The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The main reason I said that was because Prince was a GUEST on that song. The songs you listed here were written for those guitarists, to have those solos. But that being said, to answer ur question… YES. IMO, better than the 1st 2, and as complex and nuanced as the last 2. His solo, lick for lick, is right there. Not saying his is better than the last 2, but to me, it’d right there.
Go watch the Guitarist from Leonid & Friends on YOUTUBE on the cover of 25 or 6 to 4....and Holler back

Advertisement
Advertisement
enjoy, not my type of camping, but you have a good game plan. i camp on small islands in the bahamas. i don't do it enough because most of my fishing friends are a bunch of snobs and prefer a hotel, but whatever.
Oh I would do that also.. or just sleep on the boat. One of my most productive techniques was to work my flats boat as far back into creeks as I could on the falling tide.. get stuck in there high and dry. I'd then sleep on the deck until the tide came back in and float the boat. Then I'd fish my way back out and work the reds like a madman.

Gilmour is my personal favorite. He didn't have the shredding or technicality of some of the other guys mentioned but he had a better feel than most.
"I'm of the belief that a player like David Gilmour could do more with one note than some of today's shredders can do with a dozen."

"If someone could go up and get a big fat scoop of what heaven tastes like, that's David Gilmour's playing right there. I can't put it any other way; it just feels so otherworldly."

- Dave Mustaine

Advertisement
I watched some more "OC Candle" games today and his general offensive scheme with Woodside looked like:

- Base 3-4 WR sets, wide splits though not as stretched out as Lashlee, some empty sets and a few tight formations
- Lots of playaction/RPO
- Screen game is "logical" - RB is almost always a passing option, some tunnel/bubble screens but not as the basis for the entire offense
- Routes were vert/post heavy with some comebacks and outs, and some mirrored post routes
- A good amount of motion but nothing crazy - flexing in/out, some orbit RB motion and some HB across the formation
- outside/inside zone running - Kareem Hunt ran for almost 1500 yards in 2016 and added over 400 receiving yards

Major caveat of course is its 2023, not 2016 and he's been running that pistol/bunch zone read offense with middling success since he lost Woodside. But the above is what I'd expect here with TVD, IMO of course.

Watched those Bowling Green highlights from this past season and the running game was almost predominantly power/gap scheme as well.

Definitely looked like power spread in that game, not sure if that’s something that switches game to game/season to season based on personal or anything else.

I was saying that in reference to the fact that this thread has morphed into the same thing that happened last year during the OC search lol
so you like the album also?

by the way, i go on music runs. i am listening right now (literally, ear buds in the head) to all of bob marley's music, from the first album to the last and all compilations. some of the early music is underrated, although primitively produced. his 1975 live album is better than the first few albums.

Advertisement
And on technical ability today there probably isn't a better guitar player than Guthrie Govan. Shawn Lane before him, RIP.
****, I didn't think I would see Govan mentioned but he is a monster. He can do it all and in my top 3.

He can shred better than most but can belt out a Gilmour-esque feel type solo as well.

If you're a fan of his and haven't heard of Steven Wilson, I would highly recommend checking out the album "The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)" his solo on the track "Drive Home" was a warmup, one take that Wilson liked so much, he wouldn't let Govan do another take because he liked it so much.

Watched those Bowling Green highlights from this past season and the running game was almost predominantly power/gap scheme as well.

Definitely looked like power spread in that game, not sure if that’s something that switches game to game/season to season based on personal or anything else.
I was just about to edit my post that I watched some more of Hunt and they used quite a bit of that inside power/trap play with a pulling guard or HB as well. Good catch.

Reactions: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back