This Defense is going to be NASTY

I dunno last year we had the most dominant DT in the nation and the defense wasn’t the same when he was out
While I can understand the concern about losing Willis, I think we may be in a better place overall with DT this year than last. Yes, we lose Willis, a major loss. But we add Nnoruka, Silvera has a year of experience, coaching, and physical development now, Ford has more physical development and experience. Bethel has been solid, and returns to provide some senior leadership and experience. Blissett may get some snaps and learn on the job, especially against some lesser opponents. So we don't have (unless Silvera steps up or Nnoruka is even better than advertised) the star DT, but we may have a better overall DT unit.

edit: ...and I forgot all about Miller, who may provide some quality snaps as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Safety and DT are going to be the keys to this defense reaching its potential. If our youngsters step up, and the portal additions pan out - yeah this D could be special.

Side note - watching that Amari Carter video made me think of a post in the Game Day thread when that game was going on - I believe it was @gogeta4 - said "Carter knocked that dude's hairline back" or something to that effect. LOOOOOOL.

Stop

Look at the schedule.

I repeat

Look at the schedule.

Oh well I guess the other teams shouldn’t show up then. We have a completely overhauled coaching staff, teams learning a new scheme, obviously a secure line, veteran at QB, just pencil in 12-0 and tell our opponents not to bother.

T
Safety and DT are going to be the keys to this defense reaching its potential. If our youngsters step up, and the portal additions pan out - yeah this D could be special.

Side note - watching that Amari Carter video made me think of a post in the Game Day thread when that game was going on - I believe it was @gogeta4 - said "Carter knocked that dude's hairline back" or something to that effect. LOOOOOOL.

Advertisement
If offense and ST do their parts any dropoff from the D should be minimal solely by default from being on the field less and being placed in perilous spots less often. The young secondary should only improve as the season goes forward. If the major players on D stay healthy hard to not see being a top 25 unit nationally.

If these guys play like studs then "all" other defenders become more effective and the defense much better overall.

even if we had 5 decent guys who give us good mins we should be fine. we just need someone to clog the middle while teams try to scheme against hill and garvin

Hall and Carter will be more productive and effective in our defense than Quan and Redwine. Some will think I’m crazy for saying this but I’m sure some will understand what I mean. These young guys had to wait their turn behind some solid vets in Quan and Redwine but they are more athletic and more physical. I’m not saying the 2 guys we lost were scrubs I’m just saying that nobody feared them. Players on offense will learn VERY soon to be aware of where 26 & 5 are at all times. I predict both players will be drafted higher than any of our players from last year.

As SENIORS, you're probably right. But cannot overstate the significance of the safety being in the right place in a Diaz scheme. That takes maturity and time in the system. Hall and Carter have some of it, but not as much as their predecessors.

Didn't Jaquan lead the team in tackles last year? That's no coincidence.

Advertisement
All this prediction talk, we'll all know for sure when they hit the field out the gate. If our run defense is strong, everything else will fall into place. People were sleeping on what jaquan and redwine brought on the backend. If you go back to jaquan's freshmen year, he consistently came up and eliminated big plays from happening, several that kept dalvin cook from going the distance. The football I.Q. of #4 & #22 was top notch, while i do feel we may end up being more athletic at safety this year, its still a mental game back their, overall, we're definitely getting more athletic on defense, joyner going back to linebacker is perfect and where he belongs. Game adjustments and experience will be key, i expect mullen to try and come out and score early to try and test our secondary communication skills, but i also got us coming after lopez early and often, especially if we have them on our side of the field!

This board has transformed Willis into the greatest DT in school history since Warren Sapp, all because people just don't want to get their hopes up too high & bet let down again.

I've had this argument before & have grown tired of having it everyday...
The Defense will survive without Willis, I promise yall lol.

Last edited:
All this prediction talk, we'll all know for sure when they hit the field out the gate. If our run defense is strong, everything else will fall into place. People were sleeping on what jaquan and redwine brought on the backend. If you go back to jaquan's freshmen year, he consistently came up and eliminated big plays from happening, several that kept dalvin cook from going the distance. The football I.Q. of #4 & #22 was top notch, while i do feel we may end up being more athletic at safety this year, its still a mental game back their, overall, we're definitely getting more athletic on defense, joyner going back to linebacker is perfect and where he belongs. Game adjustments and experience will be key, i expect mullen to try and come out and score early to try and test our secondary communication skills, but i also got us coming after lopez early and often, especially if we have them on our side of the field!

As long as we got a good run defense under coach stroud, that's the main thing. We start shutting the gaytors running game down, they better expect havoc the rest of the way!

As SENIORS, you're probably right. But cannot overstate the significance of the safety being in the right place in a Diaz scheme. That takes maturity and time in the system. Hall and Carter have some of it, but not as much as their predecessors.

Didn't Jaquan lead the team in tackles last year? That's no coincidence.
Quan lead the team in tackles his Junior & Senior year & Jamal Carter lead the team in tackles in 2016.

Because in our scheme the Rover is always in run support & the main one to the ball in the secondary.

It's a plug & play position for this Defense that requires high football IQ & good tackling ability.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh well I guess the other teams shouldn’t show up then. We have a completely overhauled coaching staff, teams learning a new scheme, obviously a secure line, veteran at QB, just pencil in 12-0 and tell our opponents not to bother.

This is highly irrational. Anything short of three national championships, an SEC title, a Stanley Cup and Best in Show at Westminster in year one would be a huge disappointment. I'd also like to see the team win a Nobel Prize in economics, but that might be asking a little too much.

We were #1 in the country in some categories, so it'll be difficult to improve on that.

PPG allowed is the big opportunity. I think we gave up around 18 a game last year. A lot of meat on the bone....

This Defense will be better this year than it was last year. After watching the highlights of the returning players and new additions I truly believe that this will be the most dominant defense we have seen in years.

Romeo Finley Top Plays 2018

Trajan Bandy Top Plays 2018

Jonathan Garvin Top Plays 2018

Shaquille Quarterman Top Plays 2018

Michael Pinckney Top Plays 2018

Advertisement
Jaquan cleaned up a lot of potential big plays in our boom or bust scheme. Replace that and it’ll be nasty. A mild drop off wouldnt be the end of the world though all things considered

Quan will be missed definitely, but people are overstating Redwine.

He was a 3-star CB coming out HS that had to be moved to Safety because it was his best fit. He always had very good athletic traits but lacked the instincts until his Senior year.

Carter, Hall & Bolden will be more than sufficient replacements at the Safety spots, the challenge will be how fast they can create that continuity needed for that unit.

Advertisement
Back