The truth about Mario

Mario literally checks enough of the checkboxes that is needed to be successful head coach for this program.
•We literally would not miss a step with recruiting, and if anything we may gain one or two surprise blue chip prospects.
•He’s a disciplinary coach, so you can expect the good players to play on Saturday regardless of experience or seniority (ex Oregon Flowe, Thibodeaux, Sewell) and the bad players to be benched.
•For a fair weather fanbase and city, he’s marketable, this isn’t some coach coming from Iowa community college, he’s well known in the SFL recruiting scene and is knowledgeable of our program history because he’s an alumni and he was part of it.
• and lastly he just wins. 2020 was a weird year for CFB with the whole crises and what not but he’s still 28-10 in the Pac 12 and has won 2 pac 12 championships. We struggle trying to win the coastal.

Advertisement
Would anyone outside of Oregon or that teams fans/players care or know?

I am just stating that paying a HC the amount we are talking about paying that hasn't won a championship...well is a recipe for disaster. Especially with a buyout clause attached to it.

We need to build a staff that has good coaches all over the place.....not just a Hot Name at HC.

We have shown that we wont pony up more than enough for me to believe that we Cannot afford the risk involved for Mario at the amount he's going to warrant.
I would think the rest of the Pac-12 would care. He is in the playoff discussion so yes a lot of people following college football will know.

So after Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Fisher, and Swinney who aren't leaving Alabama, Jacksonville, Seattle, A&M or Clemson, you want Ed O., Chizik or Lyles Miles? Because Stoops isn't coming out of retirement and Tressel is not giving up his YGSU President gig.

If Cristobal does agree to leave a very good situation in Eugene, then you can **** sure believe he has cart blanche to hire the staff he wants and believes he needs or it is a big, fat FU to his alma mater.

I would think the rest of the Pac-12 would care. He is in the playoff discussion so yes a lot of people following college football will know.

So after Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Fisher, and Swinney who aren't leaving Alabama, Jacksonville, Seattle, A&M or Clemson, you want Ed O., Chizik or Lyles Miles? Because Stoops isn't coming out of retirement and Tressel is not giving up his YGSU President gig.

If Cristobal does agree to leave a very good situation in Eugene, then you can **** sure believe he has cart blanche to hire the staff he wants and believes he needs.

I hope you are right.

I just feel like he's going to lose 1-2 games this year and we will still overpay.

I hope I am wrong.

The talks are that we would be paying him as much as those coaches. Do you feel like handcuffing ourselves to him like FSU did is a smart thing? Especially when he's really not won anything monumental?

This Pac-12 Championship stuff reminds me of what Gator Fans claim as their championships. Maybe I'm delusional, but I just don't find them as impressive...especially in the Pac-12.

The thing about this thread that makes me chuckle is the amount of excuses made for the inexplicable and frankly inexcusable losses Mario has taken. Not to mention the near misses against far inferior opponents.

Yes, he’s proven a lot but still has some truly ugly warts on his résumé.

Advertisement
The thing about this thread that makes me chuckle is the amount of excuses made for the inexplicable and frankly inexcusable losses Mario has taken. Not to mention the near misses against far inferior opponents.

He’s proven a lot but still has some truly ugly warts on his résumé.

Thank you!!! I knew it would bring some light to some. I just kept reading non-stop about how we needed Mario and give him everything he wants.

I need to see it play out this season. I agree with INDY...this next hire will make or break us as a football program.

I hope you are right.

I just feel like he's going to lose 1-2 games this year and we will still overpay.

Again, you seem to be obsessed on this meaningless point.

First, we have lots of porsters who whine when Miami does not pay a large coaching salary.

More to the point (since you have whined about it on this thread), I started a thread talking about paying Mario an exorbitant salary that was partially sarcastic due to the desperate position that Beta Blake and Manny have put Miami into right now. So, yes, it's not shocking that Miami might have to pay a higher-than-market salary to convince a coach in an otherwise-good-at-the-moment position to take on our challenge.

