The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Fifty people on the "regular" BOT. IN ADDITION TO THAT, there are ANOTHER 26 people who are "Emeritus" BOT members.

People on the BOT who have the knowledge, bandwidth, and/or interest to focus on Athletics:

Marc Buoniconti
Chuck Cobb
Paul DiMare
Marcus Lemonis
Jose Mas (1980s-90s, baby!)
Alex Rodriguez
Johnny Taylor (1980s, baby!)
Jonathan Vilma
Ed Williamson
Bernard J. Kosar, Jr. (Emeritus)

You probably need to include a Soffer and/or anyone else from a family whose name is on an ATHLETIC building.

You could supplement with some alums from other sports. I'd love to see Eric Brown represent men's hoops, and Charles Johnson for baseball. You could also bring in some former women's sports athletes, maybe reach out to Tiffany Arrington (tennis). Also, bring in Dewey. Can you imagine how much money THAT GUY could raise if we just built an "athletes and athletics first" organization? ****, we could run a couple of his speeches from Ballers on a loop on the TVs in the Hecht.

What the University could do is to use "NIL" as an excuse for the entire revamping of the Athletic Department operations. "Hey, we need A LOT MORE administration, or else this will be the early/mid 1980s all over again, when we couldn't even calculate the housing allowance correctly or track the textbooks we gave to the athletes, let alone monitor Tony Russell's shenanigans."

Sadly, Frenk has ZERO VISION for what is needed, either the scope or the timing.

Advertisement
There was support but if you know Alonzo Highsmith he is a no nonsense guy who needed certain demands met so he had the opportunity to do what he felt necessary to get the program headed in the right direction. The parties were close but in the end things changed and Alonzo said see ya! That ship has sailed and don’t see 32 ever revisiting the idea. Sadly there were some pieces of the puzzle being put together that would have given UM some building blocks to a better future.We are a mid level program with a bad AD, terrible staff and minor league football ops department. As I said before I’m quite aware of Ohio State and their operation, have a nephew high up in their athletic department. They are a machine. Their AD is respected throughout the country, their staff is top shelf, **** Urban is an adviser! Then look at what the **** is going on in coral gables. I wish they would have given Alonzo a shot, I think he could have made massive improvements given a chance to implement his ideas. Too late now and this Is a 5 alarm fire.
Damm you took away my hope

I disagree with this comment, at least in what it really means. They may not 'want' mediocrity, in the sense that they'd be happy with wins. But they are unwilling to do any of the things required to win, unwilling to critically assess what is required, and willing to tolerate failure. So from how I see it, that's a board that doesn't want Miami to be a major program. If they did, you'd see different actions and different outcomes.

That's really the problem. They don't care. Assessing failure isn't that hard. The BOT has members on it who have had enough success and experience in other endeavors that they know -- or should -- what incompetence looks like. We're 15+ years into it staring us in the face. Stalin had a 5 year plan. You're telling me this BOT can't even have a 20 year plan?

There are only two ways to explain the past 2 decades. Either UM's BOT wants success but is the most incompetent collection of incompetent incompetents ever incompetently assembled, or they just don't care enough to do anything to upset their other priorities, whatever they are (progressivism, UHealth, social justice, whatever).

You are wrong. You are.

People like you constantly repeat the myth of "they don't care". And they do care. Maybe not as much as we do, or the same way that we do, but they care.

I've laid out the issues previously. They are simple. Yes, the members of the BOT are "successful". But just as this happens in real life (where corporate boards of directors are filled by "successful businesspersons" from DIFFERENT industries), there is no guarantee that any of them have the ability to recognize "incompetence" inside of the Athletic Department.

And, look, I'm not mad at YOU PERSONALLY. I'm just tired of all the clueless fans acting like "successful" businesspersons are qualified to run a major university Board of Directors.

Just google the UM BOT. I'm not saying those people ARE NOT successful, I'm just pointing out that a lot of them are on the UM BOT because they (or a member of their family) donated enough money to build a building at UM. Having NOTHING to do with the knowledge to "recognize incompetence" in an Athletic Department.

