The one thing we do well

I never thought Mario “ruined” Herbert. That is a narrative spun by people who don’t like his run first style. But he absolutely held Herbert and that offense back. The problem we inherited is that he won’t ever get rid of that stigma until he hires someone who’s playbook is wide open.

The issue I have right now is that we don’t seem like we’re gonna land a true #1 receiver. If we can’t do that, then we better land a true #1 running back. And it doesn’t look like we’re gonna do that either. So unless things change in a major way, this isn’t gonna be an overnight fix. Don’t get me wrong, I knew it was a rebuild, but I didn’t expect it to take 2-3 years to be playing in Charlotte.

I’ll repeat it again, brody;

We can’t continue to recruit guys that are not top 10 at their position.

Let’s peep our WR room:
-0 from the class of 2018

-0 from the class of 2019

-3 from the class of 2020:
(Redding - 31st ranked WR)
(Restrepo - 36th ranked ATH)
(K Smith - 112th ranked WR)

-3 from the class of 2021:
(Brinson - 25th ranked WR)
(George - 29th ranked WR)
(B Smith - 36th ranked WR)

-3 from the class of 2022:
(Horton - 56th ranked WR)
(Young - JUCO Transfer)
(Ladson - dropped from a 4 to a 3* via portal)

1. This is a thin af WR room. We have only 7 healthy bodies in this room, w/ only 5 being playable at this point

2. We don’t have a single WR on this roster who was top 20 at their position, let along top 10!

I think we have to go to the late 2000’s - early 2010’a where the WR room didn’t have at least one guy who ranked top 10 coming out. This room needs a major overhaul. I’ve said this room is full of 3rd down chain movers. But difference makers? Not so much, although I would love for B Smith to be used all over the field, a la Deebo Samuel.

Advertisement

"It was plain for all to see that Herbert’s sophomore season was a prelude to his ability to be an elite QB in the right system. Regrettably, Cristobal’s system shackled, and hid away Herbert’s true talent for his final two seasons at Oregon."

"Anthony Brown started the 2017 season opener for Boston College, becoming only the second freshman to do so. Brown went on to play in 22 games over the next two seasons, but statistically, Brown never set the world on fire.

The 2019 season saw Boston College hire new offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian, who had been in the NFL from 2015 – 2018 with Tampa Bay as their quarterback coach. Brown suffered a season-ending injury in the second quarter of the sixth game of the season at Louisville, but his stats showed dramatic improvement.

Brown’s 2019 completion percentage was 59.1%. He averaged 9.1 yards per completion, with a passer rating of 154.5.

Brown had arrived with his per yard pass completion sitting in almost the Top 10 of FBS and a passing rating inside the Top 20. With a 2020 QB transfer class that included Jamie Newman, D’Eriq King, J.T. Daniels, and K.J. Costello, The Sporting News rated Brown the No. 9 transfer quarterback for the upcoming season.

Not surprisingly, given Cristobal’s track record of his risk adverse offensive philosophy, Brown’s numbers regressed from his final year at Boston College.

Brown increased his completion percentage by 5%, but his yards per completions dropped by 1.4 yards per pass. The QB’s passer rating of 141.0 was a 13.5 point drop, and Brown’s yards per completion and passer rating dropped out of the Top 10 and 20 in FBS.

Brown’s last start came in the Alamo Bowl, where Oregon finally discovered the deep ball during the second half. The anemic Ducks offense suddenly put up 29 second half points. Brown threw for over 300 yards, dropping dimes downfield for three touchdowns as he closed out his career at Oregon. For Ducks fans, after suffering through four years of Cristobal’s offense, they finally saw an offense designed to complement Brown’s strengths in the second half of the Alamo Bowl."

"The Oregon Ducks of 2019 were fantastic. They finished the season 12-2 with a Rose Bowl win and had arguably the best defense in school history. Herbert was a top ten draft pick at QB, and he was pressured at one of the lowest rates in the FBS. So why was Herbert’s draft stock in question? Simply put, he didn’t look spectacular.

