The truth of the matter is...

I couldn't disagree more with the OP. While I myself personally want Butch to come back and re-create the juggernaut...there are numerous other candidates that we could hire that would certainly show that we are serious and intend to re-take our spot in the elite of the elite. In fact, despite wanting Butch to come back, I actually put Gary Patterson #1 on my list. We need to be gauging interest from a long list of candidates, including Butch Davis.

Who wouldn't be happy with Patterson or Kelly! But those hires are not going to happen. For realistic and proven big-time coaches, Butch is the best option.

Says who?

The way this process works is the boosters get together and raise capital, and then a candidate pool is determined based on that capital.

Miami has said money is not an issue this time. Offer the best coaches you can and see what comes. Simply bowing out and hiring Butch is not how you conduct a search.

This is exactly my point...while Butch ultimately probably will be our best, most realistic option, you have to test the waters on the best of the best out there. If you don't you are absolutely botching the one thing that you absolutely have to get right.

Maybe Gary Patterson wouldn't listen. Maybe Fuente wants to go to USCe. Maybe Chip Kelly isn't actually going to get fired. Maybe Herman is more interested in the USC job. Maybe D'Antonio just wants to live in Michigan. Maybe Hue Jackson is going to hold out for an NFL gig that may be coming his way. There's no problem with reaching out to their agent and finding these things out.

Once you get a list of people that are interested, you interview them and you make a decision. Butch should just be part of that process...and I truly believe that he will get us back to where we want to be. But you MUST go through the process and be willing to take a chance if you believe it to be the right decision and in the best interest of the University.

Let's get real here. What "name" coach is going to take a chance on being rejected? Their stock would drop. The only interview will be with someone who has already taken the job, as a formality. Remember how Fraulden came back from his Ped State interview?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back