The Top 5 leaps we need from defensive players

@Liberty City El don't you see Avantae as that ball hawk type safety we’ve been missing for a decade or more. In addition to his talent and natural instincts, I think in the right defense he could be lethal back there. Or am I missing something about him?
I think he’s pretty good, but I don’t see him as a Ballhawk on that level, yet.

Can he? Sure he can, I’m just going off what they did last year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its in his name, its in his blood.. He gonna lean on a Bull til its proven on field.. Both are basically equal at moment so he gon rock with a bull. Its respectable and understandable..
This isn’t true at all.

James Williams is the best Safety on the team & I’ve said that since day 1.

The question is about who can be the dynamic Ballhawk & my opinion is based on what they’ve done thus far.

I’m not biased towards Bulls, if that was the case would I be the main one hollering & screaming for us to add another Portal WR, when Romello Brinson is retuning for Fall camp? In that recent Brinson thread ain’t I the main breaking down specifically why we can’t just rely on & assume that an unproven commodity will be able to carry the load of being the #1 WR?

Kamren Kinchens had 44tcks & 4PBU’s last year as TF & his coverage grade it what I base my opinion on.

I literally post on Texas CB’s all the **** time, when’s the last time I even posted a MNW player? Yes I love my school & where I’m from but I’m 1,000% NOT this overly biased person towards my school, I’m actually one of the most objective people on the board. My favorite player on the team is Elijah Arroyo & my favorite players on Defense is Chase Smith & Tyrique Stevenson.

Please do not put that claim on me.

Not including portal transfers in regards to the title…

1. Al Blades jr.

2. Chase Smith

3. Waynmon Steed

4. Leonard Taylor

5. Elijah Robert’s

If these 5 players make the “leap” in addition to the type of impact we are expecting from the portal transfers, including Tyrique… then this defense is going to be top 10 with Steele, Strong, and Addae coaching them up.
While I agree with you, I don’t think Chase or Elijah will be considered making the ‘leap’, but merely having an opportunity to show what they bring to the table and that they are deserving of the snaps they’ll be getting. The previous coaching staff did them no favors. They are both behind in their development. If healthy, they both should be playing and I think they will be..

@Liberty City El and anyone else who tracks the other top Coastal opponents and Clemson, how does this defense compare to the rest of our conference now? Will it hold up versus the schedule we play?

Advertisement
@Liberty City El and anyone else who tracks the other top Coastal opponents and Clemson, how does this defense compare to the rest of our conference now? Will it hold up versus the schedule we play?

Yes. Clemson has the best DL starters by far. Depth might be us.

Nate Wiggins should emerge as a stud CB, but not your typical Clemson D behind that front 4 IMO.

UNC has talent on paper and added a depth DL, athletic but not necessarily refined cb from OSU, and solid backer from UVA. THey have some highly rated players that are 2nd to 3rd year players too like Murphy, Ritzee and Grimes.

Pitt is the other one, but not sure their DBs are good enough for narduzzis scheme.

Talent wise we are right there or better. Steele putting it together is a big plus compared to those teams coordinators. Really going to come down to how big of a step can guys like LT, JW, KK, Tae, Chase, etc. take.

If most of them do, we should be top 2 D in the conference IMO.

DL and LB play needs to make the biggest leap. We were below average in both areas last year. Talent on DL has definitely improved in the offseason but I still don't see us having highly effective pass rushers this season (most talented guys on DL are still young). That remains a concern for me. I agree that with players like James Williams & Leonard Taylor (together with some creative playcalling), we should generate sacks-by-committee. I'm confident the LB group will be at minimum solid and will have great coaching. Talented young guys have to step up. Need sure tackling, smart play & serious sideline-to-sideline speed out of this group. DT, Safety (stellar) and CB we should be good.

Dave Chappelle Dylan GIF

Dylan being Leonard Taylor in this case. Living up to his ranking is going to be the most important thing, and it will impact everyone else on the defensive side the most. We might need to get a conversation going about spending money there vs qb/wr moving forward.