Sure, 3,471 yards 32 touchdowns and six interceptions are not stats to laugh at. But completing less than 70% of his passes, having multiple games with no touchdowns accounted for and being compared to a quarterback named Joe Burrow, who had the greatest season in college football history from a passing perspective left many wanting more from the Ducks QB.

Flash forward a year and there is a massive debate happening in NFL circles about if maybe Herbert is a better QB than Burrow. Herbert spends all day every Sunday throwing absolute bombs for touchdowns. With several of the longest passes (in the air) in the league this season, Herbert has proven to have one of the best arms in the league and has shown off tremendous touch never before seen from the former Oregon Duck.

The revelation that Herbert is this good should frighten Cristobal.

The top two quarterbacks taken in the 2020 draft had the number one and number three best scoring offenses in college football. The presumptive top two QB’s in the 2021 NFL Draft have the number one and number four best scoring offenses in the current college football season. The point being that having a top QB should give you a top offense and yet Oregon’s 2019 offense ranked 14th in ppg. Nothing to laugh at, but they averaged 12 points per game less than Burrow’s LSU Tigers.

This bodes poorly for Cristobal, despite the departure of Marcus Arroyo (who should be equally scared). If you have a great offensive line and a top QB, along with a solid group of receivers, it stands to reason that you should have a top five offense. Even if he wasn’t the play caller, Cristobal is still an offensive minded coach, and he should be worried that one of the most talented offenses we will ever see in Eugene could only manage 35 points per game."

“I don’t know if (Cristobal) is necessarily the guy you should be afraid of. Like, what has he done that’s been so great? Everybody talks about how good of a recruiter he is. How come he didn’t have a quarterback outside (of inheriting) Justin Herbert?
How come he gets out-coached by Kyle Whittingham two out of three games in the fall? You have the athletes. There’s going to be like three first-round picks from that team? How come you’re losing to Stanford and Utah twice? I wouldn’t be afraid in recruiting. I think it’s wide-open in that state.”

Last edited:
Herbert‘s stats were fine but if you watched all their games he wasn’t close to the same guy as the NFL. He didn’t look like the number one pick in the draft, **** there was a good amount of people that said the Chargers reached on him at 6. I saw some scouts that said he’s a second or third rounder. You’re also using his Fr and Soph years stats versus his Jr and Sr year. Majority qb’s are better as Sr’s versus their Fr years, so that’s not a surprise he played better after staring 3-4 years. Ask a Oregon fan about Mario’s offenses and you won’t like the answers. Justin should’ve been airing the ball out and putting up insane numbers , he was a generational talent and it was obvious by after his Jr year. Mario did less with more.

Mario is not an X /O guy or Qb coach, never has been. He’s an Ol coach that wants to be physical and run the ball. That’s his deal. Meat and potatoes type.

There’s a reason he had issues hiring Oc’s and landing wr’s in the portal. There’s a narrative and it’s no secret. Let’s just keep it real.

Hopefully this year wakes him up and he changes things.
If the argument is he improved his sophomore year to junior year and again senior year, why isn't the argument ALSO he improved a lot entering the NFL? And why isn't the argument that he went from having zero real threats at Oregon to having Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler.... Only thing Chargers are missing is an absolute burner. He walked into a good situation with the Chargers for sure. Plus his rookie year Herbert was 4th in Passing attempts but 25th in Intended Air Yards/Attempt - he had the 4th most YAC yards though. 14th in TD%, 15th in Adjusted Net Yards/attempt with 6.84 (Rodgers and Mahomes were 8.89 and 8.33 respectively to lead the league). He was 18th in On target% and 12th in Bad Throw%. I feel like people are acting like Herbert was elite as a rookie or something when he wasn't. He was good - which relative for a Rookie QB is great. My point in that is it's not like Herbert was airing it out like crazy with the Chargers either.

