The Race to 300

The problem with the portal is that the big dogs don’t care about feelings.
Saban and Kirby will sit any 5 star down if an Addison or Gibbs comes on the scene.
This attitude of depending on the portal is starting to get to the level of “sofla next year’s elite class” that we never end up landing.

There is a recurring theme here and Mario knows it and may or may not have known the level of commitment that the front runners have for local elite players. Either he’s playing possum or we’re gonna end up striking out.

The thing that is haunting us the most keeps raising its ugly head.
The complete strike out and poor evaluations at elite south Florida skill positions can not be understated.

How many sofla skill position draft picks have not been either recruited by or not landed by UM coaches in the last 6 years?
That fact alone could not be more obvious during the tamu Game.

Their elite speed on defense erased our entire receiving corps.
A receiving corps that should’ve been stocked with sofla players with legit draft potential and elite speed.

We get Ladsen and UsC gets Addison.
That’s not how you do it.
We all knew the portal was a disaster at WR. It didn’t even have to be an Addison; a guy like Jacob Cowing (whom many on this board including @Liberty City El pointed out early) would have been a phenomenal addition. Trey Palmer at Neb, Mitchell Tinsley at Pedo St, Tyler Hudson at Louisville, Antoine Wells at Scar, etc.

Point is, this staff failed miserably by falling for the Ladson card…but we give them a pass because they had only been here a couple months. That’s fine, it’s a somewhat ok excuse for year one even though it appears we vastly improved the defense in the same time frame.

This cannot happen in 2023. If we can’t recruit a bonafide #1 WR at the high school level, we HAVE to convince 1, maybe 2 elite portal WRs to come here.

If not, Gattis needs to be shown the door; and I still believe in his offensive playcalling, but my god you have to recruit some dudes. It shouldn’t be like pulling teeth down here.

As for some other points in this thread…DT is concerning. Especially given how well our guys have played there and the development we’ve seen (especially from Taylor).

DB’s goes without saying as well.

Advertisement
We all knew the portal was a disaster at WR. It didn’t even have to be an Addison; a guy like Jacob Cowing (whom many on this board including @Liberty City El pointed out early) would have been a phenomenal addition. Trey Palmer at Neb, Mitchell Tinsley at Pedo St, Tyler Hudson at Louisville, Antoine Wells at Scar, etc.

Point is, this staff failed miserably by falling for the Ladson card…but we give them a pass because they had only been here a couple months. That’s fine, it’s a somewhat ok excuse for year one even though it appears we vastly improved the defense in the same time frame.

This cannot happen in 2023. If we can’t recruit a bonafide #1 WR at the high school level, we HAVE to convince 1, maybe 2 elite portal WRs to come here.

If not, Gattis needs to be shown the door; and I still believe in his offensive playcalling, but my god you have to recruit some dudes. It shouldn’t be like pulling teeth down here.

As for some other points in this thread…DT is concerning. Especially given how well our guys have played there and the development we’ve seen (especially from Taylor).

TAMU and Texas got some the lineman that Mario had committed to Oregon until he came here.
Wether or not they would’ve stuck to the ducks if Mario stayed is the question.
Another question is why didn’t they follow him here?
Obviously it was the bags. But Mario was able to convince kids from Texas to go to Eugene but not Miami.
It’s either a money situation or a winning situation. But Texas and tamu haven’t won sht.
It’s still a battle for those positions.

When it comes to the WR Portal situation there’s WAYYYYY more to it than what you’re saying here

But you sound like you’re venting so vent away

Concerned about DT recruiting because guys who are 300+ pounds and can move do not grow on trees. We got lucky with landing Taylor and getting Darrell Jackson in the portal. But what is behind him. Haye hasn’t played and Moten is a true freshman. Both are unknowns.

Ladson and young were fails but I think the staff was desperate to add an outside tall guy. Not an excuse though. Heck ufag and fspoo both added Arizona state receivers who might be their respective top targets. Not all Americans but we could use them. Palmer at Nebraska followed Mickey Joseph. There were options tho and they failed.

Advertisement
When it comes to the WR Portal situation there’s WAYYYYY more to it than what you’re saying here

But you sound like you’re venting so vent away
Venting away? Yeah because the issue was completely fixable; I just named four guys that I’m sure would have been interested if we pursed them harder. I could name 15 more. They all excel on the outside.

Instead we became enamored with a another high school stud like we’re back in prom; the five star tape 4 years ago means jack now. We gave him a chance, he’s confirmed he’s a JAG. now it’s time to fix that this time around or people will be calling for Gattis’ head.

But go ahead and continue to make excuses.

Venting away? Yeah because the issue was completely fixable; I just named four guys that I’m sure would have been interested if we pursed them harder. I could name 15 more. They all excel on the outside.

Instead we became enamored with a another high school stud like we’re back in prom; the five star tape 4 years ago means jack now. We gave him a chance, he’s confirmed he’s a JAG. now it’s time to fix that this time around or people will be calling for Gattis’ head.

