The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

Whats more pathetic, having nearly 20,000 posts on a rival school's board? Or the people like @RiDLer80 who rush to defend someone like that? Gotta be a push, everyone gets their bets back.

Again, totally fine that you like the Yankees and the Red Sox. Or Barca and Real Madrid.
Care to make an argument as to why this is a home run hire? One good offense lead in his career and everybody's jumping for joy because he's associated with Saban.

Applewhite was more polarizing on this board and he had a better history of coordinating offenses and being at the forefront of creative play calling.

Advertisement
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.

Oh My Lord

Care to make an argument as to why this is a home run hire? One good offense lead in his career and everybody's jumping for joy because he's associated with Saban.

Applewhite was more polarizing on this board and he had a better history of coordinating offenses and being at the forefront of creative play calling.

No, I don't care to, but I appreciate the invitation. Didn't realize I was required to write down in stone today my reaction.

I wasn't attacking the substance of the OP, just his credibility. Why do you defend him so? What compels you to do that?

And its clearly about his defense as you're only responding to my posts when there are others debating his substance.

"Aye mane I grew up in Durham but couldnt get in, went to school at Chapel Hill. I root for both UNC and Duke basketball, you can't tell a grown man whom to root for"

People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:

Scoring Offense:

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:

Scoring Offense:

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.

SIAP...But are you really still using these ancient type non-adjusted for tempo statistics?

2015 6/4
2016 60/39
2017 75/43

Those are his FEI/SP rankings of his ark offenses...And in '17 the Ark fell apart on a lot of levels and had injuries...Also realize he was calling plays for a HC that is 100% slow tempo smash mouth and always will be. Get a clue man. "total offense" lol...

Last edited:
No, I don't care to, but I appreciate the invitation. Didn't realize I was required to write down in stone today my reaction.

I wasn't attacking the substance of the OP, just his credibility. Why do you defend him so? What compels you to do that?

And its clearly about his defense as you're only responding to my posts when there are others debating his substance.

"Aye mane I grew up in Durham but couldnt get in, went to school at Chapel Hill. I root for both UNC and Duke basketball, you can't tell a grown man whom to root for"
I'm not defending him. I agree with him. Why are you monitoring what I do so closely?

And I responded to your post because you tagged me. I have multiple posts in the other Dan Enos thread addressing other posters. You just happen to be the only one in this thread that tagged me.

Advertisement
Of course, because Penos was Manny's first choice.

I've been saying whoever we got would be the one Manny was after the whole time. That said, we ended up with better than I expected. The schoold pick Manny and that, more than anything determined the staff. Since my expectations were so low, I am a little excited. He was QB coach at Alabama, NOT another hire form frigging Louisiana Tech of Temple. Say what you want, this guy at least coached the 1st pick in next year's draft. Last guy to do that here was Earl Morral, RIP.

During his three years at Arkansas, Enos oversaw an offense that produced some of the most impressive seasons in Razorback history. Arkansas was one of two FBS programs with a 3,000-yard passer and 1,300-yard rusher in both 2015 and 2016, featuring a different quarterback and different running back carrying the load in each season. He also had a 3,000-yard passer and 1,000-yard rusher in his final season at Central Michigan in 2014.

Enos tutored both Brandon Allen (2015) and Austin Allen (2016) to 3,000-yard passing seasons, as the brothers became just the third and fourth players in program history to reach that number through the air. Brandon threw for 3,440 yards and 30 touchdowns as a senior in 2015 while leading the nation in quarterback efficiency. Austin then led the SEC in 2016 with 3,430 yards and was second in the league in touchdowns with 25. Enos had five offensive players selected in the 2016 NFL Draft, tied for the second-most nationally.

Despite seeing two 1,000-yard rushers move on to the NFL following the 2015 season, Enos also turned another first-time starter in running back Rawleigh Williams III into a First Team All-SEC selection. Williams led the SEC regular-season in rushing while his 1,360 yards on the year were bolstered by seven 100-yard performances.

Total offense:

Scoring Offense:

Total Offenss:

Scoring Offense:

God help us all.

I disagree Enos is a bad hire. I think very good.

I will say though, you are early on the nickname if this goes badly.

+1.

Clever.

Total offense:

Scoring Offense:

Total Offenss:

Scoring Offense:

God help us all.
Dude, did somebody **** in your cereal again. Get a life.

Advertisement
Look up Doug Nussmeier and Jim McElwain after they left Alabama, and tell me how well that worked out.

Straw man argument....those guys left to become HC's.....

Enos is a slight lateral move that keeps him doing what he's specialized at doing..... QB/OC.

Bama wanted him as OC..... UGA wanted him as OC.....

Bama is #1/2 and UGA is #3-5 in the country....

UM is under 25 in rank.....the fact we got this guy was a huge win....

If you can show us a better AVAILABLE OC... let's hear it, otherwise stop whining.

Arkansas played Alabama, LSU, and Auburn every year.... Not to mention the cross over SEC teams with elite defenses. Top 50 total offense is pretty stout against this level of competition when you compare the offensive personnel Enos had to work with.

I'm not defending him. I agree with him. Why are you monitoring what I do so closely?

And I responded to your post because you tagged me. I have multiple posts in the other Dan Enos thread addressing other posters. You just happen to be the only one in this thread that tagged me.

Right. I already addressed this argument. You're being disingenuous. If it was truly about agreeing with him, you would've chosen other posts to downvote and react negatively to, which prompted my tag. But, point taken as to why you are responding directly to me now.

No where in any of my posts did I say I agreed with him or not. For all you know, I may very well think this hire sucks.

I'm not monitoring you closely at all, or even remotely; you're just the only one who has downvoted all of these non substantive posts. An observation isn't monitoring.

Advertisement
Straw man argument....those guys left to become HC's.....

McElwain did. Nussmeier did not. He went to Michigan to be an offensive coordinator.

Bama wanted him as OC..... UGA wanted him as OC.....

Bama is #1/2 and UGA is #3-5 in the country....

UM is under 25 in rank.....the fact we got this guy was a huge win....

If you can show us a better AVAILABLE OC... let's hear it, otherwise stop whining.

The entire point of this thread was "show me something besides Bama and UGA wanted him." The OP put numbers down that paint a pretty bleak picture. That's an objective fact.

As for "show us a better available OC," I'd say that Harrell and Yost would have been better choices, implemented the spread offense that Manny promised, and would have accepted if offered.

Arkansas played Alabama, LSU, and Auburn every year.... Not to mention the cross over SEC teams with elite defenses. Top 50 total offense is pretty stout against this level of competition when you compare the personnel Arkansas had to work with.

It doesn't explain his awful numbers at Central Michigan. And he took over a CMU team that went 12-2 and finished the season ranked #24 (and proceeded to go 3-9 in back to back seasons), so you can't make the argument that he inherited a bare cupboard.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back