The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Advertisement
If what the poster said was true then we would see this leak from multiple sources. I am sure some people are upset but I'd wager that others are happy with 8 and 2 and believe in Manny.
This is why we are in the position we are in. Welcome to another decade of irrelevance.

Big difference between recruiting violations and harboring a hostile work environment. It wasn’t just Briles it was the entire university that covered it up.

Larger point being that Liberty had the balls to hire Freeze and now possibly Briles bc they wanna win more than this school does.
In life you need to take chances to get to your success! With that being said, Miami is already satisfied with just being mediocre. To them they already did enough winning, now all they wanna do is collect free money. This university has no balls, literally. UNC just scored again!

You lost all credibility with your hire Botch blah blah blah.

The truth of the OG post is that it's systemic from the top down but the unfortunate reality is that college football is too expensive to win at with the big boys for a private university.

Best we can hope for is every five years or so catching lightning in a bottle and making the playoffs. Anything more is unreachable.
I lost zero cred by stating that hoss, you just showed your ignorance is all that happened here. Butch is better than any coach we have hired since well, Butch. You seriously think Mandy is better, or AG, or RS, Butch is a monster recruiter and has a better eye for talent than any coach we've ever had

Advertisement
All of that takes a lot of money. When butch left he was negotiating to be paid top 3 of college football coaches. Times have obviously changed. We used to be the haves and now we are the have nots. Don't think we can ever truly compete with the big boys again.
we could not compete w the big boys then either, and Butch was in no way negotiating to be top 3 in salary, not even top 10

I lost zero cred by stating that hoss, you just showed your ignorance is all that happened here. Butch is better than any coach we have hired since well, Butch. You seriously think Mandy is better, or AG, or RS, Butch is a monster recruiter and has a better eye for talent than any coach we've ever had
That dude was sucking off Enos so hard, he still has Emos's **** caked on the corners of his mouth.

Don't waste your time, he has zero football knowledge.

Advertisement
This is the long version of what needs to happen to keep up with the big boys. But you’re failing to mention that we can’t even figure out a one month plan. I’ve seen all these schools create social media departments and make recruiting videos for covid and NIL stuff and we’re stuck on a chick who makes edits. We can’t even keep up with Pitt and GT’s social media departments they just started, let alone fundraising and supports staffs, at good P5 programs.

The best comparison I can make is, you’re trying to explain a full fledged business plan to a bunch of people who still finger paint.

I can't disagree with anything you just said.

Actually, you don't get it clown.

Alabama football had $125M in revenue and $60M in PROFIT on football last year. They have more analysts that aren't even considered coaches that have head coaching experience at P5 programs than we have interns.

Miami doesn't even spend $40M on its football program.

THEY SPEND WAY MORE MONEY AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

98 out of 100 times you get what you pay for.

As for the rest of your comment about what I do/don't know dip**** ... I graduated from UM and have been a 25+ year season ticket holder and have had a career in finance since graduating so I'm pretty confident I know at least as much as you about the Miami football program and how finance and economics work.
man if it just came down to money Texas would have rings stacked to the ceiling, obviously there's way more to it than that, we have never paid as much as the big schools

If what the poster said was true then we would see this leak from multiple sources. I am sure some people are upset but I'd wager that others are happy with 8 and 2 and believe in Manny.

Yes, but this is most of our problem. At least 40 clueless BOT members think "8-2 is better than 6-7, so no need to put 'head football coach' on the BOT agenda for another year".

Advertisement

Why not just trot out Don Shula's corpse while your at it. When did the benchmark for coaches become "better than Randy Shannon/Al Golden"?

Butch HAD a great eye for talent 20 years ago and unfortunately now he is an old man that nobody would touch with a 10 foot pole other than FIU who is enjoying an 0-5 season.

we could not compete w the big boys then either, and Butch was in no way negotiating to be top 3 in salary, not even top 10
Actually you are wrong. They had agreed to a contract at close to $2mm a year for 5 years including incentives but some buyout clauses kept him looking. Browns came in at 3mm+ a year and he was gone. If only he would have taken the contract we'd all be in a different place today.

You are WRONG.

The average head coach, 1998: $417,000​

The Division I-A Athletic Director’s Association found that average total packages included a $165,340 average base.

The average package for a Division I-A coach increased almost 11 percent from the 1997 to 1998 season, according to figures provided by the Division I-A Athletic Directors Association. The average base salary increased 9.35 percent. Even the single highest base salary increased from $501,000 to $525,000 per year in 1998. That’s a boost of $24,000 or 4.8 percent.
In 1999, Oklahoma pried Bob Stoops away from Spurrier’s staff. Midway through OU’s title-winning 2000, OU doubled his salary to $1.4 million. It was the third-largest salary, going to a man who wasn’t yet 40.

By 2004, at least 23 college football coaches made $1 million annually in total compensation.

Advertisement
Why would someone overseeing the football program pick the AD that runs other sports? A more believable approach would be that the AD doesn't oversee football.

So if Highsmith was going to oversee football operations and then pick the AD that would run the other sports, what's the difference between that and just saying Highsmith is the AD, but is selecting a subordinate that runs all sports other than football? And the idea of the AD, or someone other than the HC, picking the HC's staff and then having hiring and firing power over that staff is absurd. No head coach in the country, even at the D3 level, would accept a job where someone else is picking his staff.

This is so easy

ohio state football GIF

And give him whatever he wants

Yes, but this is most of our problem. At least 40 clueless BOT members think "8-2 is better than 6-7, so no need to put 'head football coach' on the BOT agenda for another year".
It’s absolute mind boggling that there are 80 BOT members. There’s no way in **** you can get any kind of consensus with that many people with such diverse backgrounds. Let alone getting them all together to make decisions.

Much respect for the kid. Too many kids today are shortsighted, seeking instant gratification over future rewards/success.
Funny story about Kyle is that the decision was entirely his. He wanted out of the south just to experience a different life and he completely understood the value of education. It was definitely not dad’s decision (who is my close friend).

Advertisement
Back