But go ahead and continue to make excuses.
I wasn’t making excuses at all or criticizing your post

I simply know a lot of stuff that went down in the portal is all and it’s not as cut and dry as you’re saying

But yes they have a lot to prove in the future

I wasn’t making excuses at all or criticizing your post

I simply know a lot of stuff that went down in the portal is all and it’s not as cut and dry as you’re saying

But yes they have a lot to prove in the future
I’m on 4 hours of sleep, I misread. Forgive me 😂

I’m on 4 hours of sleep, I misread. Forgive me 😂
Trust me man I wasn’t criticizing

It’s been a painful few days

Just offering up some things like when you said they fell for the Ladson thing. They were not in any way shape or form happy with that

But I’m also not going to white knight this staff. Mario’s track record is a good one but there’s absolutely some things that I hope to see fixed. At least with these guys I don’t feel like this **** board is more aware than the staff anymore…lord knows we’ve had that in the past

Advertisement
Trust me man I wasn’t criticizing

It’s been a painful few days

Just offering up some things like when you said they fell for the Ladson thing. They were not in any way shape or form happy with that

But I’m also not going to white knight this staff. Mario’s track record is a good one but there’s absolutely some things that I hope to see fixed. At least with these guys I don’t feel like this **** board is more aware than the staff anymore…lord knows we’ve had that in the past
Mario will get it done one way or the other. like I said, it think Mario would sell his kid if it meant winning at UM. he works tirelessly and hes not gonna. let someone else dictate whether he succeeds or fails down here with what is his dream job. hes also an experienced program builder and hc. on top of that, I think losing B Mac def hurt us a bit imo.

Mario will get it done one way or the other. like I said, it think Mario would sell his kid if it meant winning at UM. he works tirelessly and hes not gonna. let someone else dictate whether he succeeds or fails down here with what is his dream job. hes also an experienced program builder and hc. on top of that, I think losing B Mac def hurt us a bit imo.
It’s still the greatest off-season in the history of our program and I’m not gonna complain about it even though there’s things that need cleaned up obviously

Now at 274 and they don’t have Action Jackson showing up in the list yet.

Cormani is the type of kid who opens EVERY set of eyes in the entire country. Trust me, not a single kid we are recruiting didn’t stop tonight and say “wow”. Not a single one. Kids like this are talent magnets. Would be nice to win a couple games down the stretch here to just ensure we glue this class together, but Top 5 is VERY possible.

Cormani is the type of kid who opens EVERY set of eyes in the entire country. Trust me, not a single kid we are recruiting didn’t stop tonight and say “wow”. Not a single one. Kids like this are talent magnets. Would be nice to win a couple games down the stretch here to just ensure we glue this class together, but Top 5 is VERY possible.
If we get Bain and Samson should be a top 5 class when all is said and done.

Advertisement

Facts. Dogs wanna play with dogs. This was yuuuuggggeee.

Yes 300 looks very very reasonable right now, and the wild thing is we are close already with only 18 commits

If we get Bain and Samson should be a top 5 class when all is said and done.
Could be. If we added them now we would be at #3 with a ~290 score, with fewer commits than anyone else in the top five (not yet including Antione Jackson). Just depends on how many end up in the class, and how many end up in the other classes at that point, as ~290 would put us just inside or just outside top 5 depending on the year.

Advertisement

1000%. This opens the eyes of Inniss, ****ey, Ricks, Bain, Okunlola, M'Pemba, Fletcher, Brown, etc.

Now lets figure out a way to win 3 more this year, get to a bowl game and close strong. If we get some momentum going to end the year, look out for what kind of finish we could have.

Updating here with the commitment of Archemafrog.

Currently sitting at 275.74 points with 20 commitments. I'm not going to get into the details of exactly how many we can sign because it's always a moving target but let's just say we're signing at least 25. So 5 spots left to get 25 more points. Nobody will agree who those 5 will be, but let's just take a stab at some kids who we all feel are at least somewhat likely:

Bain
Samson
Brown
Horton
McLeod

That gets us to 293. Would be a great close, but not quite to the magic number. Start adding kids like possibly Fletcher, flipping Jackson, the Michigan kid, god forbid Moore and we can for sure get there.

I think we not done yet Marcus Peters dot gif

Currently sitting at 275.74 points with 20 commitments. I'm not going to get into the details of exactly how many we can sign because it's always a moving target but let's just say we're signing at least 25. So 5 spots left to get 25 more points. Nobody will agree who those 5 will be, but let's just take a stab at some kids who we all feel are at least somewhat likely:

Bain
Samson
Brown
Horton
McLeod

That gets us to 293. Would be a great close, but not quite to the magic number. Start adding kids like possibly Fletcher, flipping Jackson, the Michigan kid, god forbid Moore and we can for sure get there.

I predict most of the class will be set on ESD, however, Mario will also pull kids in February. I can absolutely see us getting to 300.

Bain
Samson
Brown
Horton
McLeod

We're definitely going to sign more than 25 kids. There is no counter limit this year as long the roster is at 85 or less.

Advertisement
Back