The two weeks before FIU...

Advertisement
These kind of stories -- called "reconstructs" -- are done almost every day by the best newspapers. You counter sour grapes by getting multiple sources on both sides of an issue.
And let's say a sour grapes player says there was a team meeting and so and so happened. Now you know there was a meeting. Start digging. Confirm that there was a meeting. Get 4, 5 people to detail the meeting. You leverage what a source said to get others to talk.
It's not easy. It takes time. It takes hustle. It takes the ability to get people to open things up. But in a screwed up situation, people are more likely to talk.
Question; Can you remember a single in depth media reconstruct about Miami football in the last 10 years? And I don't mean a few paragraphs from a single anonymous source. I can't.

You're right, it can be done. The question is, will it be done? Because to do it fairly you have to be very thorough and interview a lot of people. Do you see any journalist in Miami, or so-called journalist, willing to do this? Therefore, it's never going to happen.

And to answer your question there hasn't even been a decent in-depth article about Miami football in eons. I mean an actual in-depth review of Miami football, with intelligent in-depth analysis.

So a reconstruct? It's almost laughable. Will never happen. We literally have the laziest most superficial writers ever to exist in the history of sports. Their efforts are akin to the sports section of a small high school newspaper. I don't know how they even get a paid a full-time salary.

Last edited:
Butch saw the film and knew Jarren’s bread and butter was in between the hashes and he took that away. I can’t recall any of his long TD strikes hitting near the sidelines all season.

Cant forget about special teams.Our new kicker accounted for 9 of FIU’s points (not accounting for XP’s) and I can’t remember if this was the game that all3 of our place kickers missed, but I do recall missed attempts.

We had just skinned Fla St and Louisville alive. Then we had two weeks off.
Any thoughts about what happened inside the program before the FIU disaster? Morale sank? Loss of faith in the coaches? Poor preparation? Jarren pouted? Didn't he break curfew with a few others?
The FIU loss just didn't make sense.

manny.gif

Anything can happen during prep and on the field .....If your HC is busy dancing

Advertisement
Manny doesn’t know what to do during the weeks before a Bye week or just time I’m convinced. Before the start of the season , in the games directly after a bye week and the bowl loss all came despite having extra preparation time
You overlook the possibility that it is BECAUSE of extra preparation time -- crappy coaching hurts, more days of crappy coaching hurts more. Bowl game prep is a separate skill that even JJ sucked at but opening games and games after a bye should not always be losses. Like his defense, Manny does not age well. He should only be head coach of preseason hype.

They wanted Manny fired. That was a big, 'ol 'F*ck you, Manny!'. They didn't even try to win that game, and I am convinced they went in with the intention of losing.

Slow start? Sluggish 1st quarter? It happens. But they could have gotten their sh*t together to win that game if they wanted to. Teams do it all the time so I'm not buying the parting / high before the game excuse.

At some point during that debacle, either Manny should have gone on a full-on Bobby Knight rampage and then benched his entire starting units, or the team leaders should have cracked heads and demanded better play from the team. You don't disrespect your head coach, the school, alumni nor yourselves by performing like that. Unless it was by design to make a point.

Now why the sabotage? That's where good investigative journalism covering our team would be wonderful... All signs point to Manny mishandled some situation(s), and the team began to resent him for it. Jarren was immediately shown the door and not even allowed to compete for the backup spot or to groom to be the starter in 2021 after King, so I'm guessing he was at the center of it.

Advertisement
You're right, it can be done. The question is, will it be done? Because to do it fairly you have to be very thorough and interview a lot of people. Do you see any journalist in Miami, or so-called journalist, willing to do this? Therefore, it's never going to happen.

And to answer your question there hasn't even been a decent in-depth article about Miami football in eons. I mean an actual in-depth review of Miami football, with intelligent in-depth analysis.

So a reconstruct? It's almost laughable. Will never happen. We literally have the laziest most superficial writers ever to exist in the history of sports. Their efforts are akin to the sports section of a small high school newspaper. I don't know how they even get a paid a full-time salary.
I'd love to see an expose on the Hurricanes over the last 15 years constructed similarly to Steve Hubbard's Shark Among Dolphins.

1585609027182.png

I think of the anectodal details that I've read over the years. It would be illuminating to know the specifics of how things went off the rails for each coaching regime....and whether certain coaches were set up to fail or were doomed to fail before they even coached a single game.

I'd love to see an expose on the Hurricanes over the last 15 years constructed similarly to Steve Hubbard's Shark Among Dolphins.

View attachment 114475

I think of the anectodal details that I've read over the years. It would be illuminating to know the specifics of how things went off the rails for each coaching regime....and whether certain coaches were set up to fail or were doomed to fail before they even coached a single game.

Absolutely...Behind scenes in the Coker, Randy, Golden eras...It's far enough in the past that many Canes would now be willing to talk...I mean, there are no sports to cover. Be ambitious with your free time...

Absolutely...Behind scenes in the Coker, Randy, Golden eras...It's far enough in the past that many Canes would now be willing to talk...I mean, there are no sports to cover. Be ambitious with your free time...
Agreed. Some unanswered questions...

Shannon: Why did so many players end up in Randy’s doghouse? Did the team fracture in 2010 due to sides being take between Whipple and Randy? Why did Marve, Cook, and Smith all transfer in an offseason? Did Randy get rebuffed if and when he tried to up the budget? Did Randy know the Shapiro mess was incoming (likely, as it was reported locally while he was still headcoach)

Golden: Did Al really force Stephen Morris to play on a partially torn Achilles? How long did it take for players to turn on Golden? How close was Golden to going to Penn State, or other schools?

Just a few unanswered questions?

Advertisement
Diaz may be in over his head. We will find out for sure this year. Anything less than 10 wins with this schedule is a failure IMO.
Agree until the last part of your post. That‘s the old line of thinking. Today’s teams and people don’t view Miami as the badass and shouldn’t with the past 16 years results...

Advertisement
Back