The Work 10-11

View as article
I think the grimes thing will in long term be good. Hopefully word spreads & guys think long & hard before going elsewhere.

Advertisement
I can't believe I'm siding with Brock.

You take Grimes. Period. End of discussion. Would be a fireable offense if Richt turns this kid down and he becomes an All American somewhere else.

Think about that and reassess the situation..

The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

You don't turn down elite talent at a skill position. Unbelievable.

Well as of now it’s more about them being comfortable with what they have at receiver and what they’re bringing in. But that last part is something that could play into the equation.

IMO coaches should never be comfortable with what they have at any position. They should always try to add quality talent.

10 months ago, we looked to be loaded at RB and look how delicate the RB situation is now. We were looking at a depth chart of Yearby, Walton, Homer, Gus, Choc, and McFarland. Players get injured or leave for all sorts of reason. The top programs stockpile talent.

You take Grimes. Period. End of discussion. Would be a fireable offense if Richt turns this kid down and he becomes an All American somewhere else.

Think about that and reassess the situation..

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The majority of you are letting your machismo get in the way of common sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I get that you guys want to defend the staff, but Grimes is an elite talent period. What happened to “stacking chips”? That’s all that most of this board preaches about, but now we should turn down elite talent because they “missed their chance”? I’m sorry, but it’s total nonsense.

We stacking chips with Pope, Wiggins, and Hightower, mane. #pringles

Stack another one on that bih
Even stacking chips has to be calculated move. You're not calculating ***t.

And if you are thinking about 2019 receivers or whatever he’s better than ANYONE we are recruiting that year for receivers...

Listen, the difference between you and I here is I trust Richt's decision when it comes to situations like this. You don't. You think you know better than him. Good for you.

**There has been message board speculation recently that Ohio State freshman wide receiver Trevon Grimes was unhappy in Columbus and was looking for a potential change of scenery after this season — with Miami being at the top of his list if he made that decision. I was tipped off about this two weeks ago, but after doing some digging, I’m told that he is not somebody UM would be interested in unless something unforeseen changes with their current crop of receivers and recruiting class. In the last couple years, Miami has turned down local prospects like Tim Irvin who once spurned Miami for other programs, only to want to transfer back home a year or two later.

Grimes was a higher caliber prospect than that, but Miami’s message in these cases has been “this is what happens when you “miss your chance to play here”. It’s obviously too early in the stages to say that it won’t happen for sure, but at this point he isn’t in their plans.

I like this approach. Might frustrate some fans in the short term, but I think it could really pay off, especially if we continue getting our **** together as a program. Just like we need to keep local guys from going elsewhere in the first place, they need to understand that you only have one shot at wearing the U. So better think long and hard before flying off to Bama, OSU, etc.

I can dig it.

Hold your sack like a man, CMR! Don't go running after Grimes. Don't need to.

We are literally stacked at WR going into next year, and we don't need to jeopardize the goodwill we have with Pope, Wiggins and Hightower on account of Grimes who was so deadset on going to Ohio Taint that he never even gave UM the time of day.

So he goes to &hithole Columbus only find that Urb's a liar, Ohio sucks, Ohio chicks are terrible, the weather is about to go down the toilet, and most importantly - he ain't gettin' any burn! BTW - Guarantee that ol' Urb promised him plenty of early PT...

I'm not saying we shouldn't take him if things play out in our favor, but I admire CMR for making him prove it that he really wants to be here. This is the U - not WVU that stocks up on everyone's castaways! If Richt is smart, he will use this as recruiting ammo in the future when local star players are so **** eager to leave Miami.

Advertisement
but Miami’s message in these cases has been “this is what happens when you “miss your chance to play here”.

I ****in love that

I mean that’s fine and all but out of our big receivers langham, cager, Harris, njoku I only feel comfortable with langham probably if that.... cager played uninspired and didn’t look like he wanted to play in our biggest game of the year... the fvck?.... Harris has been suspended multiple times throughout his career here and you can’t count on him. Njoku is nursuring an injury... why not take grimes in that situation?

This is a classic Saban tactic in a way. You recruit a guy you like, offer him, and if he isn't willing to be serious or if he wants to sit on the fence you go find another guy and win with them. Part of becoming a strong recruiting team is not allowing people to think you are a solid backup plan. You're a first option and the best option. Local players stringing you along only to go elsewhere and forcing you to sign a lesser player, only to try and come back and reclaim the spot you originally offered them is like your wife cheating on you and then you apologize to get her back.

I’m with you on taking Grimes. It being a fireable offense is WAY off the deep end though. I judge coaches by wins and losses.

Advertisement
The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

You don't turn down elite talent at a skill position. Unbelievable.

Well as of now it’s more about them being comfortable with what they have at receiver and what they’re bringing in. But that last part is something that could play into the equation.

Didn't Grimes suffer a serious season ending injury last year at STA?

iron sharpens iron, bring grimes in period...

Iron does sharpen iron, but when iron meets glass, glass shatters into a thousand little pieces and is hard as fvck to clean up.

But here's what I know: Grimes was a top prospect coming out of STA. Ran fast at the Opening. Tall with good size. And by all accounts, a very polished route runner. Then he tore his ACL early in his senior season and has spent the last year rehabbing the knee. He waited until near the very end of the recruiting process to pick O$U, and he hasn't been on O$U's travel team this year. Now it looks like he would like to come back home because of some personal/family issues.

Meanwhile, we pulled in Njoku/Harley/Thomas at WR in that class. Now we have two consensus studs committed in Hightower and Pope, along with an underrated Wiggins at WR.

It sounds to me like Richt would rather dance with the girl(s) he showed up with. And I can't say I disagree. Not just because of loyalty or respect for the value of a UM offer (though those are both great reasons). But also because, to continue the metaphor, Grimes showed up to the dance late and with some serious baggage.

Maybe Grimes fully recovers and becomes a great D1 WR, but I have no problem with this pass.

Advertisement

Iron does sharpen iron, but when iron meets glass, glass shatters into a thousand little pieces and is hard as fvck to clean up.

But here's what I know: Grimes was a top prospect coming out of STA. Ran fast at the Opening. Tall with good size. And by all accounts, a very polished route runner. Then he tore his ACL early in his senior season and has spent the last year rehabbing the knee. He waited until near the very end of the recruiting process to pick O$U, and he hasn't been on O$U's travel team this year. Now it looks like he would like to come back home because of some personal/family issues.

Meanwhile, we pulled in Njoku/Harley/Thomas at WR in that class. Now we have two consensus studs committed in Hightower and Pope, along with an underrated Wiggins at WR.

It sounds to me like Richt would rather dance with the girl(s) he showed up with. And I can't say I disagree. Not just because of loyalty or respect for the value of a UM offer (though those are both great reasons). But also because, to continue the metaphor, Grimes showed up to the dance late and with some serious baggage.

Maybe Grimes fully recovers and becomes a great D1 WR, but I have no problem with this pass.

THIS^^^^^

He picked osu in the summer

Advertisement
Back