And sure they could have aired it out more at Oregon with Herbert, but he was still 18th in the nation in pass attempts. 17th in Adjusted Y/A (10th in P5), and 11th in Passing TDs - Maybe he just didn't really have great deep threats.... Plus they went 12-2 with a Conference Championship and finished top 5. I mean what exactly are we saying we NEED from Mario here? If we can get those stats AND dominate running the ball like Mario wants to do, I don't see the issue.

Have u seen Coach Hayes breakdown of the MTSU disaster? If not, go take a look. Part of our problem is Gattis, & the other part is indeed the players. There were many wide open players in that MTSU game, in which both Jake & TVD predetermined their throws vs. going through progressions. We also have multiple missed blocking assignments or simply our OLmen just being walked or rag dogged into the back field.

In regards to Parrish; remember Parrish was wide open in the flat against A&M & the ball was dropped. With that being said, yeah, we need more creativity out of the back field. Hopefully that will be addressed this bye week AND these two backs r healthy.

That’s next on my list of videos to watch.

I would agree that, excluding the redzone playcalling holding us back, the offense’s missteps have been a group effort

My “to-do” list for the offense going into UNC:

1. OL improvement - remove #70
2. Lean heavy on the easy / quick passing game. Lots of screens and RPO
3. Piggybacking off 2, setup the QB with early and easy success so that they have confidence if we gotta have a shootout
4. Drastically different gameplan for the red zone, especially for short yardage situations
5. More off tackle and outside running plays

"It was plain for all to see that Herbert’s sophomore season was a prelude to his ability to be an elite QB in the right system. Regrettably, Cristobal’s system shackled, and hid away Herbert’s true talent for his final two seasons at Oregon."

"Anthony Brown started the 2017 season opener for Boston College, becoming only the second freshman to do so. Brown went on to play in 22 games over the next two seasons, but statistically, Brown never set the world on fire.

The 2019 season saw Boston College hire new offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian, who had been in the NFL from 2015 – 2018 with Tampa Bay as their quarterback coach. Brown suffered a season-ending injury in the second quarter of the sixth game of the season at Louisville, but his stats showed dramatic improvement.

Brown’s 2019 completion percentage was 59.1%. He averaged 9.1 yards per completion, with a passer rating of 154.5.

Brown had arrived with his per yard pass completion sitting in almost the Top 10 of FBS and a passing rating inside the Top 20. With a 2020 QB transfer class that included Jamie Newman, D’Eriq King, J.T. Daniels, and K.J. Costello, The Sporting News rated Brown the No. 9 transfer quarterback for the upcoming season.

Not surprisingly, given Cristobal’s track record of his risk adverse offensive philosophy, Brown’s numbers regressed from his final year at Boston College.

Brown increased his completion percentage by 5%, but his yards per completions dropped by 1.4 yards per pass. The QB’s passer rating of 141.0 was a 13.5 point drop, and Brown’s yards per completion and passer rating dropped out of the Top 10 and 20 in FBS.

Brown’s last start came in the Alamo Bowl, where Oregon finally discovered the deep ball during the second half. The anemic Ducks offense suddenly put up 29 second half points. Brown threw for over 300 yards, dropping dimes downfield for three touchdowns as he closed out his career at Oregon. For Ducks fans, after suffering through four years of Cristobal’s offense, they finally saw an offense designed to complement Brown’s strengths in the second half of the Alamo Bowl."

"The Oregon Ducks of 2019 were fantastic. They finished the season 12-2 with a Rose Bowl win and had arguably the best defense in school history. Herbert was a top ten draft pick at QB, and he was pressured at one of the lowest rates in the FBS. So why was Herbert’s draft stock in question? Simply put, he didn’t look spectacular.

Sure, 3,471 yards 32 touchdowns and six interceptions are not stats to laugh at. But completing less than 70% of his passes, having multiple games with no touchdowns accounted for and being compared to a quarterback named Joe Burrow, who had the greatest season in college football history from a passing perspective left many wanting more from the Ducks QB.

