The truth of the matter is...

No one in all of college football would care if we hired Butch again. You guys live in your own world.

Everyone in college football would be terrified if we hired Chip Kelly or Gary Patterson

Everyone in the ACC would be terrified if we hired Rich Rod, Herman, Fuente or Strong(he's not on my list but I think he's still well thought of)

Different coaches elicit different reactions. A Butch hire whether you like it or not would barely move the needle

The reaction will be: "Lmfao, UM stays living in the past"

Who would you hire if not Butch?
Butch and Herman are my two choices. That doesn't mean Butch is some god like some are trying to make him. The sentiment that other schools would be or should be fearful of a guy who hasn't coached in 5 years and did a mediocre job at his last stint is delusional. He is a solid hire with many question marks. Sorry if that offends the Butch is Gawd Brigade.

Ultimately, you have to be able to coach the players you recruit. F A G couldn't do it, and I am not 100% convinced that Butch can do it at this point in his career. Would I be ****ed if UM hires Butch? **** no! I can live with Butch if we strike out on other candidates who are better coaches than Butch. I just don't want to see UM hire Cristobal, Chud, Schiano or Trestman.

As Friendchise has said, UM needs to identify top coaches and have them decline the job. If that happens, then, by all means, hire Butch.

This is where I have a problem. The idea that he is the best-worst option is offensive. I personally think he is the best fit, at this time, and prefer him over any name you can come up with. I would not be upset, if he is passed over, for some else (except Mario, Chud, Schiano).

Advertisement
The reaction will be: "Lmfao, UM stays living in the past"

Butch and Herman are my two choices. That doesn't mean Butch is some god like some are trying to make him. The sentiment that other schools would be or should be fearful of a guy who hasn't coached in 5 years and did a mediocre job at his last stint is delusional. He is a solid hire with many question marks. Sorry if that offends the Butch is Gawd Brigade.

Ultimately, you have to be able to coach the players you recruit. F A G couldn't do it, and I am not 100% convinced that Butch can do it at this point in his career. Would I be ****ed if UM hires Butch? **** no! I can live with Butch if we strike out on other candidates who are better coaches than Butch. I just don't want to see UM hire Cristobal, Chud, Schiano or Trestman.

As Friendchise has said, UM needs to identify top coaches and have them decline the job. If that happens, then, by all means, hire Butch.

This is where I have a problem. The idea that he is the best-worst option is offensive. I personally think he is the best fit, at this time, and prefer him over any name you can come up with. I would not be upset, if he is passed over, for some else (except Mario, Chud, Schiano).

Okay. We can agree to disagree.

Okay. We can agree to disagree.

Fair enough.

We all don't have to agree on everything I think Schiano would be good hire he would bring top Coordinator's with him. Strong would be another good one too. Cristobal would be the worse hire possible, if I had to take one off bama it would be kiffen over Cristobal

I just don't get the Lane Kiffin thing. I haven't followed him all that closely, but I don't recall him tearing it up anywhere he's been a head coach, and he doesn't appear to be stable. While we don't need a coach who views UM as a "destination" job, we need a guy who can actually recruit, coach up the players and win games. Kiffin looks like he can recruit, but I am not sure that he can coach up the players or win games.

i would take him over Cristobal not Butch or Schiano

If not Butch, then Tuberville who came from J.J.'s staff, would be a much better choice
than Mario.

Advertisement
Herman and Fuente one w highest risk.
Kelly ain't COMIN. Neither is Patterson.

If we are going for broke on a home run, then you take a swing at Gundy.

If we are going to play it safe and stock roster back up, you go Butch and give him money for best staff he can gather

Personally, I don't really care if the guy has aspirations to move on to the NFL or another higher paying gig. All that means to me is that the guy would have been wildly successful here to get that opportunity which is a plus in my eyes. Worked for us before.

I don't care either. The problem is JJ and Dennis came in to GREAT situations and won. That is not what we have now. Butch came into crap situation, save the program, won and left greatest team ever to win an NC. If we were talking back then, well a Herman would walk in win a NC in a couple years and go toe NFL. BUT that is not what we have. We just got rid of a loser coach who spent 5 years tying to turn us into PSU. We are again is a crap situation. Fortunately Butch is again available to save us. Apparently, THE U is the only place that he is good at. That is good news because we appear to only be good with his recruits.

At this point, in any canes fan's eyes, IF Butch is not hired this situation will be viewed as a total failure.

I cannot think of any coach who can come in and cause a stir like butch. Find one, besides Chud (who wont leave the NFL for sure) who would peak fan interest.

Some people can say oh well these guys (Herman et al.) may not have the resume but they can be big time.

The problem is the Herman-type hire was SUPPOSED to be done 5 years ago.

