The safety position

Advertisement
I'm talking safety rotation only! You think we'll play the right players at safety this year?
Probably not, with 3 seniors on board! but, we got new coaches with fresh eyes and a new direction. When they watch last years tape that might eliminate carter but trob might think he can coach up carter and hall. Bubba just needs 2 work on his tackling form.

Overcrowded room was exactly why I had no issue with Bolden declaring early if he did, but of course he didn't lol...

With that said, everything will come down to if Manny allows TRob total autonomy of the secondary, if he does then you'll see significant changes in pt amongst the S's & CB's, if Manny maintains the stranglehold over the depth chart expect more of the same.

But, with how loaded the Safety room is, there should never be a shortage of snaps to go around.

I don't expect Keyshawn Washington to play much, but Jalen Harrell, Brian Balom, Tae Williams (if healthy) should be getting 2nd team reps as the backups in a 3 man rotation.

Amari Carter needs to be moved to Weakside Backer & James Williams due to the insane amount of depth at S should be playing at Rover & LB in certain sub-packages. You can get real creative with JW & have him stunt Blitzing off the Edge as a Standup backer lined up right next to Harvey pre snap & have him loop in on the inside of the OT while Harvey Zags out & that mf'er won't know who to take first.

Harrell could probably play Striker too, but I think the bulk of the those snaps will go to Frierson.

However it's divided up, we have essentially 3 Safeties coaches on staff with TRob, Bob Shoop & Ishmael Aristide. They better figure something out & get the best players on the field. We have plenty of speed & Ballhawks in the back, there should be no confusion about the rotation.

Last edited:
Overcrowded room was exactly why I had no issue with Bolden declaring early...

With that said, everything will come down to if Manny allows TRob total autonomy of the secondary, if he does then you'll see significant changes in pt amongst the S's & CB's, if Manny maintains the stranglehold over the depth chart expect more of the same.

But, with how loaded the Safety room is, there should never be a shortage of snaps to go around.

I don't expect Keyshawn Washington to play much, but Jalen Harrell, Brian Balom, Tae Williams (if healthy) should be getting 2nd team reps as the backups in a 3 man rotation.

Amari Carter needs to be moved to Weakside Backer & James Williams due to the insane amount of depth at S should be playing at Rover & LB in certain sub-packages. You can get real creative with JW & have him stunt Blitzing off the Edge as a Standup backer lined up right next to Harvey pre snap & have him loop in on the inside of the OT while Harvey Zags out & that mf'er won't know who to take first.

Harrell could probably play Striker too, but I think the bulk of the those snaps will go to Frierson.

However it's divided up, we have essentially 3 Safeties coaches on staff with TRob, Bob Shoop & Ishmael Aristide. They better figure something out & get the best players on the field. We have plenty of speed & Ballhawks in the back, there should be no confusion about the rotation.
Hey lce, i agree with everything but woth bama looming first game I'm gonna assume its gonna be an upper class starting unit on both sides of the ball. Kicker might be only underclassmen starting unless king can't go and maybe linebacker with mccloud at defensive end!!

Has Manny ever had a versatile guy like JW in the backend of the defense? He showed a little creativity in the front 7 with how they moved Greg around, but I’m curious to see what he does with JW... Good problem to have as a DC

Advertisement
This is my take Bolden and Gurvan will start, everyone likes new toys but I think Gurvan will improve under our new secondary coach, Carter will play he’s a senior, Avante will see the field a lot, he’ll be used in nickel situations and obvious pass situations, JW is the Joker here imo I’d expect to see him more on special teams but as the season goes on he’ll be in the rotation, but he’s so good I definitely see him on the field this year, who’s snaps is it going to be?

Exactly what EL said. If Carter is still 1st team at the end of Spring we know what’s up. I really hope Manny looks in the mirror and changes how he views upperclassmen who don’t produce in games but look good in practice.

Hey lce, i agree with everything but woth bama looming first game I'm gonna assume its gonna be an upper class starting unit on both sides of the ball. Kicker might be only underclassmen starting unless king can't go and maybe linebacker with mccloud at defensive end!!
It probably will be, but regardless of the Bama game, the young guys better get reps & not just garbage time either...

