The two weeks before FIU...

Neither FSU or Louisville was a good team. And we mostly beat Louisville because of how many boneheaded penalties they kept making. Louisville actually outgained Miami in that game, IIRC.

And I'm sure Butch Davis was making a big deal out of beating Miami. He probably isn't happy with having gotten rejected for the Miami job.

Looking at UL they were actually surprisingly decent at 8-5 last year, the head scratcher was the loss to FSU and even in tht game they were up with less than 5 mins

Advertisement
IMO, that was the worst & most embarrassing loss in school history (in the modern era). FIU was 0-30 vs P5 teams coming into that game... 0-30.

The team looked completely unmotivated & had absolutely no fight in them whatsoever.

Jarren had a nervous breakdown & looked like he was melting under pressure & the Defense allowed FIU's WR's & RB's to put on a clinic, they were marching up & down the field at will vs our Secondary & LB corps.

They were out-coached, outclassed & out-efforted. They played that game like they had something better else to do.

The whole team was a JR Smith meme.

Advertisement
We had just skinned Fla St and Louisville alive. Then we had two weeks off.
Any thoughts about what happened inside the program before the FIU disaster? Morale sank? Loss of faith in the coaches? Poor preparation? Jarren pouted? Didn't he break curfew with a few others?
The FIU loss just didn't make sense.
Over confident, unprepared, and unmotivated add out coached down 20 points and using 9 minutes to score late in the game.

Most frustrating thing about the FIU game is how easily the offense marched up and down the field when they were in hurry up mode. Where tf was that urgency all game??

Advertisement
..."After I'm done Spanking that *** (Literally) again"...Take your Lispy *** back to Alhambra ASAP....
1574618902625.png

We had just skinned Fla St and Louisville alive. Then we had two weeks off.
Any thoughts about what happened inside the program before the FIU disaster? Morale sank? Loss of faith in the coaches? Poor preparation? Jarren pouted? Didn't he break curfew with a few others?
The FIU loss just didn't make sense.

No one took Florida International seriously (right down to missing curfew) and Miami rolled in big-headed for all the reasons you listed; hot **** for beating a bad Florida State team and average Louisville squad, with a super-immature team lacking leadership.

Counter that with this being the biggest game in FIU's history and Butch Davis knowing how to pull off an upset (#2 UCLA, 1998) and you saw them get a jump on the Canes—who were still dancing like idiots on the sidelines (really tired of Holley's show —#98)—and voila, Upset City. By the time Miami cared, it was too late.

That, and Jarren Williams sucks. Davis killed the RPO and told his linebackers to stay put—where deer in headlights Williams tossed it into their breadbaskets twice.

Yup, pretty much all that. Thanks for the reminder of that awful night.

IMO, that was the worst & most embarrassing loss in school history (in the modern era). FIU was 0-30 vs P5 teams coming into that game... 0-30.

The team looked completely unmotivated & had absolutely no fight in them whatsoever.

Jarren had a nervous breakdown & looked like he was melting under pressure & the Defense allowed FIU's WR's & RB's to put on a clinic, they were marching up & down the field at will vs our Secondary & LB corps.

They were out-coached, outclassed & out-efforted. They played that game like they had something better else to do.

The whole team was a JR Smith meme.
I try, TRY to chalk up last season as just first year jitters from Manny. But man, it's hard. He put so much focus on stupid crap like celebration tracking it is extremely difficult to do so. At what point does he say, "What the **** was I thinking?" Does he have it in him to admit he made more mistakes than simply hiring Dan Enos?

They always say a team takes on the identity of the head coach, and last year we were all style over substance. From the yacht, to the TD rings and sideline dancing. Manny crashed a clinic, and Butch Davis put one on.

Advertisement
No one took Florida International seriously (right down to missing curfew) and Miami rolled in big-headed for all the reasons you listed; hot **** for beating a bad Florida State team and average Louisville squad, with a super-immature team lacking leadership.

Counter that with this being the biggest game in FIU's history and Butch Davis knowing how to pull off an upset (#2 UCLA, 1998) and you saw them get a jump on the Canes—who were still dancing like idiots on the sidelines (really tired of Holley's show —#98)—and voila, Upset City. By the time Miami cared, it was too late.

That, and Jarren Williams sucks. Davis killed the RPO and told his linebackers to stay put—where deer in headlights Williams tossed it into their breadbaskets twice.

Yup, pretty much all that. Thanks for the reminder of that awful night.
Not to mention Butch taking away ANY crossing routes...

Diaz may be in over his head. We will find out for sure this year. Anything less than 10 wins with this schedule is a failure IMO.
I would say that 8-9 wins would be a successful season. At least that’s what I personally expect. Our schedule isn’t as easy as we think. UAB and Temple will be tough games. Those are two good programs. Michigan State is always a good team and I like their new head coach. UNC is probably the favorite to win the coastal. Idk much about the other teams in the coastal but o would assume that Pitt and Virginia Tech will be pretty good. They always have a sold program. And the FSU game is always close

Advertisement
I was actually optimistic that this team would finish the regular season 8-4 and get a decent bowl game after trouncing FSU and Louisville. But then again Enos and Jarren Williams might still be here.

this. we would've scraped by at 8-4 and called it an improvement, leading to another year of enos' smug "i know better than you" attitude about his dog **** offense and 7-8 win purgatory. at least now we'll be entertaining if/when we lose games.

I try, TRY to chalk up last season as just first year jitters from Manny. But man, it's hard. He put so much focus on stupid crap like celebration tracking it is extremely difficult to do so. At what point does he say, "What the **** was I thinking?" Does he have it in him to admit he made more mistakes than simply hiring Dan Enos?

They always say a team takes on the identity of the head coach, and last year we were all style over substance. From the yacht, to the TD rings and sideline dancing. Manny crashed a clinic, and Butch Davis put one on.

My only hope is Manny is a guy who made adjustments. If we look at his DC performance there have been plenty of times where he's made changes 2nd half to completely change the game, 2016 ND, 2016 UNC, 2018 FSU, 2017 UVA, etc. At least he was smart enough, though a year late to finally go full spread with Lashlee. Our last two coaches, Golden who wanted to bolt for PSU, and richt who cared more about his son and ego about wanting to call his own plays to prove UGA something was still checked out/ Manny from all accounts loves it here and knows he can't **** up so here's hoping he gets his **** together

Advertisement
Back