The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

At first I was gonna say something about your lack of posts on this site. Then I saw your handle......

Keep on keepin on brotha.

Thanks for the permission.

Since credibility is vetted so thoroughly here, why do we pay any attention to folks who says they're both a Gator fan and a Hurricanes fan?

"You know, I grew up in New York, so the Yankees are my team, but I went to school in Boston so I'm a huge Red Sox fan."

Advertisement
I made a thread inviting anyone who likes the hire to present an argument based on his production as a football coach so there can be a discussion.

Would you like to attempt to present one, or just bltch in this thread like a twizzler-wristed sissy?

No, actually you made some corny middle school nickname up and then stated why you didn't like him. I'm also not "*****ing", just calling you out for your sad attempt to be "that guy".

So what is the point YOU are trying to make, bud? We have a new HC who canned the entire offensive staff due to the their putrid performance last season. He makes an OC hire today that is being widely lauded around the nation. We desperately need help in the QB room and he is a proven QB whisperer. Both Bama and UGA (two of the nation's best teams from the last half decade) wanted him as OC. There is zero question that the mandate to any OC Manny brought in was to open up the offense and not use something archaic like CMR was. But because he didn't have great offensive stats when he was HC at Central Michigan a half decade ago means the hire sucks, we should all be b-tching and crying like you are, and people should fire up a gofundme for "Fire Manny" banners?!?

The point is that the only support for this move is "Alabama and Georgia wanted him," which is entirely subjective. The objective numbers don't bear out that this guy is all that great as a coordinator.

What the fvck is your point? We should just be b-tching to b-itch? His time in Central Michigan as an HC means he can't be good as an OC here? Is it too much to ask to be excited about all the change and stay optimistic that the pieces will come together and click? WTF is the point of spitting a bunch of negativity and venom like you are today?

Central Michigan wasn't his only data points. He also included data from Arkansas. The point is that we were promised something - exciting, up-tempo, stretch the field - and this is not that.

You can be excited. Many people are on the board presenting threads and posts as to why they like the hire.

I made one as to why I do not. If you are a sensitive guy (clearly) and it is bothering you to hear a different viewpoint, maybe don’t read the thread.
I'm not a sensitive guy, I'm tired of the people here who want to do nothing but criticize and b-tch about everything that goes on with this program.

So what is the point YOU are trying to make, bud? We have a new HC who canned the entire offensive staff due to the their putrid performance last season. He makes an OC hire today that is being widely lauded around the nation. We desperately need help in the QB room and he is a proven QB whisperer. Both Bama and UGA (two of the nation's best teams from the last half decade) wanted him as OC. There is zero question that the mandate to any OC Manny brought in was to open up the offense and not use something archaic like CMR was. But because he didn't have great offensive stats when he was HC at Central Michigan a half decade ago means the hire sucks, we should all be b-tching and crying like you are, and people should fire up a gofundme for "Fire Manny" banners?!?

What the fvck is your point? We should just be b-tching to b-itch? His time in Central Michigan as an HC means he can't be good as an OC here? Is it too much to ask to be excited about all the change and stay optimistic that the pieces will come together and click? WTF is the point of spitting a bunch of negativity and venom like you are today?

Dude, stop addressing this nitwit. He can't even decide on a team.

Advertisement
Thanks for the permission.

Since credibility is vetted so thoroughly here, why do we pay any attention to folks who says they're both a Gator fan and a Hurricanes fan?

"You know, I grew up in New York, so the Yankees are my team, but I went to school in Boston so I'm a huge Red Sox fan."
Actually didn’t know he admitted to being a gator. If true that’s a reason to catch a band

James Coley S&P ranking at miami:
2013 - 5
2014 - 34
2015 - 49

Dan Enos S&P ranking at Arkansas:
2015 - 4
2016 - 39
2017 - 43

id think it should be easier to offense at miami, but i guess S&P is supposed to take stuff like competition into consideration anyway?

difference is Enos will have a much better defense to work with, and the talent level really shouldnt ever drop off too much like it can at arkansas

It takes into account competition, but it doesn't take into account offensive talent. Enos will have more talent here than at Arkansas. I'm expecting a big jump in our offensive output from Richt to Enos. He might not get us to the level we need to win championships, but shieeeet I'm just trying to win the coastal a few years in a row. I think Diaz/Enos can stabilize this program and turn us in to a Washington type program, not elite, but a respectable 10 or so wins a year program that competes for conference championships and plays in one of the big bowl games.

The point is that the only support for this move is "Alabama and Georgia wanted him," which is entirely subjective. The objective numbers don't bear out that this guy is all that great as a coordinator.

Central Michigan wasn't his only data points. He also included data from Arkansas. The point is that we were promised something - exciting, up-tempo, stretch the field - and this is not that.
Yeah, and his Arkansas data point when adjusted for competition reflects that when he was the OC at Arkansas he had the #4 offense in the country his first year. That was the year he had some legit playmakers to work with on offense; you know, like Miami usually does.

Advertisement
First:
Neither OC Applewhite or OC fedora was fired. They were fired as HCs which is a totally different jobs.