If not, we'll see the dark side of the Portal.

Advertisement
It probably will be, but regardless of the Bama game, the young guys better get reps & not just garbage time either...

If not, we'll see the dark side of the Portal.
I wanted that to happen last year! If so, i would be ok with tvd playing if king can't go. But we will see i think the trenches will decide the bama game. I think with the losses to nfl, we have a poor man's(🤔😳👀)comparable talent in the skill area the trenches is where they blungeon us in the 2nd half of our game.

Overcrowded room was exactly why I had no issue with Bolden declaring early if he did, but of course he didn't lol...

James Williams should be used this year exactly how Derwin James was used his freshman year. And for those of y’all who don’t remember, he got a lot of burn as a true edge player, as well as plenty as a range safety and box safety. Let a unicorn be a unicorn.

On the other hand, you could always start Carter so that after a couple minutes you'll have 1 guy less eligible to play. Simplifies things.
Hopefully, the Canes will move Carter to grad assistant, LB or the bench. If the Canes decide to ignore the game film from the last few seasons and play Carter at safety, then just let Carter get his routine missed tackle and his obligatory targeting call in the first defensive series of the game, so that the Canes can get down to business for the rest of the game and start playing lock down defense with Williams, Bolden, Balom, Hall and Avante (some true talented safeties) in the game

Advertisement
The staff being so **** secretive with his injury details definitely isn't encouraging
When will you guys accept that the school and staff can’t discuss specific injuries without the player’s permission. And even if they get that permission it is of no benefit to try to remember who gave permission and who didn’t, and it’s better to protect the school to just take a blanket approach of no specific.

I’ll tell you this: If we play an 86th year senior who runs like he’s trying to hold in diarrhea over these 5 star bucks to reward him for coming back and because the position requires too much thought, then we’re going to get nothing but 3 star guys.

These elite blue chip guys don’t want languish behind grandpa when they know he can’t play a lick. it’s going to interesting if we start to see a pivot in Manure’s approach to the safety position because he hates playing youth there.

Advertisement
I'm sure your long detailed response has many valid points in it. However, I may point out to you that numerous insiders around here have pointed out that there has been a history of favoritism shown towards starting older players. There have also been tidbits shared about how older players aren't held accountable when they underperform. But I do agree that Manny likely isn't purposely sabotaging his own team.
Some of the coach rah rah guys go full blown CISimp when it comes to analyzing playing time. They invariably resort to the “Manny isn’t playing upperclassmen because he wants the team to fail” absurd argument. No ****. No coach does that.

But that’s not the analysis. The analysis centers around whether he’s playing guys who aren’t as talented or don’t have the potential of the guys behind them. Of course he has. He’s done it regularly and so have most other coaches because, no matter how hard the coach cheerleaders try to convince you that coaches are infallible and that they’re conducting science experiments, they’re not.

They make personnel mistakes all the time for a plethora of reasons—none of which are they want to play inferior players because they like to suck. The best coaches tend to make less personnel errors either in selecting guys to play here or choosing the guys who should play once they’re here.

I get the feeling this is going to be the most debated position all season.

You have two starting seniors (Bolden and Hall) with NFL aspirations who want to play every snap. You have a super-senior (Carter) who has played since he got here. Then you have two freak shows (Avantae and JW) who are going to demand playing time and likely won't react well if they are sitting behind underperforming players. Finally, you've got two guys (Kam and Balom) who should be coach's favorites and will be practicing in spring.

Very interested to see how this plays out.
2 of them will be safeties and 5 will be moved to striker

Yeah! Mullet is obviously biased towards playing less-talented kids that have been at Florida for longer, and he's holding back Five-Star Lingard.
Was he biased against 3 star Trask when was set on playing Franks over him until Frank’s got hurt? Or do coaches play the wrong guys sometimes for a multitude of reasons?

Sometimes, they’re biased, and it’s not even a conscious thing. Bosses often do the same **** where they “play” inferior workers over others simply because they like them more. Coaches do the same ****.

Advertisement
Back