The one thing we do well

& @E1k

I really need to understand where this pedestrian Herbert narrative is coming from. I live in PAC-12 country & I’ve seen **** near all of Herbert’s games.

It’s the reason why I chest bumped my father & told him u just struck gold when his LAC drafted him. So since this narrative keeps floating around, let me allow stats to back me up.

Justin Herbert - 3* (.8586 rating - 626th ranked)

2016 - Mark Helfrich (Matt Lubick - OC)
8 games played/started (2-6 record)
Stats:
1936 yrds / 63.5% / 19 TDs / 4 ints / QBR 73.9 / 58 rush / 161 yrds / 2 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 2

2017 - Willie Taggart (Mario & Marcus Arroyo - CoOC)
8 games played/started (6-2 record)
Stats:
1,750 yrds / 66.5% / 13 TDs / 3ints / QBR 80.1 / 35 rush / 166 yrds / 5 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 1

———————————————————————————————————————-

2018 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
13 games started (9-4 record)
Stats:
2,985 yrds / 59.6% / 28 TDs / 8 ints / QBR 76.4 / 67 rush / 173 yrds / 2 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 2

2019 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
14 games started (12-2 record)
Stats:
3,333 yrds / 66.7% / 32 TDs / 5 ints / QBR 74.7 / 49 rushes / 21 yrds / 1 TD

Games w/ 300+ passing: 4

So again, if u look at his production w/ Mario as HC vs. Helfrich & Taggart, even w/ Arroyo being the common OC during Taggart & Mario’s regime, Herbert’s numbers took off exponentially. In 2 yrs under Mario he posted 70 TDs to 13 ints playing in 27 games.
-His TD to interception ratio improved under Mario.
-His TD/g avg improved under Mario.
-He had bigger passing stats games under Mario.
-He put up over 6,300 yrds under Mario vs. the two guys who r supposed to be Offensive guys in Helfrich & Taggart.

Maybe u guys r confusing ESPN highlights of Herbert when they compared him to Tua, as they blatantly focused on Herbert throwing ints the entire segment, as they sucked off Tua. Regardless, he was anything but pedestrian w/ UO under Mario. He came on to the scene b/c of Mario. Prior to, no one even knew who this kid was if u weren’t on the WC.

Btw, name me Herbert’s receiving corps at UO; then name me Tua’s.
Im solely basing my opinions off what i watched bro not numbers, not compared to tua, not receiving corps. I’ve watched those games in real time and this past off season when mario got hired, its bad man. I give arroyo more **** for it than most but mario hired another oc and things didn’t change much and even now with us not much has changed so it’s obviously has alot to do with him. Somebody posted a more in depth stats breakdown in this thread tho

Advertisement
Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

Hopefully this year wakes him up and he changes things.

I’m comparing his Jr & Sr stats vs. his freshman & sophomore stats b/c that’s the only comparison to make. Lmao. Mario wasn’t his HC his Freshman & Sophomore yr; but he was his Jr & Sr yr.

So riddle me this Batman, how does a guy become exponentially better under a guy who sucks at X’s & O’s? How does a guy not succeed under the HC who coached up Marcus Mariota to a Heisman, yet he has his best statistical yrs under the guy who can’t coach, allegedly?

I’ve talked to plenty of UO fans, I mean again, it’s not like I don’t have a little homie on campus right now & another little homie who played for them. Could Justin have done even more at UO, stat wise? Sure; but, after winning the MVP at the Sr bowl + his production his last two yrs, the only scouts I heard ?ing him were those enamored w/ Tua’s Bama stint, despite that hip injury. It was very clear Herbert was going 1st round.

Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

we are fucked GIF by Noah Cyrus

Im solely basing my opinions off what i watched bro not numbers, not compared to tua, not receiving corps. I’ve watched those games in real time and this past off season when mario got hired, its bad man. I give arroyo more **** for it than most but mario hired another oc and things didn’t change much and even now with us not much has changed so it’s obviously has alot to do with him. Somebody posted a more in depth stats breakdown in this thread tho

Point me in the right direction, chief. I’m all for statistical break downs.