Also, the UM BOT is unwieldy. As I pointed out, there are over 80 members (including Emeritus and Ex Officio members). I realize that the undergrad Student Government President probably doesn't wield a lot of power, but that's still a lot of people. Now google the UF Board of Trustees. UF is 3x to 4x bigger than UM (campus size, student body size), yet the UF BOT is made up of 6 people appointed by the Governor and 5 members appointed by the Board of Governors, as well as two Ex Officio members (Faculty Senate Chair, Student Government President).

That is a MUCH tighter and dedicated BOT, much more nimble and able to make decisions. The UM BOT is characterized by being much too large and much more fractious. Groups of individuals are able to band together and "object" to things, rather than getting stuff done with a unified core of 8 or 10 people who know what needs to be done. Which is EXACTLY why the UM BOT needs to "spin off" a piece of the BOT to be authorized to act independently of the larger board, with the exception of major "consensus" issues, like the final approval on hiring football/basketball/baseball head coaches and extending contracts for those coaches.

And the other thing that comes with a BOT of 80 or more people is the fact that nearly everyone is a "part-timer". They barely put in the work. They were attending "via Zoom" for years before Covid. They just don't have the everyday interaction with the AD in order to properly gauge the "incompetence". As a result, when they go to the Homecoming football game in their Iron Arrow jackets, and Beta Blake shakes their hands and makes them feel important, THAT'S ALL THEY KNOW.

With the rise of the internet, the things said on these boards are STARTING to filter back to the BOT, at least more than they ever did 15 years ago. But whatever the BOT knows about how poorly things are going inside the Hecht...is NOT because they are "successful business persons" who "know how to recognize incompetence".

It's time to be honest. There is nothing that QUALIFIES most of the people on the BOT to oversee the AD. But they do. And for as long as we do not change THAT, we will continue to either "get lucky" or fail miserably based on who we hire as AD, because we sure as **** don't OVERSEE any of our ADs.

We need a smaller, tighter, more skilled, more full-time group within the BOT to oversee the AD. Period. Of course, Frenk (or his successor) needs to make that happen. Until then, most of the BOT are only going to be able to judge Beta Blake on his winning smile and halftime a$$-kissing. The BOT have no idea what happens inside the Hecht.

Fifty people on the "regular" BOT. IN ADDITION TO THAT, there are ANOTHER 26 people who are "Emeritus" BOT members.

People on the BOT who have the knowledge, bandwidth, and/or interest to focus on Athletics:

Marc Buoniconti
Chuck Cobb
Paul DiMare
Marcus Lemonis
Jose Mas (1980s-90s, baby!)
Alex Rodriguez
Johnny Taylor (1980s, baby!)
Jonathan Vilma
Ed Williamson
Bernard J. Kosar, Jr. (Emeritus)

You probably need to include a Soffer and/or anyone else from a family whose name is on an ATHLETIC building.

You could supplement with some alums from other sports. I'd love to see Eric Brown represent men's hoops, and Charles Johnson for baseball. You could also bring in some former women's sports athletes, maybe reach out to Tiffany Arrington (tennis). Also, bring in Dewey. Can you imagine how much money THAT GUY could raise if we just built an "athletes and athletics first" organization? ****, we could run a couple of his speeches from Ballers on a loop on the TVs in the Hecht.

What the University could do is to use "NIL" as an excuse for the entire revamping of the Athletic Department operations. "Hey, we need A LOT MORE administration, or else this will be the early/mid 1980s all over again, when we couldn't even calculate the housing allowance correctly or track the textbooks we gave to the athletes, let alone monitor Tony Russell's shenanigans."

Sadly, Frenk has ZERO VISION for what is needed, either the scope or the timing.

TOC,

1. Excellent post, I'd love to have Eric Brown and Jack McClinton added.

2. You left out David Epstein. He is a trustee with a supposed “interest” in sports. You wouldn't know it since he supports cancer and other losers but he supposedly supports sports. He probably fluffs Blake on the reg.

