The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Advertisement
I get it. You want to continue to repeat the oversimplification phrases.

"The BOT doesn't care".

"Shalala killed UM football".

"Shalala destroyed the OB".

You nailed it. 3-3.

I actually think pointing out the BOT doesn’t care about football is a compliment to them, because the alternative is that they do, but yet are the most clueless, incompetent bozos ever assembled in a board room.

Aren't most college programs the minor leagues relative to Bama, Clemson, OSU and sometimes ND and the other SEC schools? What I mean is that 99% of college football programs have decided that they will not invest the type of money it takes to compete with the aforementioned schools. Certain schools will periodically be good despite the lack of comparative funding;
USC and UM because of their recruiting grounds
UT and OU because they have the money and recruiting if they can ever put it together (frankly I don't know why these schools aren't consistently in the top 5).
ND because they have a lure that few other schools have despite the lack of funding
And that's really about it. The rest of college football have washed their hands and we now have a 2 tier system similar to professional baseball. Do the Pirates really compete against the Yankees or do they just play the same sport? Sure Tampa and the Marlins are good from time to time but they lack the resources to compete year in and out.
It's sad to write this but it's obvious as well. And honestly I can't tell a school how to spend its money OR, whether it is more financially lucrative to spend a lot of money, or how much Miami spends.
I explained the same to my friends who are fans of Univ. of Michigan. They were equally unhappy because they keep telling me about 1998.
ND doesn’t lack funding. It has a uniquely rich TV contract.

Aren't most college programs the minor leagues relative to Bama, Clemson, OSU and sometimes ND and the other SEC schools? What I mean is that 99% of college football programs have decided that they will not invest the type of money it takes to compete with the aforementioned schools. Certain schools will periodically be good despite the lack of comparative funding;
USC and UM because of their recruiting grounds
UT and OU because they have the money and recruiting if they can ever put it together (frankly I don't know why these schools aren't consistently in the top 5).
ND because they have a lure that few other schools have despite the lack of funding

Let's only discuss $$$

1. Ignoring this year, since there is no Coastal, we consistently play the same teams on the regular. We play 8 regular season games against ACC opponents. Of those 8 games, 6 are against teams in the Coastal, 1 is against FSU and the other 1 is a floating ACC opponent. We consistently don't play Clemson during the regular season. So essentially 6-7 of these 8 games are against teams that don't spend a lot of $$$$ or at least against teams where we spend more $$$$.

2. Then we have 4 other regular season games. Next year we actually have a game against a team that spends a chit-ton of $$$ but we don't play them on the regular (e.g. Bama). Normally those 4 other games, at least 2-3 games are going to be against cupcakes/subpar opponents who don't spend a lot of money. So essentially 2-3 of these 4 games are against teams that don't spend a lot of $$$$ or at least against teams where we spend more $$$$.

3. So again, since we're only talking about $$$. We average 8-10 games against teams that don't spend a lot of $$$$ or at least against teams where we spend more $$$$. If $$$$ was all that mattered, we should be doing a lot better. We consistently lose to dreck and $$$$ is not the reason. We waste plenty of $$$$ here.

I don't ever expect UM to have the financial resources to compete with the schools you mentioned,

How about the resources to compete for the acc coastal? Can we start there? Mark Richt was the highest paid coach in the acc coastal so don't tell me that Miami is so poor it can't consistently dominate the division. When Miami is reaching the acc championship game every year and losing to Clemson, I'll entertain the "we don't have the resources" pity party.

Advertisement
How about the resources to compete for the acc coastal? Can we start there? Mark Richt was the highest paid coach in the acc coastal so don't tell me that Miami is so poor it can't consistently dominate the division. When Miami is reaching the acc championship game every year and losing to Clemson, I'll entertain the "we don't have the resources" pity party.
The point is not paying one coach the highest amount (PS: he had the role of coach and OC) its how much is being spent on the program as a whole.

We can have Rumph making $250k and ****ting the bed or we can pay Corey Raymond $750k. We can pay our S&C $350-400k and get a good product but that is in comparison to others that paying $600K+. Its the trickle down. We have Vinny Scavo and Bama has 10 people that fill that role. We have a couple analysts and UGA has 5x. We spent $1.5M on recruiting and UGA/Bama spend $5M.

Can we get lucky and outwork/outsmart everyone? Yes for a couple years every once in a while but not long term.

Its Google/Amazon/Walmart vs everyone else. If Google/Amazon/Walmart see someone else having success they just buy the business.

The point is not paying one coach the highest amount (PS: he had the role of coach and OC) its how much is being spent on the program as a whole.

Do you realize what the Coastal spends on salaries? How about the ACC (sans Clemson)? Here is a post from the end of 2019.

PS: he had the role of coach and OC

And Miami was going to give Richt an additional 1.5 mil to hire an OC. Miami would have had the highest paid coach in the acc coastal and what would have been one of the top 10 highest paid coordinators in CFB. You don't need Facebook money to win the ACC coastal consistently.

As previously stated (post below), we spend more financially and have more talent than the dreck in the Coastal. How come we keep losing to them? Besides Clemson, who is really spending money in the ACC?