Advertisement
1. Leonard Taylor - This is based on talent and opportunity. If he gets comfortable with the new expectations (and that will require he take some lumps), with what's around him, he can almost single-handedly change down and distance for our opponents.

2. Chase Smith - He's supremely talented. He'll now have a much clearer idea of what to do. Let him run.

3. 2nd Corner (pick a player) - This is based mostly on opportunity. Opposing teams will otherwise find this spot on the field and pick on it. Whoever jumps into the other outside CB role will need a leap.

4. James Williams - Whether at Safety or, more likely, at multiple spots on the field, he can be a true 3rd down terror for us. His ability to rush the passer while looking like he could drop in coverage gives us one of our best chances to get off the field.

5. Darrell Jackson - He's 19. He's still growing. Whether he becomes a star or not, a leap in front of Jordan Miller makes us capable of playing all the fronts we'll need.

Prior to Darrell Jackson's signing, simply because of the dynamic of missing pieces, I would have had Harvey and perhaps another DL (Agude, Haye, Chantz) on the list. As mentioned on the "DL pieces" thread, Jackson sends ripple effects across the entire DL. Now, Mesidor (who's not on the list because I think he's a more known commodity) can play outside, if necessary. And, both our base and sub-packages become far more flexible.

5 months ago, I was deathly concerned about what our defense would look like for '22. I imagined Kevin Steele and crew would have to work absolute magic. They still will need to be creative in covering up some holes, but given our schedule, there is more hope.
Great topic and I agree with your list. We desperately need Leonard Taylor to take the next step and bringing in Jackson will only open more 1on 1 opportunities for LT. The Darrell Jackson addition was that crucial missing piece of the puzzle on the DL and will have a synergistic effect on the defense as a whole.

I agree that Chase Smith is supremely talented and that isn't just some CIS overreaction. That kid can play. A 100% Chase Smith with a defined role plus the type of elite coaching he is now getting is something that should have everyone here excited. Add the stability that Caleb Johnson brings to the Mike position plus Gil, Keontra and a rejuvenated Waynmon Steed plus coaching and the prospect of significant improvement in the LB corps suddenly becomes very realistic.

For the 2nd CB you mention in the OP I would go with Daryl Porter Jr. Porter will have a big opportunity to make plays as he is likely to see his fair share of targets. I'm assuming that Steele has Porter at Field CB and TS at Boundary CB but I could be wrong. The secondary was the surprise of the Spring Game with the CBs looking very good playing a more aggressive press oriented style. All of a sudden we have quality depth at CB with Dunson, Couch, Ivey, Curtis and Blades all responding extremely well to the new scheme and the coaching. It's refreshing to actually see players improve and develop. The true freshman will provide more depth.

The Safety position is an incredible strength with Avantae Williams and Kamren Kinchens as the starters with Steele using James Williams like a Queen on a chessboard.

@LuCane You mentioned that the defense still has holes and of course you are right. In your opinion what exactly are those remaining holes on defense and what are the most significant of those holes remaining.

Mesidor is the guy for me. We need a game-plan wrecker on the Dline. We would all love for it to be LT but when I watch mesidor’s film I see a guy who if he takes another step could go from really good to dominate.

@LuCane You mentioned that the defense still has holes and of course you are right. In your opinion what exactly are those remaining holes on defense and what are the most significant of those holes remaining.
I think two of our most talented Edge rush prospects are guys who should still be in High School. One is currently severely underweight and the other is recovering from shoulder surgery.

The name of the game on defense is stopping the run while effectively rushing the passer on passing downs. Basically, get the eff off the field. We’re missing a necessary clear-cut pass rush element on D, and will have to see something unexpected or coordinate our way to results.

The other hole in our D was mentioned by LCE: I’ve not yet seen evidence of someone breaking on the ball. One step further, we seemed absolutely lost in zone coverages. If we’re to improve, coaching needs to step in to, first, implement a zone that actually works. And, two, teach it well. Then, perhaps we can see guys like AWilliams and Kinchens and even some of the Nickel players make breaks on the ball.

