The RB position

Duke leaves and we'll have some combo of Cronkite/Walton/Scarlett coming in after..

The position is not in dire straits at all. Just back off of the ledge, sheesh. RB is not a position that I'll complain about right now.

Advertisement
Duke leaves and we'll have some combo of Cronkite/Walton/Scarlett coming in after..

The position is not in dire straits at all. Just back off of the ledge, sheesh. RB is not a position that I'll complain about right now.

It was well documented that the situation was dire before the start of last season. The staff made public comments about their concerns. Our worst nightmare happened against FSU and the rest is history. We added Yearby, which will help, but that may not be enough. He still has a broken leg. He still hasn't recovered. Until he recovers and returns to his regular level of play, our situation will be similar to last year.

Our guys will be one year more experienced, but will that be enough to overcome our shortcomings after Duke got hurt? If we landed one more quality back in the past 2 years, we would not be in this situation. Depth is huge at the RB position. They drop like flies, especially if they're smaller framed.

It was dire last year, and it could be the same next year. That not too crazy of a statement.

What about the kid that transferred from Iowa?

He broke his foot at Juco and then earlier in the season he got a few carris but looked slow and out of shape so he was burried on the depth chart behind scholarshiped running backs. An I don't see him being put on scholarship this year. I think UM will look for other options such as a Ross, Madre London,
Or greg howell.

Go Canes

Advertisement

I am not falling for that...we have done this year after year after year...we can only count on kids that are on the roster...not hopefuls...
or kids that we deem as "LOCKS" lots of things have in recruiting year after year... and if this last 4 weeks have not proved it then
I don't know what else could

Yup. Last yr was the worst stable of Runningbacks in 20 yrs at UM. I really believe that.

Yearby is a stud, we all know what Duke is but were still missing that bruiser

Last years stable had Duke Johnson so not buying it

2006 I'm thinking

You mean like how this year we got some combo of cook/michel/yearby/powell?

Advertisement

I am not falling for that...we have done this year after year after year...we can only count on kids that are on the roster...not hopefuls...
or kids that we deem as "LOCKS" lots of things have in recruiting year after year... and if this last 4 weeks have not proved it then
I don't know what else could

This. I remember everyone falling over the thought of Duke, Collins, Sony, Yearby or Cook, and Scarlett in back to back to back years. As of right now only 2 are Canes. Based on that ratio we will only get 1 of the 3 he just mentioned.

And no idea why there's this sentiment that Dallas has proven he can't play. Seriously? I'm pretty sure he's proven that he CAN play. He's not elite, but he's earned carries. How many touchdowns did the kid score? I just think we wore him out with Duke injured. And he's a tremendous special teams player. Getting hit in the backfield half the time in the bowl game didn't help.

Love Dallas.

I'm not sitting here saying we are ****ed at RB. Definitely not. Just saying when you know our recruiting landscape, and our history, its a tough pill to swallow to have scary depth at the spot. When you see the RBs we have passed on and see the spot we have pit ourselves in, its just strange to me.

I agree with WestEndZone.

We are doing Crawford a disservice by not playing him in the slot, and Gus isn't ready. Losing Collins probably cost us a game or two last season.

This.

Think you and I discussed it before but Crawford and Yearby would be deadly in that role. Would be nice if we had some horses on the depth chart that would allow that. Seems that would play into what Coley likes to do as well.

5.jpg

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1812098 said:
I like gus a lot more then others here do. Kid needs to develop.

I agree that we needed one more. We had Powell locked up. He chose to flip last minute

if he was "locked up" he would not have "flipped last minute"

Something is up with Gresham. We told his coach we were done at RB. UL also cut him loose and last I read he was down to some lower level programs. Kid either has grade issues or something else going on, but his stock fell big time this year.

Advertisement
Only one guy can carry the ball on each running play. Does no good to stockpile guys at that position and have them standing around bored and getting into hijinx.

Most of those TDs came at the goal line earlier in the year IIRC. Talking about a guy that can carry the load week in and week out, I wouldn't count on Dallas for that. Maybe as a 3rd option/goal line guy, then maybe.

Never said he should be our starter. I said he could play RB. Which he has proved he can.

He's proven to be a 3rd string RB, I agree.

Looked pretty decent as a 2nd string last year. but ok.

His last 3 games he had 41 carries for 112 yards, 2.7 ypc. Not the type of performance I'm looking for from the backup RB spot, but to each his own.

Yeah, because he doesn't need the OL to block for him or anything.

Advertisement
Back