The safety position after spring

The glass half empty version is Bolden isn't on the field (and neither is Balom), Hall is a liability in coverage, Tae (angles, discipline), Kinchens (coverage) and Williams (tackling, discipline) aren't ready. Good safety play isn't easy to come by in CFB but let's not tout a group that frankly has A LOT still to prove.
Interesting take.

What is your glass is half full view?

Advertisement
The glass half empty version is Bolden isn't on the field (and neither is Balom), Hall is a liability in coverage, Tae (angles, discipline), Kinchens (coverage) and Williams (tackling, discipline) aren't ready. Good safety play isn't easy to come by in CFB but let's not tout a group that frankly has A LOT still to prove.
That fits your narrative, but you failed to mention the positives and the good vibes about those said players.

What you failed to mention was ALL of those players got better this spring. They ALL received better coaching. They ALL are developing at a satisfactory pace.

They ALL will ball out

Interesting take.

What is your glass is half full view?
Bolden has the talent to be one of the top safeties in the nation. Hall looks (a bit) faster than 2020 where he was often late in run support as an alley player. Maybe he can improve his positional awareness in coverage. Tae is explosive and aggressive and has lots of time to fine tune his skillset. Kinchens will never be a man cover guy but his tackling issues from HS haven't been evident so maybe he can rotate in. Balom I liked a lot as a prospect and wouldn't surprise me if he was the 2nd best guy. JW is a freak and has legit man cover skills from what I've seen. At worst he's a special teams stud but if he becomes a reliable tackler - which there's no physical reason why he can't - he's a guy you want on the field. He just doesn't play with any refinement - soft tackle attempts, doesn't square guys up in space, goes for hockey hits over form tackles. Tae does the hockey hit thing too. That's the problem with relying on young players regardless of their crootin status.

It could go either way with these dudes. I'm just a pessimist by nature.

That should be a strong duo (Bubba/Gurvan) but I can't help to look forward to the Williams and Williams tandem if they can play to their rankings.
That's only natural but we shouldn't sleep on the Bolden/Hall duo. I believe Hall is on the verge of putting it all together and I would expect for Bolden to take the next step. The upgrade in coaching on defense will be the ultimate difference maker here and so far it has been invaluable especially to a player like Hall. We have an experienced and physical duo who have both made strides in coverage and the mental part of the game. The fact that these two will be supported by kids like Avantae Williams, Kam Kinchens, James Williams and Brian Balom only underscores how deep we are at Safety. The depth is young but extremely talented and by all accounts hungry. Can't wait to see these kids play.

I’m more concerned with Flagg at M than I am Smith at W. Flagg has the instincts but idk if he has the athleticism to get in position to make the play.
I like Flagg and despite his inherent limitations I truly believe that he can have a successful college career here at UM. Having said that, I would be a fool if I wasn't a bit concerned about the Mike LB position. I do not believe Flagg is ready just yet. He needs seasoning and that only comes with more playing time which he will invariably get this year. However, it would be preferable if Flagg got that PT as a backup. A portal transfer for the Mike LB position this season would be ideal. This squad has a lot of pieces in place to potentially make a run at an 11 win season and a NY6 Bowl. Let's make the most of it.

Regarding Keontra Smith at Will LB, I can understand some being somewhat concerned because of the relative lack of experience and the position switch. I am not among this group. Smith to me just seems like a natural football player overall and despite the small sample size in reps for him at Will, he looked very natural there. Nothing like a young kid with a deer in the headlights type reaction. Not only is Smith comfortable at his new spot but he plays with confidence and aggression. Smith brings some much needed speed, lateral quickness and range to the position. Lastly, he is able to read keys and formations to process quickly and decisively. He just needs to play. I would expect Smith to continue to improve as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hall isn’t a bum. He flashed his sophomore year
Hall is ******* trash. Total bust. Anyone who can’t see this is just a homer.

Avantae is going to be a good one. I am really excited about him. He was everywhere in the spring game. Kid may have the “it” factor as long as he works.

Avantae is going to be a good one. I am really excited about him. He was everywhere in the spring game. Kid may have the “it” factor as long as he works.

Definitely don’t know what you watching

WTF. I understand some disappointment, but calling him trash is crazy. He's a two-year starter (three-year in 2021 season) who flashed as a sophomore and hasn't taken that next step. We've had plenty of examples over the years of guys who put it all together later in their career.

Advertisement
WTF. I understand some disappointment, but calling him trash is crazy. He's a two-year starter (three-year in 2021 season) who flashed as a sophomore and hasn't taken that next step. We've had plenty of examples over the years of guys who put it all together later in their career.
Trash.

Advertisement
Back