The Top 5 leaps we need from defensive players

Advertisement
No disrespect to the Williams twins, I know they have the highest ceilings if put in the right roles. But Kam was the most impressive safety last year. He singlehandedly sealed a game with an open field tackle, made 1-on-1 takedowns regularly. And those 44 tackles were not in garbage time against garbage opponents. In fact, the Central Connecticut State game was the only one where he had no stats. Kid is the goods.

Nah James was the most impressive by far until his injury… Kam is the goods but y’all hyping that one open field tackle a little too much.

Anyone like the idea of Blades at safety full-time? Allows for more competition at CB among Dunson, Clarke, Porter, Couch, Ivey. And he also adds a veteran presence to the safety room. At least one of James, Avantae and Jojo will endure a sophomore slump.

Anyone like the idea of Blades at safety full-time? Allows for more competition at CB among Dunson, Clarke, Porter, Couch, Ivey. And he also adds a veteran presence to the safety room. At least one of James, Avantae and Jojo will endure a sophomore slump.

Yes. Safety and Nickel is where he will make his money IMO although he could play CB in a pinch too obviously. Agree with all that you stated.

He’s not the best open field tackler tho

Advertisement
I'm confident with corners even before the transfers. Issues really have been Ivy and Blades not taking that next step. Hopefully one or both of them will.

Overall I think we 1 Corner that will be a legit shut down guy and 3-4 others that would be solid contributes on any team in America. As a group lots of starting experience and lots of good ball played (yes some bad ball).

Honestly I'm more concerned about Safety we have some dudes but only 2 dudes (really 1.5 possibly 3). Probably 2 solid. But not much experience starting or behind them. We are and injury or two away from Blades moving back there.

2021 has proven that experience means nothing. What a crapshoot that was.

Advertisement
Who had the most interceptions and the highest coverage grade last year? Who had the most interceptions this spring? Who had one in the spring game?

I'm confident with corners even before the transfers. Issues really have been Ivy and Blades not taking that next step. Hopefully one or both of them will.

Overall I think we 1 Corner that will be a legit shut down guy and 3-4 others that would be solid contributes on any team in America. As a group lots of starting experience and lots of good ball played (yes some bad ball).

Honestly I'm more concerned about Safety we have some dudes but only 2 dudes (really 1.5 possibly 3). Probably 2 solid. But not much experience starting or behind them. We are and injury or two away from Blades moving back there.

2021 has proven that experience means nothing. What a crapshoot that was.
I’m not sure what step you want Blades to take. He was not healthy last season. I’m not sure why Blades is an issue. For Ivy, the pile on continues.

I’m not sure what step you want Blades to take. He was not healthy last season. I’m not sure why Blades is an issue. For Ivy, the pile on continues.
Yeah you're right. He's older, experienced, generally solid, but it's time the old guys (who were starters) really shut down the critics. It was a tough break for him and not his fault but he has limited time to overcome that and I'm rooting for him to be big time.

Leonard Taylor, James Williams - these are our future Day 1 early Day 2 players on defense...they need to play like it all season.
Chase Smith, Avantae Williams, and Tyrique Stevenson - these should be Day 2 type players...they need to play like it all season.

The top of our roster is what needs to make a leap.
Avante and Chase could be day 1 draft players as well

Advertisement
Nah James was the most impressive by far until his injury… Kam is the goods but y’all hyping that one open field tackle a little too much.

Disagree... James has the potential, however he missed too many tackles last year and was playing a bit tentative, which let him get beat by some wr.

Kam looked the most polished, however probably has a lower ceiling than James.

The whole "Kam/JW/AW" debate will carry on into Fall ball but this is a very healthy debate. What we can all agree on is based off last year and Spring ball...Steele needs to find a way to make sure that Kam, JW, Tae, and Frierson are on the field at the same time in that back 7 at least 65% of our snaps this season no matter what. Those 4 stand out above everyone in that back 7.

Disagree... James has the potential, however he missed too many tackles last year and was playing a bit tentative, which let him get beat by some wr.

Williams had quite a few really bad plays last year. Don’t remember many from Kam

But there’s no doubt Williams’ has what it takes to be the best player on the team

Gonna be great watching the three of those guys this year since Avantae could be the best of all of em as well

Advertisement
The whole "Kam/JW/AW" debate will carry on into Fall ball but this is a very healthy debate. What we can all agree on is based off last year and Spring ball...Steele needs to find a way to make sure that Kam, JW, Tae, and Frierson are on the field at the same time in that back 7 at least 65% of our snaps this season no matter what. Those 4 stand out above everyone in that back 7.

Stevenson?

James made more tackles than he missed and was the only player always near the ball to make a play. The other players like Kam were nowhere near the ball half the time.

Advertisement
Back