Let me be clear; this is not advocating or endorsing any of this prehistoric bull chit we’ve seen thus far. This strictly on the subject of Mario “ruining” Herbert.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s
and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

"He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s"

This is exactly why I keep questioning the Brady/Briles rumors. They may have reached out because their scheme is a dream fit with our recruiting hotbed. But its hard to believe that Mario seriously considered either of them. I mean.. how would Brady's interview have gone? Joe, we love that your offense was literally the best of all time. But you'd need to abandon that offensive philosophy for something that hasn't been successful since 2008 if you want to coach here."

Advertisement
Point me in the right direction, chief. I’m all for statistical break downs.

Let me be clear; this is not advocating or endorsing any of this prehistoric bull chit we’ve seen thus far. This strictly on the subject of Mario “ruining” Herbert.
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-one-thing-we-do-well.180275/post-6128813

Also, ruined herbert is not what my point is, not understanding what u have and maximizing it is what is scary to me for our future. LSU had burrow and they scrapped that pro style **** because if u watched u saw burrow had the talent ,my brother is a lsu fan he told me the year before the natty if we open this **** up E we gonna be scary.

The coaches saw the same and went to got joe brady and u know the rest. Of course lsu had chase and jettas unlike oregon but im talkin about recognizing what u have and adapting

I thought Herbert was an overrated bum coming out of Quack town. My bad.

Mario absolutely has to beat this narrative.

The narrative, sadly means more than reality, but it would make more sense if he was throwing to some top 3 round WR talents and skill position guys and not putting up numbers.

Only receiver to get drafted while Herbert was there is Dillon Mitchell in the 7th round. He had a 1,000 yard season with Mario and Herbert. Mitchell is in the CFL now.

Johnny Johnson had 800 the year after. Undrafted.

It's not like Herbert was throwing to world beaters like the other guys drafted that year (Justin Jefferson, Chase, Judy, Riggs).

Only RB drafted was Royce Freeman, (3rd rounder, no pro production) and that was Herbert‘s sophomore year.

Not a single TE drafted.

Draft isn't the end all, be all, but Oregon fans act like they had dudes all around Herbert and Mario was holding them back.

That's not the reality.

It was Herbert and a bunch of JAGs.

"He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s"

This is exactly why I keep questioning the Brady/Briles rumors. They may have reached out because their scheme is a dream fit with our recruiting hotbed. But its hard to believe that Mario seriously considered either of them. I mean.. how would Brady's interview have gone? Joe, we love that your offense was literally the best of all time. But you'd need to abandon that offensive philosophy for something that hasn't been successful since 2008 if you want to coach here."

Just looking at his time as a head man...

2009 FIU (OC Bill Legg) - 35 rushes per game (69th nationally)
2010 FIU (OC Scott Satterfield) - 40 rushes per game (34th)
2011 FIU (Satterfield) - 37 rushes per game (64th)
2012 FIU (Tom Cramsey) - 41 rushes per game (32nd)
--
2017 Oregon (as CoOC) - 48 rushes per game (9th)
2018 Oregon (OC Marcus Arroyo) - 41 rushes per game (43rd) -
2019 Oregon (Arroyo) - 36 rushes per game (78th) -
2020 Oregon (OC Joe Moorhead) - 34 rushes per game (105th)
2021 Oregon (Moorehead) - 38 per game (68th)
--
2022 Miami (OC Josh Gattis)- 41 rushes per game (31st)

His time where he has control over who and what on the offense...it seems he's all over the place with rush totals and a wide variety of OCs that ran different offenses. Three of his OCs ended up with head coaching jobs after their time with him.

Advertisement
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-one-thing-we-do-well.180275/post-6128813

Also, ruined herbert is not what my point is, not understanding what u have and maximizing it is what is scary to me for our future. LSU had burrow and they scrapped that pro style **** because if u watched u saw burrow had the talent ,my brother is a lsu fan he told me the year before the natty if we open this **** up E we gonna be scary.

The coaches saw the same and went to got joe brady and u know the rest. Of course lsu had chase and jettas unlike oregon but im talkin about recognizing what u have and adapting

U know what; can’t argue w/ any of this, & I agree completely.

The offensive scheme is the biggest issue, without a doubt.

15 play 7 minute drives aint it. It makes the margin of error in a game so low. Especially when you aren't a good redzone team.

