The RB position

Gus needs to get at least 10-15 carries every game and with that, the offensive identity of this team needs to change. Hopefully Coley will figure that out.

you trust Gus with 10-15 carries a game?...I am more prone to let the Iowa rb transfer get some carries ..not Gus

Advertisement
And no idea why there's this sentiment that Dallas has proven he can't play. Seriously? I'm pretty sure he's proven that he CAN play. He's not elite, but he's earned carries. How many touchdowns did the kid score? I just think we wore him out with Duke injured. And he's a tremendous special teams player. Getting hit in the backfield half the time in the bowl game didn't help.

He had 13 TDs from the RB position last year = our fans say he can't play RB.

crossover22[]_[];1812184 said:
Gus is solid. Don't understand the hate

Because if you're not Adrian Peterson as a freshman Cane fans will write you off as a JAG and beg for your scholly to be rescinded.

And no idea why there's this sentiment that Dallas has proven he can't play. Seriously? I'm pretty sure he's proven that he CAN play. He's not elite, but he's earned carries. How many touchdowns did the kid score? I just think we wore him out with Duke injured. And he's a tremendous special teams player. Getting hit in the backfield half the time in the bowl game didn't help.

He was the starter. He's going to be productive.

If we get Alex Collins, does Crawford even get moved to RB?

Advertisement

He was the starter. He's going to be productive.

If we get Alex Collins, does Crawford even get moved to RB?

No but did we get Alex Collins? No so stop living in a fantasy world. And Dallas had more TD's than Duke when Duke was healthy and the starter. The kid isn't a homerun hitter bt he can play.

Most of those TDs came at the goal line earlier in the year IIRC. Talking about a guy that can carry the load week in and week out, I wouldn't count on Dallas for that. Maybe as a 3rd option/goal line guy, then maybe.

Most of those TDs came at the goal line earlier in the year IIRC. Talking about a guy that can carry the load week in and week out, I wouldn't count on Dallas for that. Maybe as a 3rd option/goal line guy, then maybe.

Never said he should be our starter. I said he could play RB. Which he has proved he can.

Advertisement

Never said he should be our starter. I said he could play RB. Which he has proved he can.

He's proven to be a 3rd string RB, I agree.

Yeah Gus is a total bust. Don't forget how awesome Willis looked here as a Frosh.

Looked pretty decent as a 2nd string last year. but ok.

Duke
Yearby
Crawford
Gus

Our RB position is not in dire straits at all. Who started this nonsense?
I like Gus, Crawford is solid. Duke is great, but is coming off a major injury and there is a real possibility this is his last year here. I like the 4 that we have. Bottom line is only having 4 guys at a position that has potential for a lot of attrition throughout the year is not enough.

Advertisement
I agree with WestEndZone.

We are doing Crawford a disservice by not playing him in the slot, and Gus isn't ready. Losing Collins probably cost us a game or two last season.

Duke
Yearby
Crawford
Gus

Our RB position is not in dire straits at all. Who started this nonsense?
I like Gus, Crawford is solid. Duke is great, but is coming off a major injury and there is a real possibility this is his last year here. I like the 4 that we have. Bottom line is only having 4 guys at a position that has potential for a lot of attrition throughout the year is not enough.

And the staff knows this.

It's not a coincidence that they feverishly recruited Cook, Michel, Powell, and (apparently) Scarbrough after Yearby committed.

Advertisement
Has anyone seen Yearby lately? He was small to begin with, and he's lost a lot of weight since his injury.

In recruiting you need to look a couple years ahead.

Duke - Stud, broken ankle
Yearby - Stud, broken ankle
Crawford - RB is not even his best position
Edwards - lacks explosion, runs too timidly, doesn't finish runs with conviction. Was stood up more than once by smaller defenders.

There are rumors Duke will declare. Assuming he does, you have one big-time back in Yearby. What's biting us in the *** is the fact that:

Dalvin Cook
Sony Michael
Brandon Powell
Alex Collins

Are not Hurricanes. Whiffing on those 4 potentially leaves us with one - if we're being honest - Miami quality back. We need Duke to stay his senior season, if not, We will be forced to rely heavily on a stud true freshman to mix in with Yearby, assuming we land one.

Last edited:

Looked pretty decent as a 2nd string last year. but ok.

His last 3 games he had 41 carries for 112 yards, 2.7 ypc. Not the type of performance I'm looking for from the backup RB spot, but to each his own.

Advertisement
Back