. When we turned it over, it was immediate points in many cases. The pick 6 against LSU. The one down the 5 against UVA. The one in the redzone against BC. We didn't turn it over much on the opponent's side of the field last year. Average opponent's field position was one of the worst in the country. We were 87th in the country in time of possession. And the defense still excelled at literally every single metric. All by themselves.

I just can't say it's going to be better this year when you consider what we lost. That's a lot to expect out of the new kids. But **** it should still be an incredibly exciting, fast, violent defense. And if the kids on the backend can gel, look out.
Lmao nah, keep that same energy that u had the other day when I said the exact same thing.
20190522_172600.jpg

Not saying the defense will be bad but losing that many guys especially on the back end and having a ton of inexperience their for the first game of the year against the toughest competition all year isn't exactly ideal. There's not much to go off of on most of the DBs that will start so it's all a projection right now

Not saying the defense will be bad but losing that many guys especially on the back end and having a ton of inexperience their for the first game of the year against the toughest competition all year isn't exactly ideal. There's not much to go off of on most of the DBs that will start so it's all a projection right now
Uf lost polite, cece Jefferson, Chauncey Gardner, vosean Joseph etc on defense too and they are playing us. Everyone has losses every year, it’s college football at the end of the day

Advertisement
Jaquan Johnson was probably the least athletic, but man he knew right where to be and his stats show that in spades.

That being said I think Gurvan Hall steps up in a different way. Worried about Carter, violent hitter but not a burner at all.

Finley was the most consistent player on defense last year. We need to keep him on the field as much as possible this year.
Any draft buzz with him? I fear him not being a true safety or linebacker may hurt him

Uf lost polite, cece Jefferson, Chauncey Gardner, vosean Joseph etc on defense too and they are playing us. Everyone has losses every year, it’s college football at the end of the day
Agreed but those are much more spread out and have other players to make up for it. 1 safety gone but 2 returning CBs Dean is playing Gardeners role and he played last year and zuniga is very good to replace 1 DE and he probably even had more reps than Jefferson when he was there the only one I'm not sure about was vosean but again the other LBs are still there

Advertisement
Agreed but those are much more spread out and have other players to make up for it. 1 safety gone but 2 returning CBs Dean is playing Gardeners role and he played last year and zuniga is very good to replace 1 DE and he probably even had more reps than Jefferson when he was there the only one I'm not sure about was vosean but again the other LBs are still there
And Miami doesn’t have players to make up for it? You sadly are mistaken with that rationale.

Miami has a plethora of players at db to replace those 3 and on the dline you get trevon hill and Rousseau back. Miami has talent at dt as well. The play of the front 7 alone will help ease the new dbs in

Last edited:
Advertisement
Likely a nickel linebacker at the next level but a late rounder as it is now, some scouts think he can move up with more production/playing time this season.

I think him having a good combine showing will really vault him up... Kid is a player who can lineup with some of these hybrid TEs and run with them enough to negate the big matchup problems they usually present

I think this D has a chance to be materially better than last year.

DL should be a big strength. If Ford steps up, and he may, we should have talent and depth at DT. Our DEs will be sick. I expect a lot out of Rousseau, but Garvin and Hill are really good also, Patchan is solid and Harvey will be a beast in time also. LBs as seniors all across, very valuable. Even Finley. Bandy is a solid CB, we will figure out the other CB, Ivey will be very good in time, and our S talent is very good, just inexperienced. I think Hall and Bolden are materially more athletic than Jaquan. We should be solid at DB.

This is highly irrational. Anything short of three national championships, an SEC title, a Stanley Cup and Best in Show at Westminster in year one would be a huge disappointment. I'd also like to see the team win a Nobel Prize in economics, but that might be asking a little too much.

Actually, we're looking pretty good for the Economics Nobel - you forgot our Punter!

Advertisement
Back