Flash forward a year and there is a massive debate happening in NFL circles about if maybe Herbert is a better QB than Burrow. Herbert spends all day every Sunday throwing absolute bombs for touchdowns. With several of the longest passes (in the air) in the league this season, Herbert has proven to have one of the best arms in the league and has shown off tremendous touch never before seen from the former Oregon Duck.

The revelation that Herbert is this good should frighten Cristobal.

The top two quarterbacks taken in the 2020 draft had the number one and number three best scoring offenses in college football. The presumptive top two QB’s in the 2021 NFL Draft have the number one and number four best scoring offenses in the current college football season. The point being that having a top QB should give you a top offense and yet Oregon’s 2019 offense ranked 14th in ppg. Nothing to laugh at, but they averaged 12 points per game less than Burrow’s LSU Tigers.

This bodes poorly for Cristobal, despite the departure of Marcus Arroyo (who should be equally scared). If you have a great offensive line and a top QB, along with a solid group of receivers, it stands to reason that you should have a top five offense. Even if he wasn’t the play caller, Cristobal is still an offensive minded coach, and he should be worried that one of the most talented offenses we will ever see in Eugene could only manage 35 points per game."

Careful with the bias here. Fishduck was appealing to Oregon fans upset with the O at the time.

See my post above.

Fish duck TOTALLY ignores that Herbert had far less talent around him compared to Burrow, Tua, Fields, and Lawrence who he referenced in the tidbit you posted.

Burrow had two first round WRs and a 1st round RB.

Tua had 4 first round receivers, 2 that year and 2 the year later. Also elite backs.

Fields had Olave and Wilson. Sermon at RB and Ruckert at TE were also 3rd rounders. Smith Ngiba was 7th leading receiver and is the star receiver when healthy now.

Lawrence had the weakest supporting cast with Amari Rodgers 3rd round, Powell 5th round at WR, and a pass catching 1st round RB in Etienne.

Oregon fans wanted those results because they had Herbert surrounded by JAGS.

It's a laughable comparison really.

Advertisement
That’s next on my list of videos to watch.

I would agree that, excluding the redzone playcalling holding us back, the offense’s missteps have been a group effort

My “to-do” list for the offense going into UNC:

1. OL improvement - remove #70
2. Lean heavy on the easy / quick passing game. Lots of screens and RPO
3. Piggybacking off 2, setup the QB with early and easy success so that they have confidence if we gotta have a shootout
4. Drastically different gameplan for the red zone, especially for short yardage situations
5. More off tackle and outside running plays
Agree, 1000%

Careful with the bias here. Fishduck was appealing to Oregon fans upset with the O at the time.

See my post above.

Fish duck TOTALLY ignores that Herbert had far less talent around him compared to Burrow, Tua, Fields, and Lawrence who he referenced in the tidbit you posted.

Burrow had two first round WRs and a 1st round RB.

Tua had 4 first round receivers, 2 that year and 2 the year later. Also elite backs.

Fields had Olave and Wilson. Sermon at RB and Ruckert at TE were also 3rd rounders. Smith Ngiba was 7th leading receiver and is the star receiver when healthy now.

Lawrence had the weakest supporting cast with Amari Rodgers 3rd round, Powell 5th round at WR, and a pass catching 1st round RB in Etienne.

Oregon fans wanted those results because they had Herbert surrounded by JAGS.

It's a laughable comparison really.

UM had the #26 offense in CFB in 2020 and averaged more than 34 PPG with D'Eriq King at QB.
UM had the #23 offense in CFB in 2021 and averaged more 34 PPG for the 2nd year in a row mostly with TVD at QB. So that's two different QBs with vastly different styles and yet UM nearly had a top 25 offense for consecutive years.

In 2020, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Harley, Brevin Jordan, Mark Pope, and Dee Wiggins. Of all those players, only Jordan was drafted, in the 5th round (he barely sees the field). In 2020, Jordan also missed 3 games and wasn't healthy a good part of the season. Harley was a marginally talented WR but reliable. He ended up as a UDFA (not sure if is still on a roster). Both Pope and Wiggins later transferred and they currently barely play at their respective schools. That's pretty much a bunch of JAGs catching the ball yet it was still near top 25.