3. My question(s) is why are they content with Blake James? Mas (thanks for Coach L), Vilma and Marcus must know he is a failure/loser. Why do they allow this to continue?

We need a smaller, tighter, more skilled, more full-time group within the BOT to oversee the AD. Period. Of course, Frenk (or his successor) needs to make that happen. Until then, most of the BOT are only going to be able to judge Beta Blake on his winning smile and halftime a$$-kissing. The BOT have no idea what happens inside the Hecht.

1. Although this would be a 100000 times better approach, I don’t think it is optimal.

2. I really think the best approach is to bring in a Danny White type and give them autonomy. There is no reason for micromanaging, especially from people that lack that expertise, that hire. Why hire someone just to be a puppet or pull the strings?

Advertisement
You are wrong. You are.

People like you constantly repeat the myth of "they don't care". And they do care. Maybe not as much as we do, or the same way that we do, but they care.

I've laid out the issues previously. They are simple. Yes, the members of the BOT are "successful". But just as this happens in real life (where corporate boards of directors are filled by "successful businesspersons" from DIFFERENT industries), there is no guarantee that any of them have the ability to recognize "incompetence" inside of the Athletic Department.

And, look, I'm not mad at YOU PERSONALLY. I'm just tired of all the clueless fans acting like "successful" businesspersons are qualified to run a major university Board of Directors.

Just google the UM BOT. I'm not saying those people ARE NOT successful, I'm just pointing out that a lot of them are on the UM BOT because they (or a member of their family) donated enough money to build a building at UM. Having NOTHING to do with the knowledge to "recognize incompetence" in an Athletic Department.

Also, the UM BOT is unwieldy. As I pointed out, there are over 80 members (including Emeritus and Ex Officio members). I realize that the undergrad Student Government President probably doesn't wield a lot of power, but that's still a lot of people. Now google the UF Board of Trustees. UF is 3x to 4x bigger than UM (campus size, student body size), yet the UF BOT is made up of 6 people appointed by the Governor and 5 members appointed by the Board of Governors, as well as two Ex Officio members (Faculty Senate Chair, Student Government President).

That is a MUCH tighter and dedicated BOT, much more nimble and able to make decisions. The UM BOT is characterized by being much too large and much more fractious. Groups of individuals are able to band together and "object" to things, rather than getting stuff done with a unified core of 8 or 10 people who know what needs to be done. Which is EXACTLY why the UM BOT needs to "spin off" a piece of the BOT to be authorized to act independently of the larger board, with the exception of major "consensus" issues, like the final approval on hiring football/basketball/baseball head coaches and extending contracts for those coaches.

And the other thing that comes with a BOT of 80 or more people is the fact that nearly everyone is a "part-timer". They barely put in the work. They were attending "via Zoom" for years before Covid. They just don't have the everyday interaction with the AD in order to properly gauge the "incompetence". As a result, when they go to the Homecoming football game in their Iron Arrow jackets, and Beta Blake shakes their hands and makes them feel important, THAT'S ALL THEY KNOW.

With the rise of the internet, the things said on these boards are STARTING to filter back to the BOT, at least more than they ever did 15 years ago. But whatever the BOT knows about how poorly things are going inside the Hecht...is NOT because they are "successful business persons" who "know how to recognize incompetence".

It's time to be honest. There is nothing that QUALIFIES most of the people on the BOT to oversee the AD. But they do. And for as long as we do not change THAT, we will continue to either "get lucky" or fail miserably based on who we hire as AD, because we sure as **** don't OVERSEE any of our ADs.

I have no idea what you just wrote. That’s a lot of words. Too many for this discussion. you’re focused on a lot of issues that are different from my comment. I am not wrong in what I wrote. If you can’t grasp that and want to continue the discussion, pm me. This isn’t nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

and not caring, in the context of professional responsibility, doesn’t mean in your emotions at night you don’t have a sensation you would label ‘caring.’. This isn’t a disney movie and they’re not the grinch. Not caring means it’s not important enough for them to do anything about it, or even take the issues seriously.