We can project some progress, but until we see some evidence, I’ll temporarily label Edge rush and DB anticipation as possible holes on the Defense.

I am not going to talk about individuals but I will mention what I have mentioned in other threads.

I will just be happy if the team improves on getting off the field on third down and fourth down situations. It seems like under the last regime we gave up too many first downs on those money downs and that is truly unacceptable. Especially in situations when the distance was more than 10 yards for a first. We should be consistently getting off the field in those scenarios.

I have no doubt in my mind Steele and Strong will have us better prepared and will make proper adjustments.

Advertisement
Advertisement
For me it's Harvey. We really lacked production from our DEs last year, and it's Harvey's year to really step up.

We really need to bring pressure from the outside, and if some combo of Harvey, Chantz, Davis and Ishmael can emerge this year to compliment the transfers then we could really have something.

The top 5 should be at least 4 DL and probably a backer. That’s it. Yeah, it’d be nice to game James or Tae or Kinchens etc become a first-rounder. But this defense was awful up front last year. No team is good without a solid front 7. Look at the Bama’s, UGAs, Clemson’s etc. QB play is important but look at the common denominator on the great teams lately. Dominant up front on defense. Even the best defense we’ve had here in the past decade, it was the best front we’ve had. So LT and Harvey are 2 of probably the 3 most important kids on the team. Have to have a disruptive force in the middle and have to have someone who can disrupt passing games without having to blitz. Basically the entire DL room will dictate how good this team will be.

One thing to add, I was downright terrified that this defense would be absolutely putrid about 4 months ago. And it would have. But the portal additions make me feel a LOT better. I think we can actually be pretty good on defense now, again assuming some of these kids develop.

As far as 2nd Corner/Boundary...

Isaiah Dunson seemingly made the biggest strides this Spring camp as a kid that could be a potential starter. He lacks raw foot speed but plays with good physicality & has improved his strength & technique in coverage, he looks to be a kid that might benefit from Steele’s scheme & Addae’s coaching.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Dunson & Jaden Harris do come Fall camp & if they can move up the Depth chart.

Also wondering if they plan on using Porter Jr at Nickel our if they’ll play him at Boundary like West VA did, because then things could really get interesting if they play him outside.
The development of Isaiah Dunson to the point he claims a starting spot would be a very very pleasant surprise and would speak volumes about the the new coaching staff. Coach Addae has done an incredible job in his short time here. I truly look forward to seeing the strides that our CBs have made as a unit. The reemergence of Al Blades has been another great story and it would seem as though we actually have solid depth at the position. Now if we can get TeCoury Couch back on track and see tangible in game development/improvement from DJ Ivey(I know) we will have a good solid base at CB to go with our strength at Safety.

I think two of our most talented Edge rush prospects are guys who should still be in High School. One is currently severely underweight and the other is recovering from shoulder surgery.

The name of the game on defense is stopping the run while effectively rushing the passer on passing downs. Basically, get the eff off the field. We’re missing a necessary clear-cut pass rush element on D, and will have to see something unexpected or coordinate our way to results.

The other hole in our D was mentioned by LCE: I’ve not yet seen evidence of someone breaking on the ball. One step further, we seemed absolutely lost in zone coverages. If we’re to improve, coaching needs to step in to, first, implement a zone that actually works. And, two, teach it well. Then, perhaps we can see guys like AWilliams and Kinchens and even some of the Nickel players make breaks on the ball.

We can project some progress, but until we see some evidence, I’ll temporarily label Edge rush and DB anticipation as possible holes on the Defense.
I agree that the biggest hole would be generating a pass rush. Moss and Kelly seem to be out best prospects but as you mentioned, they should both be at their senior prom.

In your opinion does the addition of Agude and Mesidor(will play DE more with Jackson commit) together with the assumed improvement of Chanz Williams and Jafari Harvey allow us to mitigate that weakness significantly enough? I would think that compared to last year that we would see marked improvement. Granted maybe not enough to be a strength but enough to get us to a respectable level in terms of ability to generate a pass rush.

Advertisement
Back