All of football knows are identity already. MTSU sold out on the run everytime and we stupidly went straight at it.

You know how easy and effective a PA pass to the TE on those short yardage plays are? Automatic conversion (we did that ONCE). Or a wheel route to Knighton or Parrish.

Personally decisions, having Mallory block at this point is stupidity. He isn't going to do it. He's a liability.

The first interception TVD threw, look at the formation. All bunched up no space. Look at the route, no space. Trash formation and difficult spacing slowing down decision making.

Back to trash coaching. MTSU played 1v1 man on our recievers all day and were aggressive jumping routes. Why not throw them a few wr screens (maybe they break one tackle and gone)? But more importantly, it sets up a pump fake screen and go route.

This offensive identity makes it very hard to support. This was the main thing that scared me. Like I posted in the chat, now the question is....will he adapt? We've reached this question much sooner than it thought.
Bravo brother. I kept telling my wife at the game we would get a gazillion 1st downs and do nothing with it. Like you said, this offense cannot be behind at all. Because we will take forever to score (if that). Teams can play bend don’t break knowing we can punch it in <20 yards in. But hey, we’ll be #1 in First downs and TOP. Lol

Advertisement
Mario absolutely has to beat this narrative.

The narrative, sadly means more than reality, but it would make more sense if he was throwing to some top 3 round WR talents and skill position guys and not putting up numbers.

Only receiver to get drafted while Herbert was there is Dillon Mitchell in the 7th round. He had a 1,000 yard season with Mario and Herbert. Mitchell is in the CFL now.

Johnny Johnson had 800 the year after. Undrafted.

It's not like Herbert was throwing to world beaters like the other guys drafted that year (Justin Jefferson, Chase, Judy, Riggs).

Only RB drafted was Royce Freeman, (3rd rounder, no pro production) and that was Herbert‘s sophomore year.

Not a single TE drafted.

Draft isn't the end all, be all, but Oregon fans act like they had dudes all around Herbert and Mario was holding them back.

That's not the reality.

It was Herbert and a bunch of JAGs.
I keep posting about being like Kelly and firing/hiring until you get it right.

I'm not really joking. He's got to do a deep dive into making the offense work. Throw away the pride and preconceptions. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Learn how to delegate.

We have the resources now. Get it done.

Advertisement

This is my biggest gripe with Gattis thus far, in our first four games it’s **** near impossible for anyone to claim that Gattis was strategic in his game plan to maximize the skills of our players. Rooster and Parish should catch 2-5 passes a game each ; no creativity with BS12 ; having Mallory be inline as much as he has

This is my biggest gripe with Gattis thus far, in our first four games it’s **** near impossible for anyone to claim that Gattis was strategic in his game plan to maximize the skills of our players. Rooster and Parish should catch 2-5 passes a game each ; no creativity with BS12 ; having Mallory be inline as much as he has

Have u seen Coach Hayes breakdown of the MTSU disaster? If not, go take a look. Part of our problem is Gattis, & the other part is indeed the players. There were many wide open players in that MTSU game, in which both Jake & TVD predetermined their throws vs. going through progressions. We also have multiple missed blocking assignments or simply our OLmen just being walked or rag dogged into the back field.

In regards to Parrish; remember Parrish was wide open in the flat against A&M & the ball was dropped. With that being said, yeah, we need more creativity out of the back field. Hopefully that will be addressed this bye week AND these two backs r healthy.

I never thought Mario “ruined” Herbert. That is a narrative spun by people who don’t like his run first style. But he absolutely held Herbert and that offense back. The problem we inherited is that he won’t ever get rid of that stigma until he hires someone who’s playbook is wide open.

The issue I have right now is that we don’t seem like we’re gonna land a true #1 receiver. If we can’t do that, then we better land a true #1 running back. And it doesn’t look like we’re gonna do that either. So unless things change in a major way, this isn’t gonna be an overnight fix. Don’t get me wrong, I knew it was a rebuild, but I didn’t expect it to take 2-3 years to be playing in Charlotte.

I just think none of our guys are any good. They are OK I guess, but not good enough for Miami to get back to where Miami is supposed to be. Coaches included so far. I want it as bad as anyone but we just don't have it yet.

Advertisement
Back