The Work - Final Stretch

View as article
Pete has posted 57 times in this thread and addressed every non-Smith-related question. There's definitely something going on with Smith.

along with that observation .... Dugans is not pushing for Pouncey last minute (or nothing seen at least).

Staff must think that we either take Smith or grad transfer as 4th WR (granted very small shot at smith at all IMO)

Advertisement
Not claiming to be an insider and Pete can't post this information bc he would be exposing the system and the bull**** paying players going on in college football but with McFarland Maryland paid and dad asked us to match and we said no. Miami does not pay prospects since Shapiro screwed us. Devante smith was paid more than 90 percent of the country make in a year to not go on his Miami visit from Saban and Alabama. Would be shocked if he didn't end up there but them losing the guy he has a good relationship with may push him to LSU. Pete just do a winky face to confirm but have someone who is always spot on tell me about this stuff year after year and it's always funny to me how the NCAA won't shut this **** down. We will put it this way better get ready for dissapointment of lingard next year unless we drastically change our system this year and start paying again.

Been going on for ages.

Back when Jimmy Johnson first arrived at the U, he was recruiting an explosive RB/WR from Arlington, VA named Eric Metcalf. Happened to be the son of a former NFL star, Terry Metcalf.

We thought we had him...but then we didn't. Near the end of the recruiting cycle, JJ was quoted as saying that he thought maybe Notre Dame got to Eric's mother in Seattle. (I guess the parents were divorced.)

All of a sudden, Eric ends up signing with Texas. I remember Sam Jankovich, who was our AD, was furious. He said something--although not mentioning the Metcalfs by name--that the IRS should start investigating the recruits and their families for not reporting the income.

Actually, when a kid or his family all of a sudden gets tens of thousands of dollars, plus other consideration, for signing, that's a significant amount of income that's not being reported. The IRS should be very interested, but it's hard to turn anybody in when you don't have more facts. Of course, to most of you, the IRS is not a sympathetic victim, but still, families that get many tens of thousands of dollars tax-free, if not more, are taking advantage of the rest of us.

If the NCAA won't do something, i wish the IRS would. I guess nobody wants to touch these kids. Seems like a volatile situation, all of a suddent thousands of fans will yell it's persecution and/or racism if the NCAA or I tried to go after the kids, the programs, or the uncollected tax.

That is a great point about the IRS that I didn't even consider. They will be the ones to expose system unless they start getting their piece of the pie. The NCAA is making crazy money no way they can expose their big time money makers. It's hard to believe their has not been a rouge recruit or football program that has come out and said anything. I mean I'm not even tied to a football program and I know about this. With the hundreds of thousands of people who know the system and al the details it's just a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.

Pete has posted 57 times in this thread and addressed every non-Smith-related question. There's definitely something going on with Smith.

along with that observation .... Dugans is not pushing for Pouncey last minute (or nothing seen at least).

Staff must think that we either take Smith or grad transfer as 4th WR (granted very small shot at smith at all IMO)

What do y'all not get about our class being Harley, Njoku, Thomas and DeeJay. How hard is that for you all to understand? Why do people keep bringing up Smith and Pouncey?

Good solid class if we finish with Henderson, Dean and Edwards, but solid classes don't win NC's.

Perhaps...but solid classes do win the Coastal....winning the Coastal gives you a chance to win the ACC...winning the ACC gets you great classes that do win the NC.

Finally someone who gets it. It's a process. People need to sit back and enjoy the ride. I know the Coker, Shannon and Goldens years have you all shook but we have a legit staff finally. Let them work!

Get the fck out of my face. You sound like golden "trust the process ".

And you sound like a whiny a$$ bytch throughout this whole thread..So what's the difference between you and Golden?

Mediocrity has done a number on our fan base.

Advertisement
[MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION]

You are getting a lot of sheet on here but there are sane adults here that do enjoy your posts. (even though we disagree on steaks!)

I appreciate that man, it's cool it is what it is. I'm excited how the staff is closing on what appeared to be long shots at the end of December

I love hyperbole and absolutes . . . especially when talking about recruiting.

