The one thing we do well

Advertisement
I work with a University of Michigan fan and asked her about Gattis and his offense whilst he was at the other UM. She said that his offense was not good when he first became the OC and she thinks it has to do with him being in the press box calling plays. She said when he was in the press box the offense was putrid but then he went down and started calling plays on the field and the offense started clicking and was explosive and efficient. That's why she feels his offense works better when he is calling plays on the field.

I am in no way, shape, or form and offensive guru or know much if at all anything about calling plays so I will leave this to the experience posters like the goats @Cribby @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @SouthParkCane @LeedsCane @DMoney @LuCane @Rellyrell @Lance Roffers @k9cane @OrangeBowlMagic @Da Jumbo Mutombo @SWFLHurricane (sorry if I missed someone) on here that could possibly shed some light on this topic. Hopefully one of the legends I listed can shed some light on this for us. Is there a huge difference with calling plays in the box as compared to calling plays on the field? Would this make a considerable difference in this offense starting to fire on all cylinders? Is it even a possibility that if Gattis comes down to the field to call plays this offense can do a 180?

Advertisement
I work with a University of Michigan fan and asked her about Gattis and his offense whilst he was at the other UM. She said that his offense was not good when he first became the OC and she thinks it has to do with him being in the press box calling plays. She said when he was in the press box the offense was putrid but then he went down and started calling plays on the field and the offense started clicking and was explosive and efficient. That's why she feels his offense works better when he is calling plays on the field.

I am in no way, shape, or form and offensive guru or know much if at all anything about calling plays so I will leave this to the experience posters like the goats @Cribby @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @SouthParkCane @LeedsCane @DMoney @LuCane @Rellyrell @Lance Roffers @k9cane @OrangeBowlMagic @Da Jumbo Mutombo @SWFLHurricane (sorry if I missed someone) on here that could possibly shed some light on this topic. Hopefully one of the legends I listed can shed some light on this for us. Is there a huge difference with calling plays in the box as compared to calling plays on the field? Would this make a considerable difference in this offense starting to fire on all cylinders? Is it even a possibility that if Gattis comes down to the field to call plays this offense can do a 180?
I think the only difference in the two is in the box you can’t really feel how your players are reacting.. but if you’re a great play caller I think the box is much better. We’re all canes, look at Dorsey up in the box. Putting on a clinic because he can see the defense it is entirety all at once. Maybe someone else will feel differently but if he sucks in the box he won’t be better on the field

This offense wasn’t even looking good in the spring game and we heard that it was because we are installing a new scheme.

I was concerned about us after flying down there and seeing that **** in person.

ive been concerned since spring..that was the most boring , un innovative offense i seen in awhile and me trying to watch the spring game led to me falling asleep twice.

I think the only difference in the two is in the box you can’t really feel how your players are reacting.. but if you’re a great play caller I think the box is much better. We’re all canes, look at Dorsey up in the box. Putting on a clinic because he can see the defense it is entirety all at once. Maybe someone else will feel differently but if he sucks in the box he won’t be better on the field
Thank you for clarifying

I’ve heard this narrative b4, calling plays from the box vs. the field. I propose exhibit A in Dan Enos. Here’s a guy who was infamously photographed on the field w/ his wet play sheet in the barn burner against the 5-7 Duke Blue Devils scoring 17 points. Being a Bears fan, I’ve seen our OC on the field, in the box, in a taxi, in a blimp…it didn’t matter.

There’s pros & cons to each method, but at the end of the day, if an OC is trash, they’re trash no matter what position they are on

Advertisement
Don't think that would improve things based on what we saw at Oregon.

In 14 games Herbert's senior year, he had 32 TDs.
- 5 of those games he threw 1TD or less (2 of those he had zero).
- 18 of his 36 TDS came in 4 games against Montana (5), Nevada (5), Arizona (4) and Washington (4). Washington is the only decent defense in that bunch.
- For reference, Arizona was 126th in passing D, Nevada was 99th and Washington was 56th.

- He also threw the ball 30 times or less 8 of those games, more than half. 6 of those 8 were 28 passes or less.
- He threw for <200 in each of his final 3 college games (Oregon State, Utah and Wisconsin)......<250 in 7 of this 14 senior games.
- Again for reference, Oregon State was 117th in passing D while Utah and Wisconsin were tied for 12th.

Mario had a Top10 NFL QB and just refused to use him. I honestly think that's one reason Herbert's only weakness right now in the NFL is closing out games. He wasn't asked to do it in college. All they did was run. If Mario wants to succeed in Miami, he needs to be able to modernize his attack (and demand so from his OC) to not simply have tunnel vision to control games with the run to give his D a rest (something i do agree with at times bc Manny wasn't able to do it and it showed) but also put up points with the pass, and help set up runs with the pass, AS WELL as recruit all those skill positions. If you tilt too far to one side, you lose interest from those recruits. Bama and Ohio State have found a nice balance with that. Gattis imo is NOT that guy. His passing schemes are leaving a lot to be desired at this point and like Manny, he appears stubborn thus far to make tweaks. It seems like each stop Gattis was at, he was a co-OC or had a coach step in at some point. I'm starting to see why.

