The Work 10-11

View as article
I would much rather trot out Trevon Grimes as a big receiver than Harris, cager, njoku(he’s hurt so holding judgement on him ultimately) langham(he saved us but I think he can be a player. I just happen to think grimes better than them as big receivers. Excited to what Hightower and the others can do next year too though

Advertisement
Canes have as much or more depth at wide receive as any other position
Grimes would have to sit next year and if that good probably go pro after his second year here. That is 2 years on ship only playing 1
Canes have wide receivers coming in 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes.
While he may be elite that 1 year of playing time Overall benefit of bringing him.here would not be that great..

Y'all know Gerald Willis said no to us the first time around too. The tough guy logic is flawed if as soon it's a position of need you get weak.

None of you wanted JC Jackson either right.
Exactly

Terrible analogy. Richt was not at the helm during his HS recruitment and I don't think was here when he transferred in. Don't mix up the school with the new regime. Lets keep in mind we have professionals at the helm now.

It's not an analogy, it's a comparison. A comparison you don't like, which is fine.

I'm not talking about staffs, I'm talking about high quality players. Grimes would've been a monster take 12 months ago, he's a monster take now.

Check and see how many tough guys were hoping Glenn Logan, who initially rebuffed us, transferred here.

Advertisement
The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

You don't turn down elite talent at a skill position. Unbelievable.

Not dumb at all. Set the example of, "If you want to be here, you better not tip toe around it. Get in while you can."

Yeah, you give up the instant gratification of getting that one recruit, but you send a message to all future ones that this is not going to be a fall back place. Don't think you can go and try somewhere else and if it doesn't work out you can still come back.

Y'all know Gerald Willis said no to us the first time around too. The tough guy logic is flawed if as soon it's a position of need you get weak.

Exactly

Terrible analogy. Richt was not at the helm during his HS recruitment and I don't think was here when he transferred in. Don't mix up the school with the new regime. Lets keep in mind we have professionals at the helm now.

It's not an analogy, it's a comparison. A comparison you don't like, which is fine.

I'm not talking about staffs, I'm talking about high quality players. Grimes would've been a monster take 12 months ago, he's a monster take now.

Sorry, comparison. Again, Im talking staffs. We are in a much better position and I don't think Richt wants to play games with what he is building.

Tough-guy logic? Smart coaches "make examples" and "send messages" where and when they can afford to. How good (and healthy) is the player? Does he play a position of need? How is the depth? How will this impact recruiting? These are all (just some) of the factors that a smart coach considers (instead of just mindlessly "stacking chips").

I don't want some short-sighted corch who brings in anyone with a pulse and some talent that's become available. But neither do I want some hard-lined corch who is so interested in making statements and sending message that he doesn't consider the effect on the field.

If Richt looked at his WR depth, looked at what he has coming in 2018, looked over Grimes and saw more question marks than exclamation marks, then decided to pass because he likes the message it sends, that's precisely the type of methodology and case-by-case analysis I want from my head coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

You don't turn down elite talent at a skill position. Unbelievable.

Not dumb at all. Set the example of, "If you want to be here, you better not tip toe around it. Get in while you can."

Yeah, you give up the instant gratification of getting that one recruit, but you send a message to all future ones that this is not going to be a fall back place. Don't think you can go and try somewhere else and if it doesn't work out you can still come back.

As has already been pointed out, future recruits are unlikely to be aware of what happens with Grimes. No message will have been sent. The whole notion is absurd.

How could anybody outside the staff, or the very inner circles of the staff, know what their plans might be for Grimes? There's absolutely no way they would even talk about that to anybody outside the few within the program.

Not buying any rumors about this kid and the staff's intentions.

You've hit it on the head. Want what we want but just wait and see what happens.

As has already been pointed out, future recruits are unlikely to be aware of what happens with Grimes. No message will have been sent. The whole notion is absurd.

I have no idea what recruits hear or learn. I know that there are always those who make the mistakes others have made year in and year out before them and still get burned by it. Will also chalk that up to youth, inexperience, and feeling like you are different which is a big part of youth. Though I am curious if the pointing out was done by someone who recruits, works with the kids in high school, knows recruits personally, or if it was just pointed out by random fan?

The kids may not know. The parents might know. The coaches and the "advisors" will certainly know. Those linked to Grimes will know.

I don't know which way is right. Also don't know if he has any interest in coming back or what the staffs reaction is. Just trying to understand this information and why.

Advertisement
I get that you guys want to defend the staff, but Grimes is an elite talent period. What happened to “stacking chips”? That’s all that most of this board preaches about, but now we should turn down elite talent because they “missed their chance”? I’m sorry, but it’s total nonsense.

Exactly, stack chips. He would immediately be the most talented big receiver

He had his shot with UM.

Now he doesn't.

Move on.

I get the now or never logic with recruits. They don't want to create a situation where they can fall back on Miami after giving a another school a chance... But how realistic is it to only take transfers that didn't turn us down initially. The only transfers we should take are ones that we have never had dialogue with previously? Guys we had no interest in during the recruiting process? Tough dynamic

Don't feel like skimming through 11 pages so I apologize in advance...

But Walton is definitely gonna declare Pete?

Advertisement
Also should be noted on Grimes that he was not a guy that this staff went “balls to the wall” for. Yes, they were recruiting him, but Grimes didn’t show much reciprocal interest and UM did not view him as a “can’t miss”

if something did changed on this, would you be able to comment?

guessing staff would want it kept on the DL..

Exactly

Just re-read Pete's original piece. He specifically mentioned the staff turning down LOCAL prospects who spurned us and wanted back in. Gerald Willis or Glenn Logan don't fit that description.

Exactly

Just re-read Pete's original piece. He specifically mentioned the staff turning down LOCAL prospects who spurned us and wanted back in. Gerald Willis or Glenn Logan don't fit that description.

All great coaches make those decisions mainly based on winning. If Grimes could help us be better and win more games.. take him

The thing I find hilarious is people are acting like the fate of the program rests upon trying to convince a kid to hopefully get a medical hardship from Oh St lol.

If this were several years ago, I would understand it 100%, but I just think people are overreacting to something that's immensely insignificant.

And, the guarantee that Grimes would be better than everybody else is more hilarious. It's simply based on HS. Which fans could easily do the same with Pope but are deciding not to.

He won't be available to play until next year, so people are basically saying the staff is out of their mind for not going all out to get a kid that nobody even knows if he's going to be ready to play.

I mean, is this kid going to be a 1st round draft pick? Well, **** I hope for this board's sake he is, cause if not that'll be a shame lol.

Also funny to see people have already given up on Thomas/Harley/Joku & are breaking out into convulsions because Richt isn't all that interested in Grimes lol.
Trevon "Randy Moss" Grimes the greatest WR in STA history caught 1rec for 9yds vs Kentucky UF's first P5 opponent.

There's so many L's in this thread lol, scroll through a few pages for a great laugh.

Advertisement
Back