The safety position

Advertisement
I keep saying there’s going to be issues if manny keeps rolling guys out there that keep ******* up. Young guys were frustrated and I can’t say that I blame them.
That’s what the coach cheerleaders don’t get. They think this is the 80s where dudes will stick around for 5 years waiting to play. You can’t bring in guys like JW and Avantae and expect them to sit around patiently for 2 years playing behind stiffs.

I’m tired of us always being that program where 4 and 5 stars are never “ready” to play as freshmans while those same guys are “ready” at places like Alabaga and Clemson and Ohio Taint.

And when you see constant drops it influences your opinion too. There’s nothing irrational about fans being sick of Pope and Wiggins eating 70+ reps per game.
I never said it was. It's the most damning criticism of those two is exactly my point.

Advertisement
I never said it was. It's the most damning criticism of those two is exactly my point.
Your point in this thread appears to be that fans are irrational in their criticism and that coaches know best. Coaches make lots of mistakes, and trotting those two out there for 70+ snaps every game was another example.

Your point in this thread appears to be that fans are irrational in their criticism and that coaches know best. Coaches make lots of mistakes, and trotting those two out there for 70+ snaps every game was another example.
Fans are irrational in their criticism. The ratio of armchair football geniuses to actual people with football IQ is a million to one. Personally, I don't have a mixed opinion on the two. I've seen too many drops to favor playing the duo over other receivers. But I can understand how someone might see the numbers and consider them productive. Harley was in the same boat until mid 2020 when all of a sudden he showed his value at key times.

We have a stable of younger receivers who may be able to make a clutch catch that helps at a key point. Get them on the field and find out.

Fans are irrational in their criticism. The ratio of armchair football geniuses to actual people with football IQ is a million to one. Personally, I don't have a mixed opinion on the two. I've seen too many drops to favor playing the duo over other receivers. But I can understand how someone might see the numbers and consider them productive. Harley was in the same boat until mid 2020 when all of a sudden he showed his value at key times.

We have a stable of younger receivers who may be able to make a clutch catch that helps at a key point. Get them on the field and find out.
Some fans are irrational, and some aren’t. That’s why it’s usually best to discuss specifics instead of falling back to the “fans don’t know ****” line of dialog because it’s simply not true. Often, the fans are dead on accurate about the coaches fcking up.

The sooner the coach cheerleaders realize that football is a pretty simple game and astute fans don’t need Carl Sagan to explain what we’re seeing, the better of places like this will be.

Some fans are irrational, and some aren’t. That’s why it’s usually best to discuss specifics instead of falling back to the “fans don’t know ****” line of dialog because it’s simply not true. Often, the fans are dead on accurate about the coaches fcking up.

The sooner the coach cheerleaders realize that football is a pretty simple game and astute fans don’t need Carl Sagan to explain what we’re seeing, the better of places like this will be.
The level of football knowledge between the average fan and regular posters here is vast. That's one reason why this is the best CFB site around. Even our dumbasses are usually a tad smarter than most other team's fans.

Anyone who fully believes either success or failure is guaranteed is probably delusional. But just like we see things that seem so painfully obvious like Rosier starting over the others was the road to failure, we're also not privy to inside information like the fact that the other quarterbacks were immature as we found out when Jarren started and played stoned.

I have serious doubts about Manny, but if, IF, he can surround himself with the right people, we may enjoy some level of success. Whether that's enough to win it all is doubtful, in my opinion.

Advertisement
I'm going to say the same thing I've been saying since the day he stepped on campus 10 years ago....

Carter is not a safety. Period. Call him a light linebacker, call him a guy who should be tried at the striker position. Just don't call him a safety, he's horrible in space and it doesn't suit his skill set.

Get homeboy closer to the line of scrimmage.

Was he biased against 3 star Trask when was set on playing Franks over him until Frank’s got hurt? Or do coaches play the wrong guys sometimes for a multitude of reasons?

Sometimes, they’re biased, and it’s not even a conscious thing. Bosses often do the same **** where they “play” inferior workers over others simply because they like them more. Coaches do the same ****.

I hear you. I was trying to be sarcastic though.

The debate rages on.

Advertisement
I'm going to say the same thing I've been saying since the day he stepped on campus 10 years ago....