Advertisement
Do you realize what the Coastal spends on salaries? How about the ACC (sans Clemson)? Here is a post from the end of 2019.

You keep trying to make this about the Coastal.

We are in agreement there is nobody in the Coastal that spends more than us and we SHOULD win 9/10 games every year based upon our **** conference and schedule. We suck at allocating resources which is why these crap Coastal teams beat us.

I'm talking about competing for championships which we will have no opportunity to on a consistent basis like in the past b/c we spend 1/2 what the perennial powers spend.

UGA spends 2x what we spend on recruiting and that obviously doesn't include the massive slush fund for recruits/players. They have 3x the number of staff. Its an arms race and we are the UK ... a once great power with ever shrinking influence.

And Miami was going to give Richt an additional 1.5 mil to hire an OC. Miami would have had the highest paid coach in the acc coastal and what would have been one of the top 10 highest paid coordinators in CFB. You don't need Facebook money to win the ACC coastal consistently.
Not sure how this turned into a Coastal debate.

The point I have been making is we are relegated to competing for a CFP berth once every 5-10 years with the money being spent by other programs.

You keep trying to make this about the Coastal.

We are in agreement there is nobody in the Coastal that spends more than us and we SHOULD win 9/10 games every year based upon our **** conference and schedule.

My bar isn't winning the Coastal. I want more. Much more.

My point is that we have a bunch of potatoes running athletics. It doesn't matter what we spend, how much talent we have or who our competition is yearly, because we constantly fail to hit low bars.

This is why I am not concerned with teams we don't play yearly. I am not concerned with what Bama and Clemson spends/spent.

If we were a team that was constantly finishing 10-2 or 11-1 (during the regular season), wining the coastal, making the ACCCG and then losing to Clemson...I would be concerned about the tremendous gap in resources. Until that time, we should be able to hit these very attainable goals.

Fifty people on the "regular" BOT. IN ADDITION TO THAT, there are ANOTHER 26 people who are "Emeritus" BOT members.

People on the BOT who have the knowledge, bandwidth, and/or interest to focus on Athletics:

Marc Buoniconti
Chuck Cobb
Paul DiMare
Marcus Lemonis
Jose Mas (1980s-90s, baby!)
Alex Rodriguez
Johnny Taylor (1980s, baby!)
Jonathan Vilma
Ed Williamson
Bernard J. Kosar, Jr. (Emeritus)

You probably need to include a Soffer and/or anyone else from a family whose name is on an ATHLETIC building.

You could supplement with some alums from other sports. I'd love to see Eric Brown represent men's hoops, and Charles Johnson for baseball. You could also bring in some former women's sports athletes, maybe reach out to Tiffany Arrington (tennis). Also, bring in Dewey. Can you imagine how much money THAT GUY could raise if we just built an "athletes and athletics first" organization? ****, we could run a couple of his speeches from Ballers on a loop on the TVs in the Hecht.

What the University could do is to use "NIL" as an excuse for the entire revamping of the Athletic Department operations. "Hey, we need A LOT MORE administration, or else this will be the early/mid 1980s all over again, when we couldn't even calculate the housing allowance correctly or track the textbooks we gave to the athletes, let alone monitor Tony Russell's shenanigans."

Sadly, Frenk has ZERO VISION for what is needed, either the scope or the timing.

This is the long version of what needs to happen to keep up with the big boys. But you’re failing to mention that we can’t even figure out a one month plan. I’ve seen all these schools create social media departments and make recruiting videos for covid and NIL stuff and we’re stuck on a chick who makes edits. We can’t even keep up with Pitt and GT’s social media departments they just started, let alone fundraising and supports staffs, at good P5 programs.

The best comparison I can make is, you’re trying to explain a full fledged business plan to a bunch of people who still finger paint.

Advertisement
Complaining that Miami doesn't have the money to compete for national championships when it can't even win the worst division in P5 more than once every 15 years is like the broke, unemployed 40 year old nerd living in parents basement whining to his mom he needs $1500 to buy a cool leather jacket since that's what all the hottest babes are into.

How about focusing on the short term goals first? When Miami is winning the coastal every year and not losing by more than 40 points to UNC at home, we can have the conversation about that leather jacket.

"Gino Torretta as AD." Clearly there is no vetting process to use the internet.
Hey Mo Ron, he is only VP of Gabelli, owns Touchdown Radio Productions, bright, articulate and widely respected in the college football world, in the College football HOF and I’ll stop there! Sounds like the same resume as Blake!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Hey Mo Ron, he is only VP of Gabelli, owns Touchdown Radio Productions, bright, articulate and widely respected in the college football world, in the College football HOF and I’ll stop there! Sounds like the same resume as Blake!
Do you want someone better than Blake or another figurehead like Reed?

ND doesn’t lack funding. It has a uniquely rich TV contract.
ND has the money but doesn't spend it on the athletic department. I am very close with Kyle Hamilton and his parents (we've known each other since Kyle was 8 years old the AAU basketball). Kyle's monthly stipend at ND is half of what he would have received from UGA and Bama. But he believed that the education was worth more to him over his life than an extra $800-1000 per month. ND literally claws the money back from its own athletic department. So yes, the university receives the money but the athletic department does not and the players do not.

Advertisement
Back