What led us to have a punter playing wr during spring practice a few years ago? That was probably where we found our worst ever wideout class. Would it be a failure if NJoku and Harley were the only wideouts to qualify? Yes. I will speculate a little . . . we have cooled on Pouncey who seemed set for Miami a few weeks ago. Richt isn't perfect, but clearly he has a plan and hasn't turned to plan C kids when plan A kids went elsewhere. I am not worried about Thomas qualifying or not. I'd bet he has a qualifying score already, or 1-2 points away on the ACT. He may be making failed courses up, IDK. There is a clear plan in place for him. I am also sure that straight As aren't needed to be a full qualifier. I would also bet that Cs are all that is needed to qualify at this point. Could he **** up? Yes. I am a teacher in Metro Atlanta. In order for a kid to fail my class this must happen:

I need to contact the parent if the grade drops below a 75. Below 70 is failing. I have to document parental contact. I then have to give the student multiple opportunities to master the concepts that he has failed. If he is caught cheating, I cannot give a 0. That is a behavior problem, not an academic problem. If he fails the opportunity to remediate, I have to give him more opportunities. I have to contact parent again. If the student won't do the work or acts up in class I have to submit a social worker referral. If I cannot reach the parent I have to submit the ref to the social worker. If the student won't stay after school to remediate, I have to find the time in class. One day a week has been set aside for remediation. Now I have to cram in 4 days what I formally had 5 days to teach.

Most districts are moving in the direction my district is in. I haven't even mentioned the SST, RTI, special education, 504 pieces with school!

Just fyi, per Illinois insiders Thomas has had a qualifying ACT score since his Sophmore year.

The issue with him has been grades, but more specifically passing enough "core classes" to meet the NCAA requirements

From Pete. Let's not **** it up please.

IMG_0195.JPG

Jeff Thomas - Announcing Wednesday 10AM on ESPNU

In what should be good exposure for Mark Richt and the Canes on signing day, Thomas will announce his decision his decision live on ESPNU from his school. Thomas was Miami's to lose heading into the weekend and the fact that he cancelled his Oregon OV is even more of a signal that the Canes are in good shape. The last wide receiver to pick Miami on ESPNU? Stacy Coley.

Mike Harley - Announcing Wednesday 10:15 AM on CBS Sports' National Signing Day Special

Harley to Miami is the worst-kept secret out there at this point, but it's another nationally-televised announced which Richt has to love. The speed that him and Thomas would bring is just what the doctor ordered.

C.J. Henderson - Announcing Noon Wednesday at Columbus - CanesInSight will be live on-site

Everything that I've heard with Henderson points to him signing with Miami on signing day. Late last week, sources said that the Columbus speedster had informed all staffs recruiting him (Miami, UF, Alabama) of his decision. A source close to Henderson told me last that nothing had changed since then and unless something changes, it will be the Hurricanes. This could end up being the biggest snag for Miami down the stretch just based on the battle itself. Not only were the Gators in the lead for a substantial portion of time, but this is a guy who Nick Saban wanted badly at cornerback.

Brian Edwards - Announcing Wednesday at Miramar (Time TBD) - CanesInSight will be live on-site

Edwards went through with his scheduled visit to UF this weekend, but Miami is still in position to land his signature come Wednesday morning. Not only is his family fully on-board with the Hurricanes, but the combined recruiting effort of Mike Rumph and Ephraim Banda won Edwards over last week, according to sources. Florida is not confident on their chances either. Side note: Miami loved Edwards' attitude and demeanor on the official visit last weekend and defensive coaches believe he will see the field early and often next season.

Jhavonte Dean - Announcing Wednesday and Blinn Junior College (Time TBD)

Dean has been a heavy Canes lean since early December and nothing has changed. Anything other than Miami would be a surprise for the south Florida native.

Jordan Pouncey - Announcing Wednesday via commitment video on Twitter (Time TBD)

The latest buzz here has been Texas and I'm not sure this is a decision that Canes coaches will lose much sleep over. It does not appear that he has been a priority for the staff and they are satisfied with a receivers class of Evidence Njoku, Thomas, and Harley.

Advertisement
Class address all needs. I love it

I actually think the staff did pretty well this year. I think this is an upgrade from what we have seen over the years recently. I also expect this staff to do even better next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This class was considered a success to me once we secured Herbert. Him and Donaldson will be impact guys day 1.

Not all, but I'd argue that this class if it pans out as above addresses our most pressing needs at OL, WR, and DB. RB was a tough miss. Need 2-3 good backs in 2018.

Advertisement
Back