Carter is not a safety. Period. Call him a light linebacker, call him a guy who should be tried at the striker position. Just don't call him a safety, he's horrible in space and it doesn't suit his skill set.

Get homeboy closer to the line of scrimmage.
And if he sticks in the league I guarantee you it won’t be at safety.

I said the same thing about Ray Ray Armstrong.

They need to do what they did with Mcloud although not sure he’ll be anything more than just a serviceable college DE. We’re finally realized he has no shot as an LB. He wouldn’t even play at bama even if they were up 70-0 in the fourth.

And if he sticks in the league I guarantee you it won’t be at safety.

I said the same thing about Ray Ray Armstrong.

They need to do what they did with Mcloud although not sure he’ll be anything more than just a serviceable college DE. We’re finally realized he has no shot as an LB. He wouldn’t even play at bama even if they were up 70-0 in the fourth.

You're talking to the guy who had arguments with mods on this board about Ray Ray Armstrong back when he was still at UM. I said from his days at Sanford, before he even stepped foot on Miami campus, that he was a linebacker all the way.

The same thing applies to Carter. He's not a safety.

Advertisement
Overcrowded room was exactly why I had no issue with Bolden declaring early if he did, but of course he didn't lol...

With that said, everything will come down to if Manny allows TRob total autonomy of the secondary, if he does then you'll see significant changes in pt amongst the S's & CB's, if Manny maintains the stranglehold over the depth chart expect more of the same.

But, with how loaded the Safety room is, there should never be a shortage of snaps to go around.

I don't expect Keyshawn Washington to play much, but Jalen Harrell, Brian Balom, Tae Williams (if healthy) should be getting 2nd team reps as the backups in a 3 man rotation.

Amari Carter needs to be moved to Weakside Backer & James Williams due to the insane amount of depth at S should be playing at Rover & LB in certain sub-packages. You can get real creative with JW & have him stunt Blitzing off the Edge as a Standup backer lined up right next to Harvey pre snap & have him loop in on the inside of the OT while Harvey Zags out & that mf'er won't know who to take first.

Harrell could probably play Striker too, but I think the bulk of the those snaps will go to Frierson.

However it's divided up, we have essentially 3 Safeties coaches on staff with TRob, Bob Shoop & Ishmael Aristide. They better figure something out & get the best players on the field. We have plenty of speed & Ballhawks in the back, there should be no confusion about the rotation.

Did you leave Kam out on purpose?

I agree need to just get the talent on the field and get creative like when Manny had Carter lining up at NT and using Greg all over the dline. Get creative. Also, really need to convince some of the young guys to chill or temper expectations at least for a season. Carter, Hall and Bubba are all gone next year, should be plenty of snaps to go around in 2022.

I get the feeling this is going to be the most debated position all season.

You have two starting seniors (Bolden and Hall) with NFL aspirations who want to play every snap. You have a super-senior (Carter) who has played since he got here. Then you have two freak shows (Avantae and JW) who are going to demand playing time and likely won't react well if they are sitting behind underperforming players. Finally, you've got two guys (Kam and Balom) who should be coach's favorites and will be practicing in spring.

Very interested to see how this plays out.
You can solve the Carter dilemma by letting him start and asking him to blitz the QB on every play. He will be out of the game in 3 plays and he might take the other teams QB with him.

I know that the current guy in charge went 6-7 and lost to FIU in his first year, then got worked at home by a UNC team that hung 60 on us the following. That’s all I need to know that he isn’t even close to being beyond reproach.

Was he biased against 3 star Trask when was set on playing Franks over him until Frank’s got hurt? Or do coaches play the wrong guys sometimes for a multitude of reasons?

Sometimes, they’re biased, and it’s not even a conscious thing. Bosses often do the same **** where they “play” inferior workers over others simply because they like them more. Coaches do the same ****.
This is a great example. Trask wouldn't have ever seen the field had it not been for an injury.

Fans aren't invested in the kids personal lives or influenced by the relationships they have with the coaches. That allows us to share opinions based on what we see on the field.

I will never forget Stroud starting Patchan over GR15 for multiple games. He used the injury as his excuse but he said in an interview before the season how close he had come to Patchan and his family. I knew right then we were getting a heavy dose of mediocre off the edge.

Advertisement
Back