Now because the university messed that one up royally, you have to really go for a home run. There is no home run that checks all the boxes besides Butch.

I will buy season tickets if Butch is picked and I don't even live in the USA, thats what this hire does.

You said it all my man.

GIVE ME BUTCH OR GIVE ME DEATH.

At this point, in any canes fan's eyes, IF Butch is not hired this situation will be viewed as a total failure.

I cannot think of any coach who can come in and cause a stir like butch. Find one, besides Chud (who wont leave the NFL for sure) who would peak fan interest.

Some people can say oh well these guys (Herman et al.) may not have the resume but they can be big time.

Now because the university messed that one up royally, you have to really go for a home run. There is no home run that checks all the boxes besides Butch.

I will buy season tickets if Butch is picked and I don't even live in the USA, thats what this hire does.

You said it all my man.

GIVE ME BUTCH OR GIVE ME DEATH.

This is what everyone keeps missing. Golden was supposed to be Herman. Who hasn't even coached a full season yet.
Butch will come for less and we will have plenty left over to pay the rest of the coaching staff top dollar. And not one person on the board can deny he will bring in top notch talent and develop it..period

Advertisement
I couldn't disagree more with the OP. While I myself personally want Butch to come back and re-create the juggernaut...there are numerous other candidates that we could hire that would certainly show that we are serious and intend to re-take our spot in the elite of the elite. In fact, despite wanting Butch to come back, I actually put Gary Patterson #1 on my list. We need to be gauging interest from a long list of candidates, including Butch Davis.

But it would have to he that type of hire. Well established guy, has been doing it for ever.. etc. An up and comer is still risky.

If we are going to play it safe and stock roster back up, you go Butch and give him money for best staff he can gather

Look at the resources Gundy has at OK State. Why would he leave that for what we have. SMH

Advertisement
I couldn't disagree more with the OP. While I myself personally want Butch to come back and re-create the juggernaut...there are numerous other candidates that we could hire that would certainly show that we are serious and intend to re-take our spot in the elite of the elite. In fact, despite wanting Butch to come back, I actually put Gary Patterson #1 on my list. We need to be gauging interest from a long list of candidates, including Butch Davis.
gary patterson is not even going to consider this job even if he got a call

Who wouldn't be happy with Patterson or Kelly! But those hires are not going to happen. For realistic and proven big-time coaches, Butch is the best option.

This is how I feel.

Advertisement

Who wouldn't be happy with Patterson or Kelly! But those hires are not going to happen. For realistic and proven big-time coaches, Butch is the best option.

Says who?

The way this process works is the boosters get together and raise capital, and then a candidate pool is determined based on that capital.

Miami has said money is not an issue this time. Offer the best coaches you can and see what comes. Simply bowing out and hiring Butch is not how you conduct a search.

LOLOLOL I honestly think most would laugh at us.

I think if we hired Chip Kelly you'd get a stir bigger than Saban to Bama or Harbaugh to Mich.

The odds of that happening are in the neighborhood of .0000014%.

Come up to the real world. Not fantasy games.

Says who?

The way this process works is the boosters get together and raise capital, and then a candidate pool is determined based on that capital.

Miami has said money is not an issue this time. Offer the best coaches you can and see what comes. Simply bowing out and hiring Butch is not how you conduct a search.

This is exactly my point...while Butch ultimately probably will be our best, most realistic option, you have to test the waters on the best of the best out there. If you don't you are absolutely botching the one thing that you absolutely have to get right.

Maybe Gary Patterson wouldn't listen. Maybe Fuente wants to go to USCe. Maybe Chip Kelly isn't actually going to get fired. Maybe Herman is more interested in the USC job. Maybe D'Antonio just wants to live in Michigan. Maybe Hue Jackson is going to hold out for an NFL gig that may be coming his way. There's no problem with reaching out to their agent and finding these things out.

Once you get a list of people that are interested, you interview them and you make a decision. Butch should just be part of that process...and I truly believe that he will get us back to where we want to be. But you MUST go through the process and be willing to take a chance if you believe it to be the right decision and in the best interest of the University.

Where the **** do you people come up with this ****?
Implying that Butch is a home run is hilarious.

Butch is a home run for our fan base, simple as that. Our fan base is what needs to be appeased now. We cant go through another developmental project with a ******* bible of rules.

All of the other names (Chip Kelly, Rich Rod etc..) of experienced coaches are pipe dreams who don't know the lay of the land and have definite, hands on MIAMI experience.

The only two who do are Butch and Mario, and we know Mario isnt going to get **** done so that leave Butch.

When you look at the condition of the program, the last 5 years AND the timetable we need to win in (i.e. ASAP), Butch satisfies those all. He will have a short leash, and if he does not deliver quickly he will surely be let go. This isnt a rebuild job.

Advertisement
Back