Miami has had 3 cupcakes on the schedule plus A&M. Yet this offense is 77th in yards per play. AWFUL and unacceptable in every way.

I remember having a full om argument with posters when i was on the Lane Train and pointing out everything you posted above about Herbert.

I mean ...the man made Herbert look so pedestrian that i didnt want him on my fins because i thought he was an average passer.

I remember having a full om argument with posters when i was on the Lane Train and pointing out everything you posted above about Herbert.

I mean ...the man made Herbert look so pedestrian that i didnt want him on my fins because i thought he was an average passer.
And people keep trying to change the story up bro lol in real time people were like wtf is that offense they had a literal cyborg and ran into stacked boxes and threw bubble screens all game

I’ve heard this narrative b4, calling plays from the box vs. the field. I propose exhibit A in Dan Enos. Here’s a guy who was infamously photographed on the field w/ his wet play sheet in the barn burner against the 5-7 Duke Blue Devils scoring 17 points. Being a Bears fan, I’ve seen our OC on the field, in the box, in a taxi, in a blimp…it didn’t matter.

There’s pros & cons to each method, but at the end of the day, if an OC is trash, they’re trash no matter what position they are on
Makes sense. I really wasn’t sure but the 2 reactions I got back so far had been similar. They may have had other issues internally that no one really knew about but what was noticed was him going from the box to field and success followed.

Advertisement
it’s would hope they give TVD a way to audible. They need option routes. No more excuses.
He can't audible because he can't read the D in the first place. He has no idea what is going on pre snap.

There were many plays that were clearly not going to work out yet Gattis & TVD just run them and throw into the problem.

ive been concerned since spring..that was the most boring , un innovative offense i seen in awhile and me trying to watch the spring game led to me falling asleep twice.
Thought it was just me 😂😂😂😂😂

I went to sleep during the game watching from the house.

Craziest thing to me is all this info available about Gattis and he was still hired. When Mario was taking 3 months to hire a staff and ppl was screaming due diligence and there was a section of us saying this is ridiculous because if you think to long you think wrong. Well it’s looking like we were right. Mario has to come into the new century of CFB. You can play spread and be physical at the same time while utilizing all the athletes you have access to.

Don't think that would improve things based on what we saw at Oregon.

In 14 games Herbert's senior year, he had 32 TDs.
- 5 of those games he threw 1TD or less (2 of those he had zero).
- 18 of his 36 TDS came in 4 games against Montana (5), Nevada (5), Arizona (4) and Washington (4). Washington is the only decent defense in that bunch.
- For reference, Arizona was 126th in passing D, Nevada was 99th and Washington was 56th.

- He also threw the ball 30 times or less 8 of those games, more than half. 6 of those 8 were 28 passes or less.
- He threw for <200 in each of his final 3 college games (Oregon State, Utah and Wisconsin)......<250 in 7 of this 14 senior games.
- Again for reference, Oregon State was 117th in passing D while Utah and Wisconsin were tied for 12th.

Mario had a Top10 NFL QB and just refused to use him. I honestly think that's one reason Herbert's only weakness right now in the NFL is closing out games. He wasn't asked to do it in college. All they did was run. If Mario wants to succeed in Miami, he needs to be able to modernize his attack (and demand so from his OC) to not simply have tunnel vision to control games with the run to give his D a rest (something i do agree with at times bc Manny wasn't able to do it and it showed) but also put up points with the pass, and help set up runs with the pass, AS WELL as recruit all those skill positions. If you tilt too far to one side, you lose interest from those recruits. Bama and Ohio State have found a nice balance with that. Gattis imo is NOT that guy. His passing schemes are leaving a lot to be desired at this point and like Manny, he appears stubborn thus far to make tweaks. It seems like each stop Gattis was at, he was a co-OC or had a coach step in at some point. I'm starting to see why.

Miami has had 3 cupcakes on the schedule plus A&M. Yet this offense is 77th in yards per play. AWFUL and unacceptable in every way.
Lebron James Yes GIF by Uninterrupted

Advertisement
Thought it was just me 😂😂😂😂😂

I went to sleep during the game watching from the house.

Craziest thing to me is all this info available about Gattis and he was still hired. When Mario was taking 3 months to hire a staff and ppl was screaming due diligence and there was a section of us saying this is ridiculous because if you think to long you think wrong. Well it’s looking like we were right. Mario has to come into the new century of CFB. You can play spread and be physical at the same time while utilizing all the athletes you have access to.

He was hired cause this is the garbage offense Mario wants to run.
I’ve come to the conclusion it took Mario so long to hire someone is because there’s not too many OC running this trash offense Mario insists on running out there to pick from.

Anyone that thinks this offense will succeed in todays game is totally insane.