TOC,

1. Excellent post, I'd love to have Eric Brown and Jack McClinton added.

2. You left out David Epstein. He is a trustee with a supposed “interest” in sports. You wouldn't know it since he supports cancer and other losers but he supposedly supports sports. He probably fluffs Blake on the reg.

3. My question(s) is why are they content with Blake James? Mas (thanks for Coach L), Vilma and Marcus must know he is a failure/loser. Why do they allow this to continue?

Yeah, Epstein has the background, in past years as a BOT member, which might possibly be a pro or a con. But, yes, he has the QUALIFICATIONS, I should have put him on the list. I do not know him as well. I know Johnny (USBG) and Jose (IFC) very well, was friends with them at UM. I know Marc fairly well, I was the GA for a couple of his classes and he and I would get together so that I could administer his exams.

The bigger point I was making was that we need people who have "come of age" with UM sports in the 80s and 90s. People in their 50s, predominantly. No need for a bunch of 70 and 80 year olds, though a couple are OK.

And I also mentioned names of people who I don't think are "fooled" by Beta Blake's smile and handshake. I think the problem is that the MAJORITY of the BOT have no idea. You and I can name 10-20 people, but the BOT has 80+ members. The majority of the BOT are people that can't see through Beta Blake's BS. And the passion/insight of the familiar minority who are most knowledgeable about sports can be outvoted by the more conservative (not p-analytically, just "conservative about change") majority.

Think about ALL the issues that have been discussed by Bernie, myself, and other UM alums or UM-connected people. Most of the BOT are SCARED of delegating control. SCARED of having a powerful/popular powerbase that they cannot dominate. THAT is why Blake/Manny's "we can do this" appeal worked, and dashed the Alonzo Highsmith deal. Because a few dozen BOTs were scared of giving Alonzo "I ain't scared of you, *****" the control that he needed to get the job done correctly.

And, yeah, I understand the buffoons who try to use the "tell me what on Alonzo's resume would guarantee his 100% success at UM" argument. But, again, NOT the point. What does Super Ticket Seller "Beta Blake" bring to the table? Nothing. The real issue is changing the overall administration and oversight of the Athletic Department. Maybe Alonzo would have been the best thing to ever happen to UM sports. Maybe he would not have fixed all our problems. But we NEEDED a change to the administrative structure.

Instead, we got more Beta Blake. More Manny. And while I LOVE Ed Reed, and Ed Reed is great at what he is currently doing, we needed a full-timer to be inside the Hecht during all working hours. And the best person (available) for that would have been Alonzo. And I'd love to see Gino come back to handle the business side.

NIL would give us the PERFECT chance to hire Gino, though Beta Blake would never do it. Beta Blake can only tolerate Alpha Ed Reed because he's in Atlanta half the time. Beta Blake wouldn't hire Alpha Alonzo and Alpha Gino too.

Fire Frenk. Fire Blake. I don't know that we can replace both of them with superior talent who love UM football the way that we do. But we are going nowhere with those two bozos in charge.

You are a buffoon.

Allow me to quote you: "In fact, the athletic department's 2nd or 3rd largest annual expense on its balance sheet behind salaries for coaches and administration and possibly facilities is for paying the University the tution/fees/room & board for the scholarship athletes."

Right there, you lose all credibility. There is no such thing as an "annual expense" on a "balance sheet". You aren't even bright enough to keep your financial statements straight.