In 2021, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Rambo, Harley, Mallory, and K. Smith. Manny Diaz went into the portal to get Rambo because he knew the WR corps was so weak. Harley, as previously mentioned, was a UDFA and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played a NFL snap. Both Mallory and K. Smith are still on the roster. Outside of Rambo, again a bunch of JAGs.

So how is that Manny Diaz managed to squeeze out near top 25 production for consecutive years from a group of marginally talented pass catchers and with two different QBs, but Mario Cristobal with an even more experienced OL and two experienced QBs on the roster, can't even manage 23 PPG (which is being generous, and is considerably inflated because of blowing up BCU)? You honestly believe there has been a gigantic dropoff in talent at TE/WR since between 2021 and 2022? We had JAGs then, we have JAGs now, the difference is that we had coaches that somehow managed to get far more out of the marginal pass catching talent on the team.

UM had the #26 offense in CFB in 2020 and averaged more than 34 PPG with D'Eriq King at QB.
UM had the #23 offense in CFB in 2021 and averaged more 34 PPG for the 2nd year in a row mostly with TVD at QB. So that's two different QBs with vastly different styles and yet UM nearly had a top 25 offense for consecutive years.

In 2020, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Harley, Brevin Jordan, Mark Pope, and Dee Wiggins. Of all those players, only Jordan was drafted, in the 5th round (he barely sees the field). In 2020, Jordan also missed 3 games and wasn't healthy a good part of the season. Harley was a marginally talented WR but reliable. He ended up as a UDFA (not sure if is still on a roster). Both Pope and Wiggins later transferred and they currently barely play at their respective schools. That's pretty much a bunch of JAGs catching the ball yet it was still near top 25.

In 2021, UM's top 4 leading receivers were Rambo, Harley, Mallory, and K. Smith. Manny Diaz went into the portal to get Rambo because he knew the WR corps was so weak. Harley, as previously mentioned, was a UDFA and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't played a NFL snap. Both Mallory and K. Smith are still on the roster. Outside of Rambo, again a bunch of JAGs.

So how is that Manny Diaz managed to squeeze out near top 25 production for consecutive years from a group of marginally talented pass catchers and with two different QBs, but Mario Cristobal with an even more experienced OL and two experienced QBs on the roster, can't even manage 23 PPG (which is being generous, and is considerably inflated because of blowing up BCU)? You honestly believe there has been a gigantic dropoff in talent at TE/WR since between 2021 and 2022? We had JAGs then, we have JAGs now, the difference is that we had coaches that somehow managed to get far more out of the marginal pass catching talent on the team.
We were going nowhere with those coaches and after a few games are ready to quit on the current staff it seems.

We threw to Rambo. We don’t have a Rambo.

I have never seen a UM team lack speed like this team at every position and in both sides of the ball. That and the lack of heart (can’t be measured but it’s MTSU for the love of god) is the reason we get what we get.

Deserves and needs time.

You know if we were 4-0 none of this would be coming out about QB under development. although I did see some point like that being made in the summer.

Being 2-2 with wins over garbage teams and 1 LOSE vs a garbage team will bring out everything, and believe me all of it is completely justified.

Almost feel like we are at a fork in the road, with a loss to UNC we might just get there

Advertisement

easy...he hired an OC that had a scheme that wasn't from 1940 and stayed the fck out of his way...

Oh man this dude spittin.

Advertisement
Riley runs a spread offense with tons of Rpo. His offense not only spreads you thin they‘re attacking you vertically and horizontally. He also has OL blocking as if it’s a run on pass plays and vice versa. He’s constantly putting pressure on every level of your defense. On top of that there’s eye candy being thrown around to make the defense more unsure of their assignment. He steals a touchdown or two every game just by eye manipulation.
I want this offense immediately

Make excuses.

