The TE room

Advertisement
We agree on that. I have not suggested it’s a bad eval. I asked about process - this is a topic I have mentioned before and am increasingly interested in given the mounting evidence that bad evals are a key piece of our two decade decline. Without a good process, evals are a crap shoot.

I don’t expect Manny to be the eval guy personally, but he is the head coach and he has to own the process by which we evaluate, offer and take commitments (and stay on them), or we’re left with hope as a strategy, which rarely works out.

I am pretty sure Nick Saban doesn’t turn over evals to brand new assistants outside of a detailed process to vet them.

I'm sure there is a process (doesn't mean it good)
Golden had a process...we have all seen the video of it. Ultimately any process even its it's perfectly constructed is only as good as the people using implementing it.

Advertisement
I'm sure there is a process (doesn't mean it good)
Golden had a process...we have all seen the video of it. Ultimately any process even its it's perfectly constructed is only as good as the people using implementing it.
Yes but you’re ignoring the importance of process in saying that. Complex organizations need well designed processes to achieve results effectively. Simply having a process is better than not, I guess. But it’s not enough. And good processes will beat good individual decision-makers over time.

Yes but you’re ignoring the importance of process in saying that. Complex organizations need well designed processes to achieve results effectively. Simply having a process is better than not, I guess. But it’s not enough. And good processes will beat good individual decision-makers over time.

What I was trying to say and did a poor job of it was...even a perfectly designed process is only as good as the people using it. ABSOLUTELY you need the best process possible NOT saying you don't but in something as subjective as a Football evaluation of a high school player its ultimately about the ability of the people making the evaluation.
Point being a perfect process wont stop a group of bad evaluators from making bad evaluations. Just my opinion

He’s a Herndon clone. He’s going to eat

I don't think hes much like Herndon, and does have some similarity to Winslow. His game speed shows up on film, hes able to get to to the edge snd out run people. His frame is still growing and may add another inch, and can hold another 25-35 pounds. At 240-245 he would be that flex type like Aaron Hernandez. Arroyo has good hands. Both he and Brantley move well just like WR. Bhrantley body type looks like its going to be similar to Brevin, but its clear we are going after the 6-3 to 6-5 TE, with room to develop into their body, which big upside. Their ranking in high school is a far cry from who they will develop into. With the 6 TE's (Jordan,Mallory, Hodges, Mamarelli, Arroyo, Brantley), this is the most talented the tight end room has ever been/will be at the U. All of them can flex out in the slot, and only Jordan and Mamarelli are also strong in line blockers. The rest are adequate enough, and Mallory and slightly Mamarelli lack the short space mobility and movement, but may be two of the best if you get them run-in the seem or deep corner's.

This is an important point. I haven’t done the research on it but it feels true to me. It’s also ties to a view you and I have been advocating for ages. Go national for top kids or certain need areas where we have needs we can’t fill locally, but do not — I repeat do not — chase sleepers nationally when history proves there are almost always better options nearby. If we don’t know who the local better options are, one possibility is we’re not trying hard enough or just aren’t good enough at evaluations.
Until proven otherwise, both of these are possibilities. It's not like we still have Butch Davis making the evals.

Advertisement
It’s seems to me unlike the last staff who seemed to rely on field and hickson, lashlee, justice and likens are willing to work recruiting hard

I get the feeling they are about to put the Defensive coaches into shame with recruiting but that’s not saying much.

What I was trying to say and did a poor job of it was...even a perfectly designed process is only as good as the people using it. ABSOLUTELY you need the best process possible NOT saying you don't but in something as subjective as a Football evaluation of a high school player its ultimately about the ability of the people making the evaluation.
Point being a perfect process wont stop a group of bad evaluators from making bad evaluations. Just my opinion
We’re aligned. A bad process will lead to bad results. A good process will still fail without competent people. You need both.

Advertisement
Back