Nearly all of Miami's athletic scholarships are already endowed. Prior to the Nevin Shapiro scandal, it was called the "Living Scholars Program". As an example, I used to be roommates at UM with a guy who is in the UM Sports Hall of Fame. Each year, he was one of the (non-football) athletes who would go down on the football field during halftime of a game to be recognized, so that the donor behind his scholarship could have his name read out loud and get credit for giving the money that endowed a scholarship. Those named and endowed scholarships involved multi-million dollar gifts. The money is then invested and the EARNINGS pay for the tuition/room & board/books. Therefore, if you look at the INCOME STATEMENT (or Profit & Loss Statement) and NOT the Balance Sheet, you would see that there is both income from investments in the Student Athlete Scholarship Fund (as it is now known), and then an annual allocation/recognition of the scholarship expense that is incurred each year (and remitted to the University of Miami proper).

Therefore, the Athletic Scholarships are not funded from the ACC revenue share or the game-day tickets, but from donations that have been made over the past decades which are invested and generate revenue of their own. And you clearly have no idea of the difference between Balance Sheets and Income Statements and Statements of Cash Flow, so just stop acting like you have any insight here. So, yeah, all of your false claims about how the Athletic Department's "second or third largest expense on its balance sheet" is tuition is just wrong. And "facilities" is a CAPITAL EXPENDITURE item, NOT an annual recurring budget item on the P&L.

As for other revenue that comes from the University proper, and NOT the Athletic Department, there are numerous sources. And, yeah, a clueless buffoon like yourself is not going to be able to figure it out by "googling". One source of money that UM pays into the Athletic Department is from the Student Athletic Fee. As an undergrad, grad, and law student, I paid the fee every year that I was enrolled at UM. Now, you can try to pooh-pooh that money, but it is money that is charged to each student by the Bursar (and fortunately for me, was covered in my financial aid), and that gets paid over from the general UM operating account into the Athletic Department budget. Furthermore, there is also a revenue stream from the licensing of the various logos (split-U, Sebastian) which were developed by the Athletic Department.
I typed balance sheet at 1am instead of income statement. My bad.

As for the rest of your horse**** .... facilities expense and depreciation are an annual occurrence.

Miami doesn't show its financials but here is an article that shows scholarship expense is a huge line item as well as that the crux of the entire discussion ..... that Miami is WAY BELOW the big boys in annual revenues and therefore spends WAY BELOW them on all sports but specifically football is painfully evident.

1. Although this would be a 100000 times better approach, I don’t think it is optimal.

2. I really think the best approach is to bring in a Danny White type and give them autonomy. There is no reason for micromanaging, especially from people that lack that expertise, that hire. Why hire someone just to be a puppet or pull the strings?

I think you misunderstand the point of the smaller group for oversight.

Yes, the AD needs autonomy. But you will NEVER sell that to the UM BOT without oversight. You need a second "buffer" group that will be the "institutional control", but will also take bothersome "athletic issues" off of the plates of the 50 or 60 BOTs who know nothing about Athletics.

I am NOT proposing "micromanaging" by the smaller Athletic BOT, nor would I ever propose a puppet AD. I'm just acknowledging that there is no way that the 50-60 non-athletic BOTs are going to hire an autonomous AD and give that AD full power. They wouldn't even do that for Alonzo, and he was (technically) below the AD level.

And if you had 10-20 passionate Trustees who KNOW athletics, they could be better advocates within the larger BOT for what needs to be done. We all know that any AD can say "we need to pay the coaches more". But you need "other successful business persons" who can each target a handful of busy Trustees in order to educate them about what other schools are doing.

Appeal to the competitiveness, envy, and even greed of the other Trustees. Make them feel like all the other schools are eating our lunch. Only then will they start to listen (even if they only half-listen).

Advertisement
TOC,

I think you really discount the amount of apathy from numerous BOTs when it comes to athletics. Combine that with the total lack of accountability and you have how the BOTs generally feel about athletics.

I think it should be very easy for 5 BOTs to explain the issues to the others and how to fix things. Especially because so many don’t ***ing care at all. Why would they want to be bothered?

As for the rest of your horse**** .... facilities expense and depreciation are an annual occurrence.

Miami doesn't show its financials but here is an article that shows scholarship expense is a huge line item as well as that the crux of the entire discussion ..... that Miami is WAY BELOW the big boys in annual revenues and therefore spends WAY BELOW them on all sports but specifically football is painfully evident.

