The Top 5 leaps we need from defensive players

Kam is arguably our best cover safety, guy has magnets for hands and a radar in his head. He and Tae are going to be so lethal back there this year! Kam was considered that coming out of HS too, a few respected people said he was the best safety in the class.

Kam Kinchens goes by JoJo?
Yea seen his dad call him that.

Advertisement
For me it's Harvey. We really lacked production from our DEs last year, and it's Harvey's year to really step up.

We really need to bring pressure from the outside, and if some combo of Harvey, Chantz, Davis and Ishmael can emerge this year to compliment the transfers then we could really have something.

I really thought Harvey would be the next AQM > Chad > Joe Jax > Garvin > Rousseau. We've actually developed some quality DEs who could get to the QB. Chad wasn't the greatest pass rusher. But I think you get my point. I thought Harvey would be that guy. He's the DE on the team I liked the most by far as a recruit (not counting the 2022 guys, who I like better). It has to click in this year!

For me it's Harvey. We really lacked production from our DEs last year, and it's Harvey's year to really step up.

We really need to bring pressure from the outside, and if some combo of Harvey, Chantz, Davis and Ishmael can emerge this year to compliment the transfers then we could really have something.
Davis is kind of the forgotten guy in all of this. We keep talking about how we need to get pressure on passing downs yet nobody ever mentions him. The reason likely being that because of his size and relative youth, he is not expected to be a major factor. However we are talking about pass rush here and used as such in one or more of Steele's 3rd down sub-packages, I believe that Davis could give us a tremendous boost as a pass rusher. The kid may lack the prototypical height and weight but Davis is a tough gamer with a non stop motor who excels at rushing the passer. Someone compared him to Javon Nanton a while ago and I think Davis may serve a very similar role for us this year.

Kamren Kinchens had 44tcks & 4PBU’s last year as TF & his coverage grade it what I base my opinion on.

No disrespect to the Williams twins, I know they have the highest ceilings if put in the right roles. But Kam was the most impressive safety last year. He singlehandedly sealed a game with an open field tackle, made 1-on-1 takedowns regularly. And those 44 tackles were not in garbage time against garbage opponents. In fact, the Central Connecticut State game was the only one where he had no stats. Kid is the goods.

Davis is kind of the forgotten guy in all of this. We keep talking about how we need to get pressure on passing downs yet nobody ever mentions him. The reason likely being that because of his size and relative youth, he is not expected to be a major factor. However we are talking about pass rush here and used as such in one or more of Steele's 3rd down sub-packages, I believe that Davis could give us a tremendous boost as a pass rusher. The kid may lack the prototypical height and weight but Davis is a tough gamer with a non stop motor who excels at rushing the passer. Someone compared him to Javon Nanton a while ago and I think Davis may serve a very similar role for us this year.

I was thinking Chase Smith in that role because he gives you more options. But Davis in special packages could work.

Advertisement
I was thinking Chase Smith in that role because he gives you more options. But Davis in special packages could work.
I think they will both be given special pass rush packages just different ones. Davis has shown an ability to come of the edge during Spring and even Mario commented on it. I don't think this is a one or the other type of situation. They will both be given opportunities to be disruptors in the passing game from different areas of the field imo. The more the merrier!

I really thought Harvey would be the next AQM > Chad > Joe Jax > Garvin > Rousseau. We've actually developed some quality DEs who could get to the QB. Chad wasn't the greatest pass rusher. But I think you get my point. I thought Harvey would be that guy. He's the DE on the team I liked the most by far as a recruit (not counting the 2022 guys, who I like better). It has to click in this year!
I agree as I also had him pegged as the next productive Miami DE but to this point it hasn't exactly come together. I hope it clicks but I'm not necessarily expecting it too. Put it this way....if this staff can't get it out of him then next man up. However I do think we will see improvement. The question is how much improvement will he make.

1. Leonard Taylor - This is based on talent and opportunity. If he gets comfortable with the new expectations (and that will require he take some lumps), with what's around him, he can almost single-handedly change down and distance for our opponents.

2. Chase Smith - He's supremely talented. He'll now have a much clearer idea of what to do. Let him run.

3. 2nd Corner (pick a player) - This is based mostly on opportunity. Opposing teams will otherwise find this spot on the field and pick on it. Whoever jumps into the other outside CB role will need a leap.

4. James Williams - Whether at Safety or, more likely, at multiple spots on the field, he can be a true 3rd down terror for us. His ability to rush the passer while looking like he could drop in coverage gives us one of our best chances to get off the field.

5. Darrell Jackson - He's 19. He's still growing. Whether he becomes a star or not, a leap in front of Jordan Miller makes us capable of playing all the fronts we'll need.

Prior to Darrell Jackson's signing, simply because of the dynamic of missing pieces, I would have had Harvey and perhaps another DL (Agude, Haye, Chantz) on the list. As mentioned on the "DL pieces" thread, Jackson sends ripple effects across the entire DL. Now, Mesidor (who's not on the list because I think he's a more known commodity) can play outside, if necessary. And, both our base and sub-packages become far more flexible.

