There is a scrimmage today?

Robert Griffin took Baylor from average to the top.

Manziel turned around Texas A&M.

Derek Carr made an average Fresno state team into a top25 team.

Rakeem Cato makes Marshall way better than what they are.

I can keep going. Heaps numbers were not even average. They were garbage. He is not the answer.

Advertisement
Here are some of my thoughts from the scrimmage:

- I thought Brad Kaaya did fine. The rush was coming at him heavy and he was poised. At least a couple of the sacks may not have been sacks in live contact (including one that nullified a strike to Malcolm Lewis). His accuracy was spotty early (missed high to Walford out of his endzone) but calmed down as the practice went on. He made a beautiful throw to Dobard toward the end and led the team on a great drive that ended with a Walter Tucker TD catch. Most importantly he wasn't forcing anything. It wasn't a superstar performance but he didn't look like a freshman either.

- Malik Rosier has a great arm but is still wild. He looks like a baseball player with his windup and often misses high. Coley played to his strengths and rolled him out a bunch.

- Joe Yearby is making a strong case for the number two job. He is decisive and has excellent moves. His 33-yard-run looked a little like Frank Gore with the way he hit the hole. He also made a nice catch on a wheel route. Gus Edwards made a couple nice runs but Yearby has outplayed him in both scrimmages. Trayone Gray tripped on what could have been a huge run. On another play, he reversed field and got back to the LOS on pure speed. He's not there yet but with more reps and better conditioning he will blow up.

- Braxton Berrios was my offensive MVP. He catches absolutely everything and is the most QB-friendly player I've seen on Greentree since Shockey. He also had a nice little first-down run on a screen. Tyre Brady is also coming on strong and caught a short TD from Olsen where he used his body to create space.

- We have some extremely fast LBs. Jermaine Grace was exceptional and Perryman was Perryman. This may sound crazy, but I don't see how we can keep Nantambu Fentress off the field. That little sucker is everywhere and plays at a different speed than everyone else. Juwon Young and Darrion Owens are also blazing fast.

- The most positive development of camp for me is the development of Calvin Heurtelou. He is becoming a legit NT and was clogging things up beautifully.

- Anthony Chickillo continues to play at the highest level I've seen from him. He deflected Kaaya's first pass and was a terror after that.

- Chad Thomas got multiple pressures from the inside and outside. He is coming on very strong and will make an impact this year. Justin Tuck pt 2.

We should be worried about our field goal kicking.

After halftime, all of the kickers lined up from various distance and attempted many field goals. It was bad. A lot of misses. And not from far distances.
I told y'all

Agree. I was concerned last year heading into the season, I'm even more concerned this year.

I have zero confidence in Goudis

Arm fatigue happens with QBs. Strong arm, medium arm, weak arm. It happens. I wouldn't be surprised if Heaps has thrown 100s of extra passes to try to speed up his process. It isn't serious but you don't get their best.

Thanks for the update jake how'd it feel to watch the goat sling it today while you held that clipboard get used to it

How many sacks did the GOAT take? Someone who gets to watch like you said he took 4-5 sacks today. Sounds like the GOAT holds on to the ball too long.

Pretty much on par for what others have said. In that kaaya has a little trouble reAding defense.

This sorta. I have no confidence in Goudis after watching multiple practices/scrimmages and Semerene has been ehh. But a walkon freshman Michael Badgley has a cannon and has been pretty accurate. He has hit a ton that would clear the new nfl goal post heights and has been the most accurate.

We should be worried about our field goal kicking.

After halftime, all of the kickers lined up from various distance and attempted many field goals. It was bad. A lot of misses. And not from far distances.

Advertisement

- I thought Brad Kaaya did fine. The rush was coming at him heavy and he was poised. At least a couple of the sacks may not have been sacks in live contact (including one that nullified a strike to Malcolm Lewis). His accuracy was spotty early (missed high to Walford out of his endzone) but calmed down as the practice went on. He made a beautiful throw to Dobard toward the end and led the team on a great drive that ended with a Walter Tucker TD catch. Most importantly he wasn't forcing anything. It wasn't a superstar performance but he didn't look like a freshman either.

- Malik Rosier has a great arm but is still wild. He looks like a baseball player with his windup and often misses high. Coley played to his strengths and rolled him out a bunch.

