The Problem with the Convicts/Catholics Moniker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
That label was “NOT” created and hung on Miami as a term of endearment. That term was born out of hate, some even contend racism, and it is designed to belittle the Canes football program by inferring that our kids are bad people (criminals) and our winning history is illegitimate.

For many reasons Canes fans embracing that label is a form of self-mutilation. Citing only one reason is the impact on national recruiting. There are not a whole lot of 5 star recruits whose parents would be thrilled that their son is going to play for a school whose players are referred to as “convicts”.

If there are parents of past or current UM football players I ask you if you are okay with your son be labeled as a “criminal” and a segment of our fans thinking that is cool?

Miami’s bad boy image during the year’s we dominated college football was worn as a badge of honor…and I loved it! But, the world has drastically changed and today’s screwball, overbearing political correctness is steering almost all facets of life. With 100% certainty; something will happen in the world, in our country, on Miami’s campus where the zealots (ESPN, etc.) will use that situation to howl that the Canes football “criminals”, “bad boys” are the example of all that is bad in college sports/society. It is time to move on and accept that we are in a different day and time where a higher learning institution being associated with criminals or bad boys is an implosion waiting to happen.

Fortunately, Coach Richt’s pristine history and reputation greatly helps to dilute those lies about our kids, hence the upcoming, highly ranked recruiting class.

3,2,1...and the attacks begin!!

Advertisement
Convict on a cross next to Christ was first person in Heaven. I'm Catholic and the Faith is clear that God loves His forgotten ones. Plus, in the this time of Trump, we are the closest thing to him. His sits at the top of the mountain and seems to enjoy all the hate. I'm good with that.

Convict on a cross next to Christ was first person in Heaven. I'm Catholic and the Faith is clear that God loves His forgotten ones. Plus, in the this time of Trump, we are the closest thing to him. His sits at the top of the mountain and seems to enjoy all the hate. I'm good with that.

We are nothing like Trump.

Poor poor comparison

Now if miami were comprised of spoiled millionaire children with small hands who dodged any and all attempts at taking responsibility, dodged serving, lied 99.9% of the time, were not athletic, had no loyalty to anyone (including country) then maybe the comparison would make some sense

Advertisement
I've been to a Notre Dame game before. (My cousin's father played RB for them a while ago). Like Bernie Kosar said in the "The U" documentary, Notre Dame is by far, NOT at all a catholic environment.

2e51t1k.gif

I understand your point, but, unfortunately very, very few will make the biblical connection that you reference. When 99% of the world encounters the use of the word "convict" they walk away with a highly negative view of the person, organization attached to that word.

Penn State got an entire Gameday to white wash Paterno and Sandusky, interested to see if ESPN affords us the same (they won't)

Advertisement

I understand your point, but, unfortunately very, very few will make the biblical connection that you reference. When 99% of the world encounters the use of the word "convict" they walk away with a highly negative view of the person, organization attached to that word.

True. But protecting true criminals at FSU and PSU didn't seem to hurt their recruiting. I remember a certain RB's momma saying she liked who Jimbo protected Rapist. Also, ND started that famous fight before that game up there -- press still blamed us. "They will hate you in My Name .." Christ made it abundantly clear that just being hated is not sinful. I am sure that a good Bible thump-er like Mark will be able to handle recruits' mothers. That said, I get what you are talking about

Bet we don't hear a word about the U's community service achievement this week.

You make an excellent point. Knowing the media is never going to trumpet the community service and good deeds our kids perform leaves it to our Athletic Department's (or university's) Marketing and Public Relations team to spread the good news.

Regrettably, over the many years our Marketing and Public Relations teams have not done a good job. Giving the Devil its due, look at Florida's marketing efforts. They are light years ahead of us in this area and it pays huge dividends in recruiting, raising funds, attracting top flight coaches and other aspects of the over all reputation of the University.

Advertisement

Poor poor comparison

Now if miami were comprised of spoiled millionaire children with small hands who dodged any and all attempts at taking responsibility, dodged serving, lied 99.9% of the time, were not athletic, had no loyalty to anyone (including country) then maybe the comparison would make some sense

So, you don't like Trump and therefore everything about him is evil, got it. But if you fail to see that is how everyone thinks of us, you need to look at it again. Perhaps you prefer comparison to Hilary. That's might be more in keeping with the convict theme-- Crooked Hilary. You can go with that if you like. She is hated too so it could work.

Advertisement

True. But protecting true criminals at FSU and PSU didn't seem to hurt their recruiting. I remember a certain RB's momma saying she liked who Jimbo protected Rapist. Also, ND started that famous fight before that game up there -- press still blamed us. "They will hate you in My Name .." Christ made it abundantly clear that just being hated is not sinful. I am sure that a good Bible thump-er like Mark will be able to handle recruits' mothers. That said, I get what you are talking about

You are right! Yet, the two schools you mention are a part of the NCAA's, and over all college community, boys club. The Canes have always been looked at as the outsiders, renegades and malcontents thanks to the media (and, yes, we weren't exactly choir boys).

Had the Canes been associated with crimes similar to those of PSU our football program would have been given the death penalty 30 seconds after the news broke. Don't forget, that several hours after the Shapiro story broke, NCAA President Mark Emmert without being asked volunteered to the assembled press that the death penalty was on the table. Conversely, when the despicable PSU story broke they had to send out bloodhounds to get a comment out of Emmert who eventually said that the PSU situation was a police matter and did not fall under the NCAA's jurisdiction. What? Huh? Say that again?

Overanalysis here.

Using convicts for Miami as well as thugs is as racist code as it gets. Period. End of story.

Victims, victims, everywhere and not a crime to find.

The identity politics is strong with these two.
[MENTION=13418]Gator[/MENTION]hatar and [MENTION=15989]Earnest T. Bass[/MENTION] have jumped the shark...right into “ignore user” bin.

Poor poor comparison

So, you don't like Trump and therefore everything about him is evil, got it. But if you fail to see that is how everyone thinks of us, you need to look at it again. Perhaps you prefer comparison to Hilary. That's might be more in keeping with the convict theme-- Crooked Hilary. You can go with that if you like. She is hated too so it could work.

Comparing the miami hurricanes to either of those two stupid entitled political figures is dumb, and a real stretch.

Go pray for a better comparison idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back