This Defense is going to be NASTY

It has potential.

We had to replace our entire DB core in 2017. We did that.

We have been told we were screwed at DL and DL coaching. Multiple times. Overcame both.

Ford sounds like the key coupled with early maturity from our safeties in terms of big plays allowed.

This is the 4th year with Diaz as the DC (Baker is the surrogate) and I would and have argued this is the most athletic group of kids we have had here in that time frame.

UF is the barometer. Our schedule is ***.

10 wins+ and ACCCG appearance is the barometer. Anything less and Diaz will never win here.
and a new s&c program that pushes them and specializes in their needs by position.

Advertisement
I can't argue with a single thing you said. I fully expect the offense and punting to be better (seriously...how can they be worse?), which we all know will do nothing but help the defense. Only thing I'll say back to my point is that, of the metrics the defense was at or near the top in last year, scoring defense was not one of them. The 2018 unit finished #18 in the country in scoring defense....and I believe that number was pretty obviously driven in no small part by the horror movie that was the 2018 offense and special teams. So, when I say I don't think the defense will be "better", maybe a good offense/ST can help a little with the scoring defense number?

I just don't see how people can say a defense losing the kids we did will be BETTER than #1 in the country in TFL, #9 in the country in sacks, and #1 in the country in opponents 3rd down %. If your argument is that a better offense/ST will perhaps drop the scoring defense number from #18 (at 19.5 PPG), I might be able to agree with that. Or at least be optimistic about it. And of course, scoring/giving up points is really the only metric that matters. So if you want to tell me that with the returning talent on defense, better offense, and better special teams, Miami will give up less than 19.5 PPG this season, I might get on board there. But I just can't say the defense overall will be better....because giving up only 19.5 PPG in spite of the god**** abomination we saw in the other 2 phases is an incredible accomplishment, and I really can't get behind the defense being MORE dominant as whole when you're losing what we did, even though I am very excited to see the new kids play.

Bottom line, I think the defense will be fantastic. I just think the people who are saying it will be better are way too optimistic, and are also selling short the job that this defense did last year.
Good post. I think we're on the same page. Regarding the defense being better yes the scoring defense is where I see the improvement taking place. While I agree with you about Willis, JJ and Red, I think that there may be a period of adjustment because those were highly productive players. My point however is that we may might offset those losses with better depth at DT and an infusion of speed and athleticism at S. Sure we will miss Willis and Co but as a whole I think this D will be sickening. Will it be better than 2018? Who knows? It's a fun conversation though. I cannot wait to see this group play. Bring on the gator!

I don't see why this should be far-fetched considering the guy we all thought was our best player just went undrafted.
Don't get it twisted. He didn't go undrafted because if his play on the field. It was because of his questionable past.

Don't try to use the NF draft as a way to invalidate Willis's Senior season.

Willis, Johnson, Redwine, J. Jackson and M. Jackson were important pieces of a great defense. There's no denying it. But there wasn't a major difference in production between RJ McIntosh in 2017 and Willis in 2018. In this scheme I think Jade can provide similar production at that spot. Maybe I'm being a homer by expecting that from a true sophomore. Replacing Joe Jackson with Trevon Hill and Greg Rousseau is a net positive. Nnoruka should fill in nicely for Odenigbon at our African DT position.

We should be more concerned about replacing 4 of our top 5 DBs. But even there we have the benefit of Quarterman, Pinckney, Finley, Bandy, Carter as experienced vets who know where to be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back