5 months ago, I was deathly concerned about what our defense would look like for '22. I imagined Kevin Steele and crew would have to work absolute magic. They still will need to be creative in covering up some holes, but given our schedule, there is more hope.
As usual you come up with great posts. Please post more! Thanks.

Like many of you I agree with the leap needed on the D-Line but I also think we need a leap at both corner positions. We've been so poor at the corner spot the last couple of years and I think people are looking at Tyrique like he's an All American. He got beat last year too on many plays. He just looked better because he tackled better than anyone else. If he can take that leap and get better in coverage that would be huge too.

Advertisement
I agree as I also had him pegged as the next productive Miami DE but to this point it hasn't exactly come together. I hope it clicks but I'm not necessarily expecting it too. Put it this way....if this staff can't get it out of him then next man up. However I do think we will see improvement. The question is how much improvement will he make.

I think that’s an open question right now for Harvey, JHH, Roberts, Chantz, Huff, Blades, Ivey. Miller to a slightly less degree. Lots of defenders who we thought super highly of coming out of high school and who (other than Huff) have flashed in college games, just not enough or consistently.

I know it could just as easily go the other way with a new regime and they could go backward or continue to struggle. But you have to think they’re given a golden opportunity with this staff — Steele, Strong, Addae and Salave’a are all trade ups IMHO. Though I could accept the argument that TRob and Addae are an even exchange and the scheme is what makes the difference. Regardless they have the support they need; it’s really up to them to make it happen now.

I think that’s an open question right now for Harvey, JHH, Roberts, Chantz, Huff, Blades, Ivey. Miller to a slightly less degree. Lots of defenders who we thought super highly of coming out of high school and who (other than Huff) have flashed in college games, just not enough or consistently.

I know it could just as easily go the other way with a new regime and they could go backward or continue to struggle. But you have to think they’re given a golden opportunity with this staff — Steele, Strong, Addae and Salave’a are all trade ups IMHO. Though I could accept the argument that TRob and Addae are an even exchange and the scheme is what makes the difference. Regardless they have the support they need; it’s really up to them to make it happen now.
Agreed. Just like Mario said after spring." It's all up to them now."

Like many of you I agree with the leap needed on the D-Line but I also think we need a leap at both corner positions. We've been so poor at the corner spot the last couple of years and I think people are looking at Tyrique like he's an All American. He got beat last year too on many plays. He just looked better because he tackled better than anyone else. If he can take that leap and get better in coverage that would be huge too.
As far as TS is concerned, I have always seen him as a Safety with good cover skills. He will obviously play CB this year but I think Steele is going to move him around and I'm excited to see how. I would like to see him play inside a bit and I think Steele may try and use him as a blitzer more to take advantage of Stevenson's physicality and hitting ability.

Last edited:
Our defense will surprise people this year.....purely from a coaching standpoint....

If TVD and company can score 33+....we win this division
They scored 33+ last year, and how did that turn out? Holding the opponent under 34 points is not at all the goal.

Advertisement
In regards to lack of edge rush, I think Steele will go with some 4-3 over and use guys like Moss and Davis at wide 9 on obvious passing downs. It's not the ultimate answer but it should allow him to get some pass rushers on the field for situations like 3rd and long.

Those two guys in particular look like they can bend and get around the corner. Putting them way out there on passing downs for a few snaps a game can give us that edge rush and minimize the exposure to the run.

This defense lacks elite playmakers in the front 7 (maybe Taylor develops into one) but it does have a ton of different style pieces. Its going to take a good DC to open it all up but there are some interesting combinations. Going to be fun to watch the defense again, really interested to see how Steele uses all the chess pieces and gets it to all come together.

Advertisement

I've seen this same tweet for the past 10 years LOL.

One of these years, we're gonna play up to the level that the media and Vegas sets for us. Let's hope it's this one.

FSU at 33/1 does make me smile, though. And think about it, they get Miami and GT as their crossover games. And they're still 33/1. Miami gets FSU and at Clemson and we're 5/1. Warms my cold, dead heart.

I've seen this same tweet for the past 10 years LOL.

One of these years, we're gonna play up to the level that the media and Vegas sets for us. Let's hope it's this one.

FSU at 33/1 does make me smile, though. And think about it, they get Miami and GT as their crossover games. And they're still 33/1. Miami gets FSU and at Clemson and we're 5/1. Warms my cold, dead heart.

All facts. I just didn’t know what other thread to drop it in, lol. Although I can’t recall 5/1 odds …

All facts. I just didn’t know what other thread to drop it in, lol. Although I can’t recall 5/1 odds …

Does seem a little low. I wanna say we were like 8/1 or something like that last year? Probably a lot to do with Clemson coming off a bad year and having questions.

Advertisement
Back