The last couple weeks I’ve heard coaches blaming the wr’s , It hasn’t been a secret going back to spring. Then we bench our qb and suddenly it starts leaking out that the wr’s didn’t like him and it’s been his fault. He’s made them look worse than what they are lol. I mean who wouldn’t want to be in this foxhole with this staff, players and fans? It’s all good until you hit rock bottom then we gotta find a scape goat.

We‘ve had fans sliding in to defend the honor of coaches who have suspect resumes when it comes to offense and developing qb’s. Quick to throw a kid under the bus as a “ jag” or “bum”. Fact is I said TVD didn’t look right during the Bcu game and the S Miss game. Constant patting of the ball and choppy feet is a giveaway. I also said this offense was a dramatic change from Rhett. It’s very complicated. Which makes no sense in 2022, when you only get so much time in the class room. **** even the NFL has gone the way of college offenses, making it easier for qb’s to adapt to the pro game. On top of that the game is heavily slanted to the offense.

Yesterday MTSU repeatedly outnumbered Miami in the box by one, two , sometimes three men yet we still ran right into the teeth of the defense. That’s the definition of insanity. We’d rather lose and make a point versus doing the alternative. This offense is fish in a barrel , MTSU had the gun.

I’ve said my piece on playing in space , how it makes the game easier for the qb’s, wr’s, Ol and even the Oc’s calling plays. It makes disguising harder for the defense, it spreads them thin. But we’re way past that argument now.

We’re at the point where Mario evolves like Saban offensively or keeps beating his head in the wall. He’s hard headed as F so I know which way I’m leaning. When you say In the presser “ they had us outnumbered most plays , but we couldn’t block them up“ tells you everything. He’s talking execution when they had a one or two body advantage. That’s just stupid and something a caveman would say. You ever heard of “ work smarter , not harder?

I‘ve said for awhile If they aren’t tailoring this O to Tvd’s skill set they need to just go to Garcia. This scheme is more fitting for him. Just like I did with King and TVD last year. It looks like we’ve gotten the answer on that. Sadly it took four games to come to that conclusion.

This staff is being paid too much to put that product on the field , there’s no excuses. Hopefully everyone is doing some self evaluation. Maybe spend more time doing that than throwing players and teammates under the bus. Only the people in the locker room can fix this. There’s only two ways this thing can go.
Im going to say 3 ways because we tend to do sideways pretty well.

They just hadn’t opened it up yet
Animated GIF

Advertisement
In 14 games Herbert's senior year, he had 32 TDs.
- 5 of those games he threw 1TD or less (2 of those he had zero).
- 18 of his 36 TDS came in 4 games against Montana (5), Nevada (5), Arizona (4) and Washington (4). Washington is the only decent defense in that bunch.
- For reference, Arizona was 126th in passing D, Nevada was 99th and Washington was 56th.

- He also threw the ball 30 times or less 8 of those games, more than half. 6 of those 8 were 28 passes or less.
- He threw for <200 in each of his final 3 college games (Oregon State, Utah and Wisconsin)......<250 in 7 of this 14 senior games.
- Again for reference, Oregon State was 117th in passing D while Utah and Wisconsin were tied for 12th.

Mario had a Top10 NFL QB and just refused to use him. I honestly think that's one reason Herbert's only weakness right now in the NFL is closing out games. He wasn't asked to do it in college. All they did was run. If Mario wants to succeed in Miami, he needs to be able to modernize his attack (and demand so from his OC) to not simply have tunnel vision to control games with the run to give his D a rest (something i do agree with at times bc Manny wasn't able to do it and it showed) but also put up points with the pass, and help set up runs with the pass, AS WELL as recruit all those skill positions. If you tilt too far to one side, you lose interest from those recruits. Bama and Ohio State have found a nice balance with that. Gattis imo is NOT that guy. His passing schemes are leaving a lot to be desired at this point and like Manny, he appears stubborn thus far to make tweaks. It seems like each stop Gattis was at, he was a co-OC or had a coach step in at some point. I'm starting to see why.