And, really, who gives a **** about "overpaying" for a coach? Has there been a single Miami fan who has EVER complained about Miami OVERPAYING a head football coach (unless, of course, you count someone thinking that the coach has earned zero-point-zero, and thus even a $1 salary constitutes overpayment)?

But, yeah, I guess we should add "risk of overpaying someone to coach Miami's football team" to the list as some sort of potential problem...

Again, you seem to be obsessed on this meaningless point.

First, we have lots of porsters who whine when Miami does not pay a large coaching salary.

More to the point (since you have whined about it on this thread), I started a thread talking about paying Mario an exorbitant salary that was partially sarcastic due to the desperate position that Beta Blake and Manny have put Miami into right now. So, yes, it's not shocking that Miami might have to pay a higher-than-market salary to convince a coach in an otherwise-good-at-the-moment position to take on our challenge.

And, really, who gives a **** about "overpaying" for a coach? Has there been a single Miami fan who has EVER complained about Miami OVERPAYING a head football coach (unless, of course, you count someone thinking that the coach has earned zero-point-zero, and thus even a $1 salary constitutes overpayment)?

But, yeah, I guess we should add "risk of overpaying someone to coach Miami's football team" to the list as some sort of potential problem...

If you were actually reading rather than to nit pick you would see why I didn't want to overspend. But go on with your narrative that only like 2 people in this forum like.

Advertisement
I hope you are right.

I hope I am wrong.

The talks are that we would be paying him as much as those coaches. Do you feel like handcuffing ourselves to him like FSU did is a smart thing? Especially when he's really not won anything monumental?

This Pac-12 Championship stuff reminds me of what Gator Fans claim as their championships. Maybe I'm delusional, but I just don't find them as impressive...especially in the Pac-12.
So what if he loses a game? We won 5 national titles with 3 undefeated seasons. Saban has won 7 national titles and he was been undefeated only twice. It is hard to go undefeated.

Do you feel like handcuffing ourselves to him like FSU did is a smart thing? FSU hired Taggart, guy who has never won a conference. Then replaced him with another G5 guy who had 1 big year at Memphis and won his conference. Justin Fuente left Norvell a darn good situation at Memphis.

Especially when he's really not won anything monumental? Again, he won a P5 Conference and a Rose Bowl. If it were me, if I am going the college route, then I've got to entertain a P5 head coach who has won his conference. So now you are down to Gary Patterson (not great his last 8 years), Lincoln Riley (who if he leaves OU is headed to the NFL), and Briles is untouchable. Ryan Day isn't leaving Ohio State. Franklin is heading to USC. You want Malzhan?

So what if he loses a game. Saban has won 7 national titles and he was been undefeated only twice.

Do you feel like handcuffing ourselves to him like FSU did is a smart thing? FSU hired Taggart, guy who has never won a conference. Then replaced him with another G5 guy who had 1 big year at Memphis and won his conference. Justin Fuente left Norvell a darn good situation at Memphis.

Especially when he's really not won anything monumental? Again, he won a P5 Conference and a Rose Bowl. If it were me, if I am going the college route, then I've got to entertain a P5 head coach who has won his conference. So now you are down to Gary Patterson (not great his last 8 years), Lincoln Riley (who if he leaves OU is headed to the NFL), and Briles is untouchable. Ryan Day isn't leaving Ohio State. Franklin is heading to USC. You want Malzhan?

No I do not want Malzhan lol.

I want a HC with P5 and NFL experience that has winning records in both, and can bring in big named assistants with him.

That also wont cost as much, which allows for more heads on the staff.

He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
No one comes in here and turns it around in less than 3 years (and that's if things pan out). But he was an OT and understands the importance of recruiting and developing an offensive line, knows where to find them - this is something a host of Miami coaches never fully understood and one of the major reasons they've existed in mediocrity for so long.