- Joe Yearby is making a strong case for the number two job. He is decisive and has excellent moves. His 33-yard-run looked a little like Frank Gore with the way he hit the hole. He also made a nice catch on a wheel route. Gus Edwards made a couple nice runs but Yearby has outplayed him in both scrimmages. Trayone Gray tripped on what could have been a huge run. On another play, he reversed field and got back to the LOS on pure speed. He's not there yet but with more reps and better conditioning he will blow up.

- Braxton Berrios was my offensive MVP. He catches absolutely everything and is the most QB-friendly player I've seen on Greentree since Shockey. He also had a nice little first-down run on a screen. Tyre Brady is also coming on strong and caught a short TD from Olsen where he used his body to create space.

- We have some extremely fast LBs. Jermaine Grace was exceptional and Perryman was Perryman. This may sound crazy, but I don't see how we can keep Nantambu Fentress off the field. That little sucker is everywhere and plays at a different speed than everyone else. Juwon Young and Darrion Owens are also blazing fast.

- The most positive development of camp for me is the development of Calvin Heurtelou. He is becoming a legit NT and was clogging things up beautifully.

- Anthony Chickillo continues to play at the highest level I've seen from him. He deflected Kaaya's first pass and was a terror after that.

- Chad Thomas got multiple pressures from the inside and outside. He is coming on very strong and will make an impact this year. Justin Tuck pt 2.

So who is your qb at Louisville?

The one that gave up 500 yards in like 7 straight games down the stretch last year?

Yeah...I'll wait til we play competition with a pulse before exhaling in regards to dat D doe.

No, it's not the same defense.

See, in college guys graduate, guys mature, guys grow both physically and mentally.

Last year's defense sucked.

This is not last year's defense.

Advertisement
Robert Griffin took Baylor from average to the top.

Manziel turned around Texas A&M.

Derek Carr made an average Fresno state team into a top25 team.

Rakeem Cato makes Marshall way better than what they are.

I can keep going. Heaps numbers were not even average. They were garbage. He is not the answer.

You said bad teams. RG3 leaves and Baylor doesn't miss a beat. Texas A&M has talent on that roster... Marshall gets talented kids who can't qualify at other schools.

All you're telling me is that elite college QBs can take a team to another level.

With those examples why not use Winston for this?

Please do keep going you didn't list a awful team that is being propped up by good QB play.

Maybe Jay Culter at Vandy. Vandy was awful. He made them respectable one year by his right arm alone and they still finished 5-6.

Thanks D$ and looks like Berrios making most of his reps. Love that.

Going to be nice when Duke needs a breather where Yearby comes in and we just keep it moving, that's depth.

Expecting Grace to make an impact this year.

And good news on Chick and Heurt.

And surprising on Fentress. Next Rohan Marley?

Chads a beast.

Kaaya isn't going to learn on the bench. If heaps was clearly ahead of him that's one thing but it does t seem that way so to me you play the freshman and lean on the run game.

Except the last two Heisman winners were redshirt freshmen.

I understand that but Jameis wasn't starting over Manuel. And manziel was behind tannehill. We don't have a future Nile qb ahead of kaaya right now.

Advertisement

So, we comin?

Advertisement
Those DB's are going to be something special over the next 2 years.

Jamal, Dallas, Deon, Hester, Gayot, Jenkins, Howard, Burns, Crawford, and Elder are gonna be some bad boys.

Physical as all **** and can cover the livelong day.

Love watching good corner and safety play

I was able to attend the second scrimmage and thought Kaaya looked solid. He definitely goes through he projections. I remember one or two long passes I wish he threw but he still completed to the check downs. I would not be worried about his performance.

I attributed the sacks more towards the offensive line struggling tonight. It seemed like there were a lot of combinations they were trying out. I mean Joe Brown got a lot of reps.

I thought Yearby had a great scrimmage and was also impressed by Tyre Brady on the offensive side. On the defensive side Chick, Gaines, AQM, Perryman, Artie and Crawford all stood out.

Also Heaps was wearing an elbow brace. I was at saturday's practice and he took no hits or contact. So I assume it must be inflammation.

All in all, my impression is that the team looks improved from last year.

Gaines?

You were at the scrimmage today and in your mind Jimmy Gaines stood out?

Advertisement
Back