Second:
YES both those OCs put up better numbers than our new OC... in fact, it’s why they were offered HC gigs.

Fourth:
If a system can work without talent, what’ll it do WITH talent?

and lets not act like Enos wasnt basically fired from CMU anyway.

Total offense isn't really a metric of substance.

Give me efficiency stats
That is just one of the many faults in the OPs post. But when people have a hate on for something I figure just let them keep talking and they will more and more sound like idiots.

The guy was an integral part of an Offensive Staff that produced the following:

"Alabama's passing offense averaged 323 yards per game, which ranked No. 6 in the country in 2018. The Crimson Tide threw for 4,854 yards with 52 touchdowns against just eight interceptions. "

If we manage anything near that level of offensive production last year with our defense, we're undefeated going into the ACCCG.

I'm excited.

When our entire offense is basically just made up of 5* players, we will def. get that level of production. I can't wait for that recruiting day!

Advertisement
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2012: 64th
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.
Wow your comments are strong. Most of cis enamored with hire. You better have a strong pair of marbles if you continue to post negative things about hire. I agree with your assessment of Enos.

Actually didn’t know he admitted to being a gator. If true that’s a reason to catch a band

Yeah if you have time, like he does, to sift through 19,160+ posts, he admits it several times, uses the 1st person plural to refer to himself and Gator Nation in the collective. He's one of these kids who went to a UiF for undergrad, and still roots for the 'Canes and his alma mater.

I'm just familiar because I've lurked here since 2011 (yes I waited two years before creating an account). Dude is the worst part about this site and the WEZ.

Scoring offense and total offense aren’t reflecting a good hire?

“Dig deeper, bro. How was his offense on night games during a full moon? Tell me that stat stop cherry picking.”

Advertisement
Has anyone actually watched the games he called yet? I’m on Game 4 so far.

It’s not Air Raid, Sean Mcvay, Sean Payton or Andy Reid, but even at Arkansas, under a guy who explicitly asked to establish a run game, it wasn’t the slow-plodding style some are describing. It’s some variant of Bruce Arians’ vertical attack. There’s motion, lol. Tons of crossing routes. Multiple TEs used both inline and in space. TEs going downfield. Better combination routes than we’ve run in the last three years (the lowest bar possible), etc. He does a good amount of layered routes or High-Low. ill be curious to see how he adjusts the run game to our OL, which will be significantly different. And, that was 3 years ago. I’m guessing he’s added more to it now.

I’m not for or against this guy yet. I gotta watch more games and listen to what he claims he wants to do (if people ask him the right questions). Then gotta see what he does with our players, to be fair. But, while anyone who wanted a totally different style of attack has a basis for a gripe, let’s call the offense what it is, at least.

The #1 thing he has going for him is the inevitable bounce of watching the players play in a more modern system than what we’ve watched recently. So, there’s that. I’ll get more into the details of the game reviews later or on @Lance Roffers likely thread analyzing Enos.

Has anyone actually watched the games he called yet? I’m on Game 4 so far. It’s not Air Raid, Sean Mcvay, Sean Payton or Andy a Reid, but even at Arkansas under a guy who explicitly asked to establish a run game, it wasn’t the slow-plodding style some are describing. It’s some variant of Bruce Arians’ vertical attack. There’s motion, lol. Tons of crossing routes. Multiple TEs used both online and in space. TEs going downfield. Better combination routes than we’ve run in the last three years (the lowest bar possible), etc. ill be curious to see how he adjusts the run game to our OL, which will be significantly different. And, that was 3 years ago. I’m guessing he’s added more to it now.

I’m not for or against this guy yet. I gotta watch more games and listen to what he claims he wants to do (if people ask him the right questions). But, while anyone who wanted a totally different style of attack has a basis to gripe, let’s call the offense what it is, at least.

The #1 thing he has going for him is the inevitable bounce of watching the players play in a more modern system than what we’ve watched recently. So, there’s that. I’ll get more into the details of the game reviews later or on @Lance Roffers likely thread analyzing Enos.

He apparently changed Alabama's passing attack to what he saw this year and was in on revamping that offense as whole. It wasn't uptempo spread full throttle because Saban would never allow it but it had plenty of spread concepts and if Manny says go uptempo, I don't think Enos would have a problem doing it.

This will be a great hire if he produces and a bad hire if he doesn’t.

Parsing stats from the past doesn’t mean much to me. There’s good and there’s bad and plenty in between.

It’s basically a choice and OP has chosen to focus on some real, though negative stats..others have chosen to focus on the positive.

It’s the same as waking up in the morning and having a positive attitude or deciding to be an all-day bltch. In the end, all that matters is what you produce.

Yeah if you have time, like he does, to sift through 19,160+ posts, he admits it several times, uses the 1st person plural to refer to himself and Gator Nation in the collective. He's one of these kids who went to a UiF for undergrad, and still roots for the 'Canes and his alma mater.

I'm just familiar because I've lurked here since 2011 (yes I waited two years before creating an account). Dude is the worst part about this site and the WEZ.
I’m a little disappointed in our guy here.

Advertisement
Back