Advertisement
No one comes in here and turns it around in less than 3 years (and that's if things pan out). But he was an OT and understands the importance of recruiting and developing an offensive line, knows where to find them - this is something a host of Miami coaches never fully understood and one of the major reasons they've existed in mediocrity for so long.

I know there is a slew of comments, but one of mine on here actually states that is the main reason i would want mario.

Our OLINE SHOULD get fixed.

Yes, he’s proven a lot but still has some truly ugly warts on his résumé.

So, just curious as to these "inexplicable and frankly inexcusable losses Mario has taken" at Oregon, since I already posted something that provided context to his pre-Saban time at FIU.

He's got 10 losses in *5* seasons at Oregon (really, just 9 losses in 4 seasons where he didn't take over as an interim), but let's count them all just so we don't have an overly small sample size.

2017 - bowl game loss (by 10) to #25 ranked Boise State after Taggart left. Inexplicable? Frankly inexcusable? No.
2018 - home losses to (at the time) #7 ranked Stanford (in OT) and #25 ranked Washington State (by 14) and road losses to Arizona (by 29) and Utah (by 7). Inexplicable? Frankly inexcusable? Maybe the Arizona game.
2019 - Week Zero neutral site loss to (at the time) #16 ranked Auburn and road loss to Arizona State (by 3)? Inexplicable? Frankly inexcusable? No.
2020 - COVID year, at least 2 Pac 12 games that coulda/woulda/shoulda been played were never played. Bowl game loss (by 17) to (at the time) #10 ranked Iowa State, and road losses to Oregon State (by 3) and Cal (by 4). Inexplicable? Frankly inexcusable? No.

So let's review, shall we.

2-2 bowl record (1 loss came while taking over the team after Taggart left)
2-0 record in Pac 12 championship games (and Oregon has made the Pac 12 championship game 2 out of 3 of Mario's full years)
1 regular season loss to an OOC opponent (a ranked SEC team)
7 conference losses in 3 years; 5 of those losses were to unranked teams, all of which were road games, 4 of which were single-digit road losses

Sorry, my friend, I'm not seeing a whole lot of "inexplicable and frankly inexcusable losses" at Oregon. Arizona in 2018? Maybe.

Last edited:

I want a HC with P5 and NFL experience that has winning records in both, and can bring in big named assistants with him.

That also wont cost as much,
which allows for more heads on the staff.

Also, this coaching candidate should have a super-model wife, a 15 inch ****, and some experience as an astronaut (navigator acceptable, does not have to be the captain).

Advertisement

That also wont cost as much, which allows for more heads on the staff.
So define winning records in both? As it is P5 HCs with NFL experience, outside of Saban, let's see. You want P.J. Fleck or Mel Tucker or Jim Harbaugh or Paul Chryst or Greg Schiano? It becomes even smaller. And oh by the way, none of these guys, other than Fleck who won the MAC, have ever won their conference at any level. Check that Harbaugh won the Pioneer League twice at San Diego.

I respect your opinion, but where I think your take comes into question is glossing over the OSU win at OSU. That was a big, BIG deal!! And, they didn't win by a couple of lucky calls that went their way; they were clearly the better team. And, they were missing their best player on the entire team. This year's OSU win is a HUGE deal and should've put to bed any concerns about him being good enough.

Exactly. It's funny to me seeing people downplay that win saying Ohio St. isn't that good this year.

Ohio State has more talent than Oregon and dropped a game at home which they never do.

That in its own right is impressive

Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad if Mario was Richt at Georgia 2.0 here. We need a hire that signifies that this university is COMMITTED to its program. For ****sake 10 wins a year at miami SHOULDNT BE THIS HARD. Thats step one imo. The national title in 11 months with new coach ______ delusions are dead right now.

*not a Mario stan, but that Ohio state game and how they looked made me much more of a believer*
I agree on the perception part alone. Speaks volumes if they open the checkbook at a time where Mario’s stock and perception is at an all time high. If he chooses to come it is an enormous win bc other schools like USC want him. It’s legitimately the perfect time to get this done.

Advertisement
Back