Miami has had 3 cupcakes on the schedule plus A&M. Yet this offense is 77th in yards per play. AWFUL and unacceptable in every way.
I knew something was off about this post; I let it breathe for a minute, but u can thank @TimeBum for posting that Fishduck article.

I think what we have going on here is what’s called confirmation biased. U’re telling a story, but u’re not telling the full story, just like that Fishduck article.

U brought up Herbert’s Sr yr, which is great; however Mario had Justin for his Jr & Sr yr, & I noticed u left that part out.

For reference, since Timebum posted the Fishduck article, it mentioned Herbert’s sophomore yr before Mario stating, w/o facts, that Mario ruined him. OK, what do the in depth stats say:

Justin’s Sophomore Yr (2017):
-He threw the ball 30+ times in 3 of the 8 games he played. (37.5%)*
*This included Mario’s 1st game as interim coach in the LV bowl

-He threw the ball 28+ times in 4 of the 8 games he played (50%)*

-The defenses he faced were ranked as follows:
So. Utah (FCS Total Def 91st / 116th Passing Def)
OrSt (120th Total Def / 83rd Passing Def)
Arizona (118th Total Def / 123rd Passing Def)
ASU (108th Total Def / 120th Passing Def
Nebraska (100th Total Def / 60th Passing Def)
Cal (95th Total Def / 112th Passing Def)
Wyoming (23rd Total Def / 13th Passing Def)
Boise St (22nd Total Def / 49th Passing Def)

So the two best defenses he faced were G5 opponents.

-He played one top 25 opponent, BSU in the LV Bowl Game

Yet:
-He only threw for 2+ TDs in 4 of the 8 games he played*

-3 of those games came against NU, ASU, OrSt, w/ the 4th coming against Boise St (the game Mario coached)

-He threw for 250+ in 5 of the 8 games (62.5%)

-UO’s Passing O ranked 94th

-UO’s Passing/Completion ranked 77th

By comparison Herbert’s Junior yr (2018):
-He threw the ball 30+ times in 9 of the 13 games played (69%) including career high’s 40+ times in back to back games.

-The Defenses he faced were as follows:
Portland St (82nd FCS Total Def / 74th Passing Def)
OrSt (128th Total Def / 101st Passing Def)
SJSt (125th Total Def / 126th Passing Def)
BGBU (106th Total Def / 6th Passing Def)
UCLA (102nd Total Def / 88th Passing Def)
Arizona (92nd Total Def / 120th Passing Def)
Stanford (78th Total Def / 114th Passing Def)
ASU (73rd Total Def / 71st Passing Def)
WASU (42nd Total Def / 56th Passing Def)
Cal (15th Total Def / 9th Passing Def)
Utah (14th Total Def / 53rd Passing Def)
Washington (12th Total Def / 25th Passing Def)
MSU (10th Total Def / 62nd Passing Def)

-He played four Top 25 opponents (all P5)

So despite playing a better schedule, against tougher defenses, Herbert did this w/ Mario:
-He threw for 2+ TDs in 9 of his 13 games played (3 of those games came against the 42nd, 15th, & 14th ranked defenses)

-He threw for 250+ in 8 of the 13 games played (61.5%)

-UO’s Passing O ranked 49th

-UO’s Passing/Completion ranked 37th

Now, what does tell me? Absolutely nothing except Mario did not “ruin” Herbert. That fishduck article was not & did not tell the whole story. The only thing I can & will say is that Mario, knowing what he had in Herbert, could’ve & should’ve used him more extensively his Sr yr. He did not get every ounce out of him that he could, & left a lot on the table to exploit. Regardless it’s a moot point, b/c when Herbert was tossing the rock his Jr Yr, they went 9-4. When the offense became more balanced, Herbert’s overall numbers increased, and the team went 12-2, so what r we really arguing here?

Last edited:

End thread.

Can’t really call a coach a QB killer when his QB got drafted top 10 in the draft. Now the development of WIdeouts is a different story.

Advertisement
Back