The truth of the matter is...

gabednconfused

That/Dude
Premium
At this point, in any canes fan's eyes, IF Butch is not hired this situation will be viewed as a total failure.

I cannot think of any coach who can come in and cause a stir like butch. Find one, besides Chud (who wont leave the NFL for sure) who would peak fan interest.

Some people can say oh well these guys (Herman et al.) may not have the resume but they can be big time.

The problem is the Herman-type hire was SUPPOSED to be done 5 years ago.

Now because the university messed that one up royally, you have to really go for a home run. There is no home run that checks all the boxes besides Butch.

I will buy season tickets if Butch is picked and I don't even live in the USA, thats what this hire does.

Advertisement
At this point, in any canes fan's eyes, IF Butch is not hired this situation will be viewed as a total failure.

I cannot think of any coach who can come in and cause a stir like butch. Find one, besides Chud (who wont leave the NFL for sure) who would peak fan interest.

Some people can say oh well these guys (Herman et al.) may not have the resume but they can be big time.

Now because the university messed that one up royally, you have to really go for a home run. There is no home run that checks all the boxes besides Butch.

I will buy season tickets if Butch is picked and I don't even live in the USA, thats what this hire does.

This^^^^^

Great post, man! +1

Personally, I don't really care if the guy has aspirations to move on to the NFL or another higher paying gig. All that means to me is that the guy would have been wildly successful here to get that opportunity which is a plus in my eyes. Worked for us before.

Just think if we hired Butch today... ESPN would go crazy and Jimbo and saban would probably retire

LOLOLOL I honestly think most would laugh at us.

I think if we hired Chip Kelly you'd get a stir bigger than Saban to Bama or Harbaugh to Mich.

Advertisement
Truth of the matter is many fans will b*itch and complain no matter who the next coach is and claim that the program is done

Last edited:

Well put and accurate. The ability of fans to galvanize their message within this board, and others, can not be underestimated. The anticipation of Butch's hiring now has a life of its own.

I don't want a stir but a winner! Butch is not the only coach that can turn things around. Sure, history is there but it guarantees nothing.

Complete due diligence needs to be done.

Advertisement
Spot on in the statement about the Golden hire should have been our Herman hire.

Spot off in saying that Chud would peak fan interest.

I couldn't disagree more with the OP. While I myself personally want Butch to come back and re-create the juggernaut...there are numerous other candidates that we could hire that would certainly show that we are serious and intend to re-take our spot in the elite of the elite. In fact, despite wanting Butch to come back, I actually put Gary Patterson #1 on my list. We need to be gauging interest from a long list of candidates, including Butch Davis.

Advertisement
Chip Kelly would still be my first choice. I would love Butch but with butch who he brings as assistants would be as important.

Advertisement

Where the **** do you people come up with this ****?

Where the **** do you people come up with this ****?
Implying that Butch is a home run is hilarious.

Advertisement
Back