You're full of crap. I knew you were going to claim "balance sheet" was a "typo". But you had to double down and claim "depreciation" is an actual expense, as if we are spending money on it. Once again, the annual REVENUE does not pay for the facilities, CAPITAL FUND-RAISING does. Thus, the "depreciation expense" is a non-issue from the standpoint of the annual budget. Not to mention the fact that "football stadium" depreciation is zero-point-zero.

Again, you are just a googler. You are not a person who actually knows facts or information. I don't need "an article" that "shows" scholarship expense is "a huge line item". It's funny, in one of your earlier posts, you tried to act as if I know nothing about how an Athletic Department's finances are run, but you are the true know-nothing, as all you do is google and cut-and-paste.

I realize that all you can do is traffic in generalities. "Miami is WAY BELOW the big boys". Yeah, whatever. We already know that the ACC payout is not as substantial as that of the Big 10 or SEC, but we are working on that. As for game-day, merch, sponsorship, we are not as bad off, but it is also nearly impossible to ever achieve parity with certain schools that have 40K student bodies and 100K stadiums.

Thanks for the worthless article. I prefer to deal with actual knowledge of UM's operations, and clearly you don't have that.

TOC,

I think you really discount the amount of apathy from numerous BOTs when it comes to athletics. Combine that with the total lack of accountability and you have how the BOTs generally feel about athletics.

Oh, I don't discount it. I'm well aware of it.

"Emeritus" members of the BOT should be limited to the immediate past Chair of the BOT, the immediate past Alumni Association president, and the immediate past president of the Faculty Senate. That eliminates about 25 useless seat-fillers.

And, yeah, maybe the "regular" BOT doesn't have enough people CURRENTLY who want to contribute to Athletics oversight. So that's another reason to create another body, so that the "former athletes" don't have to have the same "overall BOT" power.

Ya gotta keep em separated.

I have no idea what you just wrote. That’s a lot of words. Too many for this discussion. you’re focused on a lot of issues that are different from my comment. I am not wrong in what I wrote. If you can’t grasp that and want to continue the discussion, pm me. This isn’t nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

and not caring, in the context of professional responsibility, doesn’t mean in your emotions at night you don’t have a sensation you would label ‘caring.’. This isn’t a disney movie and they’re not the grinch. Not caring means it’s not important enough for them to do anything about it, or even take the issues seriously.

I get it. You want to continue to repeat the oversimplification phrases.

"The BOT doesn't care".

"Shalala killed UM football".

"Shalala destroyed the OB".

To fight oversimplification, you have to use a lot of words, get specific, address lots of issues, and know all the facts and circumstances. That's not for everyone.

Advertisement
You're full of crap. I knew you were going to claim "balance sheet" was a "typo". But you had to double down and claim "depreciation" is an actual expense, as if we are spending money on it. Once again, the annual REVENUE does not pay for the facilities, CAPITAL FUND-RAISING does. Thus, the "depreciation expense" is a non-issue from the standpoint of the annual budget. Not to mention the fact that "football stadium" depreciation is zero-point-zero.

Again, you are just a googler. You are not a person who actually knows facts or information. I don't need "an article" that "shows" scholarship expense is "a huge line item". It's funny, in one of your earlier posts, you tried to act as if I know nothing about how an Athletic Department's finances are run, but you are the true know-nothing, as all you do is google and cut-and-paste.

I realize that all you can do is traffic in generalities. "Miami is WAY BELOW the big boys". Yeah, whatever. We already know that the ACC payout is not as substantial as that of the Big 10 or SEC, but we are working on that. As for game-day, merch, sponsorship, we are not as bad off, but it is also nearly impossible to ever achieve parity with certain schools that have 40K student bodies and 100K stadiums.

Thanks for the worthless article. I prefer to deal with actual knowledge of UM's operations, and clearly you don't have that.