& @E1k

I really need to understand where this pedestrian Herbert narrative is coming from. I live in PAC-12 country & I’ve seen **** near all of Herbert’s games.

It’s the reason why I chest bumped my father & told him u just struck gold when his LAC drafted him. So since this narrative keeps floating around, let me allow stats to back me up.

Justin Herbert - 3* (.8586 rating - 626th ranked)

2016 - Mark Helfrich (Matt Lubick - OC)
8 games played/started (2-6 record)
Stats:
1936 yrds / 63.5% / 19 TDs / 4 ints / QBR 73.9 / 58 rush / 161 yrds / 2 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 2

2017 - Willie Taggart (Mario & Marcus Arroyo - CoOC)
8 games played/started (6-2 record)
Stats:
1,750 yrds / 66.5% / 13 TDs / 3ints / QBR 80.1 / 35 rush / 166 yrds / 5 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 1

———————————————————————————————————————-

2018 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
13 games started (9-4 record)
Stats:
2,985 yrds / 59.6% / 28 TDs / 8 ints / QBR 76.4 / 67 rush / 173 yrds / 2 TDs

2019 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
14 games started (12-2 record)
Stats:
3,333 yrds / 66.7% / 32 TDs / 5 ints / QBR 74.7 / 49 rushes / 21 yrds / 1 TD

Games w/ 300+ passing: 4

So again, if u look at his production w/ Mario as HC vs. Helfrich & Taggart, even w/ Arroyo being the common OC during Taggart & Mario’s regime, Herbert’s numbers took off exponentially. In 2 yrs under Mario he posted 70 TDs to 13 ints playing in 27 games.
-His TD to interception ratio improved under Mario.
-His TD/g avg improved under Mario.
-He had bigger passing stats games under Mario.
-He put up over 6,300 yrds under Mario vs. the two guys who r supposed to be Offensive guys in Helfrich & Taggart.

Maybe u guys r confusing ESPN highlights of Herbert when they compared him to Tua, as they blatantly focused on Herbert throwing ints the entire segment, as they sucked off Tua. Regardless, he was anything but pedestrian w/ UO under Mario. He came on to the scene b/c of Mario. Prior to, no one even knew who this kid was if u weren’t on the WC.

Btw, name me Herbert’s receiving corps at UO; then name me Tua’s.

& @E1k

I really need to understand where this pedestrian Herbert narrative is coming from. I live in PAC-12 country & I’ve seen **** near all of Herbert’s games.

It’s the reason why I chest bumped my father & told him u just struck gold when his LAC drafted him. So since this narrative keeps floating around, let me allow stats to back me up.

Justin Herbert - 3* (.8586 rating - 626th ranked)

2016 - Mark Helfrich (Matt Lubick - OC)
8 games played/started (2-6 record)
Stats:
1936 yrds / 63.5% / 19 TDs / 4 ints / QBR 73.9 / 58 rush / 161 yrds / 2 TDs

2017 - Willie Taggart (Mario & Marcus Arroyo - CoOC)
8 games played/started (6-2 record)
Stats:
1,750 yrds / 66.5% / 13 TDs / 3ints / QBR 80.1 / 35 rush / 166 yrds / 5 TDs

Games w/ 300+ passing: 1

———————————————————————————————————————-

2018 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
13 games started (9-4 record)
Stats:
2,985 yrds / 59.6% / 28 TDs / 8 ints / QBR 76.4 / 67 rush / 173 yrds / 2 TDs

2019 - Mario Cristobal (Marcus Arroyo - OC)
14 games started (12-2 record)
Stats:
3,333 yrds / 66.7% / 32 TDs / 5 ints / QBR 74.7 / 49 rushes / 21 yrds / 1 TD

Games w/ 300+ passing: 4

So again, if u look at his production w/ Mario as HC vs. Helfrich & Taggart, even w/ Arroyo being the common OC during Taggart & Mario’s regime, Herbert’s numbers took off exponentially. In 2 yrs under Mario he posted 70 TDs to 13 ints playing in 27 games.
-His TD to interception ratio improved under Mario.
-His TD/g avg improved under Mario.
-He had bigger passing stats games under Mario.
-He put up over 6,300 yrds under Mario vs. the two guys who r supposed to be Offensive guys in Helfrich & Taggart.

Maybe u guys r confusing ESPN highlights of Herbert when they compared him to Tua, as they blatantly focused on Herbert throwing ints the entire segment, as they sucked off Tua. Regardless, he was anything but pedestrian w/ UO under Mario. He came on to the scene b/c of Mario. Prior to, no one even knew who this kid was if u weren’t on the WC.

Btw, name me Herbert’s receiving corps at UO; then name me Tua’s.
Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

Hopefully this year wakes him up and he changes things.

Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

Hopefully this year wakes him up and he changes things.
Amen!

I see why the OC search went the way it went. He has no choice but to change things or he’s going to be gone year 4 or 5 into his deal

Advertisement
Back