Calais Campbell donated a endowed scholarship recently for $1.6M. I guess that means according to your moronic assertion that the football team has >$100M+ in athletic endowments and the entire athletics department has a $4-500M endowment right? Oops, that would make no sense since the entire Univ of Miami has an endowment less than $1.5B.

The other comical portion of your reply is that the bolded portion is exactly what I have been saying the entire time in this thread so thank you for proving my point .... that UM has no chance to be a consistent Top 5 team unless the economics of football changes. We can compete every 4-5 year cycle but we just don't/can't spend enough to consistently compete.

PS: go fk yourself

Last edited:
@TheOriginalCane

So you're saying we can expect a new President within the next 12-18 months? Despite the bloat and disjointedness it's one thing the BOT can agree on? And is his main problem concerning athletics his complete non-involvement in the department?

I'd imagine your reconfiguration of the BOT is a long shot and our best bet for having the athletic department be taken seriously hinges completely on a new president? Sounds like trying to win the god**** lottery

Aren't most college programs the minor leagues relative to Bama, Clemson, OSU and sometimes ND and the other SEC schools? What I mean is that 99% of college football programs have decided that they will not invest the type of money it takes to compete with the aforementioned schools. Certain schools will periodically be good despite the lack of comparative funding;
USC and UM because of their recruiting grounds
UT and OU because they have the money and recruiting if they can ever put it together (frankly I don't know why these schools aren't consistently in the top 5).
ND because they have a lure that few other schools have despite the lack of funding
And that's really about it. The rest of college football have washed their hands and we now have a 2 tier system similar to professional baseball. Do the Pirates really compete against the Yankees or do they just play the same sport? Sure Tampa and the Marlins are good from time to time but they lack the resources to compete year in and out.
It's sad to write this but it's obvious as well. And honestly I can't tell a school how to spend its money OR, whether it is more financially lucrative to spend a lot of money, or how much Miami spends.
I explained the same to my friends who are fans of Univ. of Michigan. They were equally unhappy because they keep telling me about 1998.

Advertisement
money IS NOT the issue guys, i wish we could get a number on the money we've thrown away the last 15 yrs, all the hiring, the stupid buyouts, millions and millions. Also fyi, Butch woulda took less money than we're paying Mandy, you think he woulda done a better job lol
Thank God Richt let us out of his contract : Would Butch have been better : probably : Butch not only had an eye for talent, he had a pretty good eye for coaches too : I think everyone he had on his staff last go around got some head coaching gig :

Aren't most college programs the minor leagues relative to Bama, Clemson, OSU and sometimes ND and the other SEC schools? What I mean is that 99% of college football programs have decided that they will not invest the type of money it takes to compete with the aforementioned schools. Certain schools will periodically be good despite the lack of comparative funding;
USC and UM because of their recruiting grounds
UT and OU because they have the money and recruiting if they can ever put it together (frankly I don't know why these schools aren't consistently in the top 5).
ND because they have a lure that few other schools have despite the lack of funding
And that's really about it. The rest of college football have washed their hands and we now have a 2 tier system similar to professional baseball. Do the Pirates really compete against the Yankees or do they just play the same sport? Sure Tampa and the Marlins are good from time to time but they lack the resources to compete year in and out.
It's sad to write this but it's obvious as well. And honestly I can't tell a school how to spend its money OR, whether it is more financially lucrative to spend a lot of money, or how much Miami spends.
I explained the same to my friends who are fans of Univ. of Michigan. They were equally unhappy because they keep telling me about 1998.

This is accurate. Blake got "saved" by a strong offseason by Manny (Lashlee+King) and this discussion hasn't taken place here for quite a while. But it's the elephant in the room and it will be a constant struggle. Ultimately, I don't ever expect UM to have the financial resources to compete with the schools you mentioned, but an AD that at least wants to and tries to would be welcome.

Assuming you do not mean the athletic department specifically, that is not true for the school as a whole. Here they are: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_audit/8789920181

You can also look at Part VIII through XI of the 990 for a better breakout.

Advertisement
Back